This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting a d21 have Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting a d21 have Questions
    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 8:11pm
I’m getting a d21 in a little over a week It’s a series 1 with a series 2 motor and turbo the muffler is outside the Hood and like 5 foot tall. Question is aren’t all d21s turbo or not have muffler under the hood. It won’t fit in my barn with this tall muffler. Is there a muffler with the turbo or is it straight pipe and if it still needs a muffler is the factory one under the hood. If I can put muffler under the hood or put just a short pipe on it I can keep it inside. So much for having extra room in my barn. Is the d21 all solid gears and clutch like a b or c where there is no hydrolic clutch and you could pull start it just curious not going too. Hasn’t ran in 8 years is there anything to really check on these besides normal fluid and filter changes and clean fuel system. Why do some have chrome grill and some painted. This is bare back tractor with just hitch and hydrolics. D21s have any bad things like rear ends or axles.   Thanks guys will post pic and more stuff when I pick it up - Ryan
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 8:59pm
Series 1 no turbo and under the hood muffler with 103 HP.  Series 2 with turbo/eng oil cooler no muffler straight pipe 127 HP.  8 speeds can pull start.  Known for axle bearing/bull gear problems and weak brakes.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 9:52pm
Tractors with turbos should not have mufflers.  Just a straight pipe.  A muffler will put a damper on the turbo's performance by restricting air flow.
Series Is without the turbo had a horizontal muffler under the hood with a 4' pipe coming up through the hood.

There is no hydraulic clutch.  Just a 4 speed tranny with a 2 speed box - Foot clutch must be used at all times.

Regarding the chrome grille, I think it was the earlier models that had it.  They went to the painted grilles sometime after 66.  Mine is an early 66 and it is chrome.

The rear ends are not as strong as a 220, but if you are not doing any real heavy plowing you shouldn't have any problems. 

Be sure to post pictures when you get it home!

'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
MattLF9 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattLF9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 10:37pm
It should be illegal to run a 426 with any type of muffler.
A little CQB never hurt anybody.
ryanschott View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanschott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 12:34pm
So what you guys are saying send the muffler down the road. I can do that would fix problem of being in the way real easy
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:58am
Just don't forget your earplugs....when you get some age on ya you'll be glad you had em.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic