This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner belts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gleaner belts
    Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 7:55pm
I recently purchased a K Gleaner, most of the belts are in excellent shape, as the combine was stored inside. But several like the main drive belt and the V/S belt are in need of replacement. So my question is do I go with O/E Agco belts, or aftermarket, just curious what others are using, this is my first Gleaner. If aftermarket, what brand ?.

Thanks, Lee
B212
Willy's Jeeps
Gleaner K
Sponsored Links

Ben (MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben (MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 8:31pm
I don't buy AGCO unless it is all that is available. Sandy Lake can usually get AGCO or aftermarket parts and they go above and beyond to help. Also Shoup has been a good place to get parts including belts.
Part time farming with a 1980 7060 and 1984 F3 hydro.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 8:42pm
What is the issue with the main drive belt? I have grown up with Gleaners ;A,F, F2 and NEVER changed THAT belt,lucky I guess. We have had good luck so far with belts from SHOUPES
Lee (MN) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

What is the issue with the main drive belt? I have grown up with Gleaners ;A,F, F2 and NEVER changed THAT belt,lucky I guess. We have had good luck so far with belts from SHOUPES

The "Issue is", it's throwing rubber off it!, I'm sure it's O/E to the combine (1974 model), same with the V/S belt. They may last a couple years but I'd rather replace them and not face down time next summer harvesting Rye. I drove this home 10-12 miles last Sunday so it does work, LOL. All the belts on the grain head have been replaced with Agco belts. The PO was an Allis man. Thanks for the info!.

Lee
B212
Willy's Jeeps
Gleaner K
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 9:12pm
Time for a new one,LOL!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 9:43pm
At least have the replacement belts in hand and run the old ones until they go out.  It doesn't take all that much time to replace them.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Lee (MN) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

At least have the replacement belts in hand and run the old ones until they go out.  It doesn't take all that much time to replace them.

I will replace them, keep the old ones for backup!

Here's a couple shot of it!

LeeWink
B212
Willy's Jeeps
Gleaner K
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 10:28pm
For some reason, seems like dad and I replaced the traction belt out in the field, not 100%sure but seems like the drive wheel had to come off to do it?? Was on an F machine but 17 years ago LOL!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 11:49pm
traction belts can be put on without taking the wheel and tire off. chances are the lower sheave is not moving, they stick when they sit sum. if it's not moving in and out it'll tear that belt up before you get 20 ft!
DanD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 1:46am
Id check on the AGCO belt prices though. Have seen them less that a parts store belt for the same application.
Lee (MN) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by DanD DanD wrote:

Id check on the AGCO belt prices though. Have seen them less that a parts store belt for the same application.

I certanly will. On my Allis Garden tractors, the O/E belts are the only way to go!, if the combine belts are a few bucks more I'll get Agco.

Lee
B212
Willy's Jeeps
Gleaner K
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 6:47pm
SHAMELESS, All I remember about the belt change was it required a 20 ton jack and gobs of cribbage to lift that side of the axle to get the wheel off the ground to remove it for clearance. I thought/read you ran RED COMBINES??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic