This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD11 EP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD11 EP
    Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 9:01pm
I seen a HD11EP advertised and wondered what it would be worth. It has hydraulic tilt. Says it needs a turbo and first gear in the powershift is slow. Any ideas on the powershift? Pads look slick, but I asked for pictures of the rails and sprockets. Are these a good machine?
Sponsored Links

Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 12:36am
Maybe clutch pressure is low on 1st gear pack(s). A trans rebuild may be needed, but often, the cost of the parts needed is not excessive, and if you do it yourself, it wont cost a lot. As with all the post second world war HD series crawlers (HD5 to HD21), they are very good tractors. 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 4:02pm
Allis units were pretty popular in MO as I have found, many were old State owned machines and have been sold many times.

The EP is one of the later units so should be a pretty dependable old machine but again is an old machine with minimal prospects for repair parts. Most 11 series tractors have been sold for around the $5-7000 range that I have seen go. Check the rails before go too far, these use the same pitch as my machine 7.0 and are really scarce to non-existent. Can be converted to something else but costly.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 9:55pm
Still a very good "farm duty" machine, and can be picked up much cheaper than comparable D6C.  I've worked on quite a few HD11s, parts are getting harder to find, but I haven't been stumped yet, other than trying to find a reversible fan.  Good used undercarriage can still be found, just looked at a couple of good used track groups (rails and pads) for HD11E last month, also looked at an 11-B which had been converted to CAT tracks- looked real good.
Early EPs had American Bosch injection pump, later models had Roosa Master, both are hard to find parts for.
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 6:31pm
It looks like the undercarriage is shot on it. Looks like it's been jumping the sprocket on the left side. He's asking $4900 or best offer. Are rails and sprockets still available, or could it be converted over to 8" pitch?
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 12:35pm
Undercarriage can still be found, you'd have to figure on 5K for rails and sprockets, though. (new sprocket rings are around 1K, or could probably get adapter ring and segments for a bit more, between 3-4K for good used rails, shipping in)
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 12:52pm
Drop some final drive oil on the side its been jumping the sprocket to see if there are fragments of teeth from bullgear and bullgear pinion. That can result from the severe impact of srocket jumping
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 5:23pm
Some people don't like the AC final drive because the bearings need to be re-set, but the best feature is that they are easy to work on, and quite affordable to rebuild, compared to the CAT design, which requires heavy tools.  I was just talking to an HD11 owner the other day, and he said "that Fiat is a poor man's cat".  He had broken a final drive shaft, pulled the track frames off out in the bush, and rebuilt the final drives for less than $5000 (this is a few years ago) doing all the work himself.  Several years later, he had final drive problems with his D7F, and of course didn't have the proper tools.  He had the dealer come out, and it cost $41000.  "The sad part is", he said, "I'm not sure I get any more work done in a day than I did with the 11-B, and I feel like I'm sittin' in a damn tub."  He had a big bar welded on the dozer to get up high on trees, and a bit to split stumps, his brother had a D6C, but it wouldn't touch it.  D6 might have been the earlier low horse model, though, and did have wider track shoes- the only thing that Cat had better was the 3 speed transmission, which guys really liked.  The Allis crawler tractors were as good as any on the market in the 70s, but had lost much of their market share by that time, and the FIAT merger did nothing to improve the situation.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 5:29pm
I love HD11s.  On a recent trip to Idaho, I stopped and looked at 5 or 6 HD11's- I should have a bumper sticker that says "I brake for A-C".  Also spotted an HD6E and 21C on the side of the road.  Haven't come across an HD41 yet, will for sure brake for one of those.  Missouri must be the HD11 capital, though.  Might have to tour through there one day.  Stopped to look at a D11R out in SK too- nice big chunk of iron.
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 7:31pm
I don't know of anyone who has owned an HD-11 and didn't feel it was an excellent machine. I have two, would like to have an HD-11EP, myself. Mine are both HD-11S Tractors. I have a complete undercarriage off an HD-11AG (10,000+ serial number) that was being rebuilt until the parts to complete it had been misplaced. The rails are 80-90% with pins and bushings having just been turned, grousers are good, Idlers are very good with rock guards, Rollers are all new (all single flange, unfortunately), Sprocket rims are new. I had a buyer for the rails and rollers, but haven't heard from Him in some time! I am in San Diego, also have a place in AZ and would be willing to meet somewhere in the area.
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 12:41am
I decided to pass on the HD11. I think it would be a decent machine with some work, but I'm afraid of the parts availability. My great grandpa bought a new HD11EC with a torque converter from Cook tractor in chillicothe in the 60's and they eventually repossessed the machine because he went broke with it. He had a d6 9u before it and had real good luck with it, but the allis was nothing but problems. Not saying they aren't good machines, but that one sounded like a lemon, and being one of the few EC models. My grandpa said he didn't like how you could pull up to a tree and the engine wouldn't lug down like a direct clutch and wouldn't spin the track. He had a d7 17a which would walk circles around the EC and lug way down. We still have the 17a. I'm not afraid of this machine because I'm sure there were lots of improvements in 10 years time otherwise nobody would have bought them. I'm just afraid of internal parts availability
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 1:52am
Access to a donar tractor would be the ticket. The Allis equivilent of D7 17A is HD16, not HD11. If your grandpa could honestly say his D7 would walk circles around an HD16, that would completely contradictory to all of the comments I`ve heard from tractor loggers and mountain tractor men with 50 years plus experience running them
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 7:58am
The 17a is non turboed at 128 hp I figured the HD11 was atleast that? Again though I've never ran an hd11 and I would love to own one.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 8:53am
I am interested in an HD11B for sale near me. Where can I find year and serial number information and when the design improvments took effect? Unfortunatly this machine does not run so I can't tell if the steering clutches work. What should I pay for a machine that does not run?
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 8:56am
17a and HD16A were the comparable tractor in their day.  HD11 is much lighter.  Going from direct drive to a torque converter machine is quite a learning curve.  The EC/DC/AC had their place, but fell out of favor after PS came along.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 10:49am
The Fiat Allis Service Publications Index shows all the changes on the HD11 page George. It gives the serial # range for applicable parts catalogs for each component group. Where different parts books apply for any given component, a change was made. Very useful little book
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 12:12pm
George:
Serial number is found on RH rear of main housing and on a plate on the dash.  If you have the serial number, we can tell you the year and a little bit about it.  Engine serial number is found near the starter on LH side.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 5:59pm
Google "Allis Chalmers Tractors and Crawlers" choose Terry Dean - Google Books Page 148 has info about the HD11 I was unable to print the pages if someone knows how, please tell me. Will someone comment on the torque converter drive vs the 6 speed My HD7G torque converter has remained a project I might get to someday while I use and repair my HD6G's. Do the direct drive HD11's have dry clutches and wet clutches? Can I tell by the serial number?
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 6:10pm
I believe the wet flywheel clutch went into effect with serial number 6427 or thereabouts, going by memory (also steering clutch levers moved to dash), wet steering clutches started at 10001, except for a "value model" HD11B.  This tractor is identified by it's naturally aspirated engine- all other HD11 models were fitted with turbo's at 10001 as well.
HD11EC was a torque converter model with manual transmission.  It was promoted as being "stall proof" but you still had to disengage clutch to shift, 3 forward, 3 reverse gears.  I have only ever seen one EC in our neck of the woods.  I took the engine from it and put it in a 1960 HD11S- made a really nice tractor.  (early HD11EC was rated at 110hp, as opposed to 99 in the HD11B/E)
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 12:14pm
17A D7 is on par with a HD16D/DC. Uncle had a 16DC on heavy native timber logging and was working alongside a turbocharged 17A belonging to a sub contractor. Both machines were new and both performed well. But the AC performed far better for pulling and winching work due to the torque converter drive. This was in the early 60s.
From what ive been told the 11EC performed very well in logging and ripping and pushing work. Its downfall was almost too much power from the 4.6 -1 torque converter combined with the slower 3 spd manuel box. It produced too much torque at the sprocket and they broke final drive gears and the ends off the live axles.
As with all machines, the man in the seat plays a big part in this. Only way to 'focus there train of thought' here is to make them help fix it when they break it
sounds like your granpa should have got a 11B/E if he wasn't conversant with torque converter drive. Both types of drive have advantages, depends on the work your doing. A HD11B @ 99hp would be most comparable to a D6B or 9U @ 93hp
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 7:55pm
Cooke Tractor came out and took a picture of my great grandpa right after he bought it to promote the HD11EC. My grandparents found a copy of the picture a few years ago.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 9:48pm
Very nice old photo.  Looks like '61 or '62- dry steering clutches, and the oil bath cleaner by the looks of it...
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 5:13am
Just saw an HD 30 run through a dynamite shed, on the original Hawaii Five-0, last night.  Prolly still running...
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 8:03pm
Craigslist in Springfield Mo has several HD11s on it. 2 with rippers...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic