This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

844 25000 engine question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valleyfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 844 25000 engine question
    Posted: 31 Dec 2014 at 10:47pm
My question is if you take a 844 out of a HD21 or 16 that's around 200 HP. Would it be okay to turn up to 325 HP.I think it should because the cubic inches are there but I also don't know everything so what do you think?
Sponsored Links

HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 12:37am
Tiz like every engine. they are all designed to put out that full rated horsepower all day long in each particular application.
They can all push out more; but only in a intermittent application, ie 1 hour or less at maximum output, then less for another hour.
Cats 3208 V8 engine was a classic case. In a turbocharged marine application it was capable of 425hp. But only for the 10 minutes or less needed to get the boat up and planing. after that it only needed half the horsepower to keep it there.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 3:10pm
later ones would probably be ok but i would not turn up a 16000 or 21000 as they have smaller crank journals.  much harder to find bearings for these 3 vavle head engines than the later 16000H- 25000 etc.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 3:54pm
Was a wrench for a number of years(decades), displacement and fuel are not the only points of contention for HP, there is cam timing(valve position), compression ratio and other minor changes primarily metalurgical that need be addressed. Do not know about Allis but Cummins and Caterpillar both had engine casting levels for differed HP rates, on Cummins a series of numbers are cast into the block on the right side looking from flywheel end, as the casting was graded one of the four numbers was ground away IE 1,2,3,4. A #1 block was high nickel high pressure tolerant where a #4 was useful as a stationary engine low HP high rpm continuous operation only. Try to put a series four into a heavy truck and leaks would develop first them fatigue failure of liner bores. Cat had their 'second rate' engines as well primarily for mundane simple high rpm low power ops.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 4:51pm
DMiller, Thanks for that info.  First day of the year and I've already learned something!

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
valleyfarmer View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valleyfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 7:41pm
A guy would have to do some allis Chalmers research! Since a dozer engine is not stationary I'd assume would be okay on that end but would have to check everything
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic