This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

getting into pulling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: getting into pulling
    Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 5:32am
My brother and I are wanting to get into pulling and have a couple tractors we would like to setup to pull.  Between the two of us we have probably 5 hooks, on a stock tractor, lol 

Since we arnt even really started yet, I was interested in some input on this: Is the guide worth the money for a couple NOOBS?  Seems like a smart thing to get was wondering if anyone has it, and what their thoughts are?  We dont have anyone nearby that pulls, for us to learn from.  We are anxious to get started.

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Sponsored Links

Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 6:50am
 A person needs to have reasonable expectations from such guides. If you think it will tell you to twist bolt A a couple turns and put a weight here or there and run this tire and you will be in the top three every week I'd guess you will be disappointed.  I haven't pulled myself for 20 years now but dirt tracked for years and drag raced prior to that and both sports had guides written with similar approaches. Very likely some good basic information in it that will keep you from heading out into left field as you get started and thus getting embarrassed at the track but you will still have to live and learn. For $20 I'd give it a look if I was where you are.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 6:57am
Lots of good info on here. Ask questions, ask for pictures for ideas and take advice from several good forum members. Just don't take advice from one certain keyboard commando.
The Other Orange View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Other Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 7:57am
I wouldnt waste my money on it. Most guys and gals dont win right away it just takes seat time. Look at what the winning ACs around you are doing as far as hitches/weight brackets and weight placement. Ask questions most guys will tell you what there doing. Tires are so important in the 3-4mph classes.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 11:53am
Best thing to do is to find out the rules for your area and pulls you will be attending.  If you're going for a class with stock type tire sizes and 3 mph speed limit, stock drawbar, then do your engine and chassis mods according, meaning verry little.

If you can or wish to run any gear, 20% over RPM then be prepared to drop some cash but with 5 hooks under your belt so far then I'd worry about finding some decent tires and rims, getting a decent adjustable hitch made and weight brackets.  Biggest thing is to try and do your upgrades so you don't have to do it over when you decide to move up. 

What tractor are you starting with?  Ask and look around at some ideas for weight brackets and an adjustable hitch.

Good pull comeing up in Lincoln Ne. for you Kansas guys.  Cornhusker Classic.  It may be wise to attend and look at a few tractors and talk to some pullers weather you're thinking of something like a NATPA DIV 2  which is pretty stock, div 3 is fun, 4 and 5 are pretty spendy and tough.  I went down there last year, great facility and large amount of tractors.

Edited by wi50 - 17 Jan 2013 at 11:55am
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 1:12pm
I have the Guide and it was interesting but it didn't tell me anything that I didn't know.
I do like the gear/speed/power listing for most antique tractors, it really shows what you *should* be up against.
His monthly emails are interesting also.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
AC200Puller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC200Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 4:31pm
What are you starting with for a tractor? Let us know and we can get you started , just remember it isn't something that just happens you will be changing for years before you will have it where you want to be. Its a great sport! Get out the wrenches and get going on it!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 5:00pm
Set-up your front and rear weight brackets so they use the same style of weight on both ends of the tractor. If you don't do this, you'll someday remember reading this post.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 8:01pm
well thank you for all the input.  I plan on asking plenty of questions, but i also love to scour archives and olds posts here and on YT.  i usually search for a while before i ask a question.  I have been downloading pics of weight brackets and hitches.

We will be pulling NATPA div 2 and 3.  That is what the club we will pull with uses for rules, not planning on touring the country for NATPA points lol.  so nothing too wild.   We plan on a cam grind and a few more cubes.  Im sure well stay under 300 as we arnt interested in doing extensive block modifications.   I am curious as to what your opinions are as to how much motor to build for div 2-3?

My brother bought a 37 WC we will be picking up this weekend.  It was a puller/project someone started, from what i can tell the only thing done is 14.9-28 rears on pressed steel.  otherwise looks to be stock, so we'll be starting from scratch.
Eventually I want to pull with my 37 UC but we will probably build the WC first and try to learn a few things. Big smile

Edited by CAL(KS) - 17 Jan 2013 at 8:09pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
2wise4agm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wise4agm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 12:03pm
I can't help you on the division II rules or motor, but I will put in my .02. I started last year with my 190 and I didn't watch or pull near enough before starting on my tractor. Now I'm finding that I'm wanting to change my tires, hitch, weight brackets, etc because I didn't know enough the first time around. I wanted to be competitive right out of the gate, and I should have just been paying attention to everyone else and soaking up info. But it is one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done, and most of the pullers are great people and will help out another puller if they can.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic