This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Honda vs Kohler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Honda vs Kohler
    Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 6:57pm
Going to have to have a new engine for my grasshopper mower.Has a 25hp kohler but about a thousand hrs is all many people are getting out of these.Wanting to try a Honda but not for sure.Most of them doesn't have the snorkel type air cleaner element.Anyone had any experience with the 24hp honda?
Sponsored Links

David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 6:53am
Sorry I can't help, but I have a 718K I need to repower this winter and I would like to use a Honda. Keep us posted if you find any help on this repower. Dave.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 7:19am
Only problem I have with the twin Kohler Command engines is they use a lot of fuel as compared to a Honda or Kawasaki when doing same work. Depending on your usage that can mean a lot, or virtually nothing. Early on there was some valve sticking troubles with the larger Honda twins and the official dope from Honda was it came from inadequate cooling during part throttle operation. Fix was run wide open at all times when loaded to any degree. Kawasaki had some valve problems too early on. Kohlers will munch their plastic governor gear with drastic results.
 Personally I would install which ever brand  of those three I could get the best deal on and not look back. 
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 12:24pm
we sell briggs honda and kohler  i would shy away from kawasaki because of lack of support and parts availability  i would purchase the one that you can best match up your crankshaft dimensions and exhust systems also what ever brand that your local mower shop can best support what you purchase   
BStone View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 9:35pm
After talking with Small Engine Warehouse today it looks like I might stay with a kohler.Their man said that the hondas' were positive ground and had to be rewired to make the alt. work.Then there is the problem of having a drive shaft on one end of the crank and belts on the other end.Can be done but would have to have a stub mount to fit the honda engine as theres a difference in length.The honda g690 is $500 cheaper than the kohler and the kohler doesn't come with a muffler.If it was a garden tractor and your only using one end of the crank shaft it would be much simpler.
Ethan Souerdike View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ethan Souerdike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 9:52pm
I don't know much about engines, but it has been my understanding that the Kohler engines are really good.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 10:21pm
I replaced the Kohler with a Honda V engine , lot better unit and as far as electric I am running mine Neg ground and it works fine . 
 I had to make the adapter for flywheel side to connect to hydrostatic drive input shaft but made a aluminum adapter and used U joints to get right angle . works fine . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
BStone View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 5:56am
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

I replaced the Kohler with a Honda V engine , lot better unit and as far as electric I am running mine Neg ground and it works fine . 
 I had to make the adapter for flywheel side to connect to hydrostatic drive input shaft but made a aluminum adapter and used U joints to get right angle . works fine . 
Coke I was thinking I could handle getting the stub shaft made but was wondering if the honda would have enough torque running off of both ends of the crank shaft? I hadn't heard about honda using a positive ground before either? The guy I talked to wasn't promoting hondas' very much.My experience with them have been with 13hp engines and down on pressure washers,air compressors, and generators is that their quite,fuel efficient,powerful, and reliable.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 7:17am
I have an old "HT" series Honda rider (13HP) that I use around the property. I gotta' admit, fuel consumption is the least outta the other Briggs and Kohlers that I've had or have presently. The darn thing fires up all the time, pulls the finish mower, cart, and seems to have plenty of power. It also has a cooling system to it and a spin on oil filter. I keep the oil clean in it and it just keeps runnin' and runnin'. Now that I've mentioned how nice it is, it'll toss a rod....
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
farmtoybuilder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 8:07am
I've never seen a Honda with postive ground. Ours are negetive ground. And I'm sure Honda has a motor available with correct size crankshaft. Kawasaki is a good motor also!
5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 1:16pm
My Honda is running a electric clutch on main shaft and the stub shaft off flywheel runs the hydrostatic drive with another driveshaft . 
 I would say it handles load better than Kohler did in my New Holland - in fact i had a Tecumseh replant for about 6 years and it was better than Kohler .

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 8:14am
BTW, forgot to mention. My Honda is Neg. ground.
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 10:58am
I've NEVER heard or seen a positive ground small engine,can't believe anyone would do that  as sparks would fly high when jump starting them let alone blow up the Vregs of both units.If true, I'd like to see supporting documentation.

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 9:12pm
Johnny English would do something like that. If it was obviously going to be better negative ground, he`d make it positive ground!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 12:08pm
Perhaps that is why Lucas, aka, god of darkness, doesn't make small engine electrics, to the best of my knowledge.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 8:59am
Hudco,
I was looking at some zero turn mowers (Husquvarna for one) with the Kawasaki engine in them because I was told they were very durable. Are service parts tough to get for those engines? Just curious.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 10:15am
 most mower shops have to get your stuff on line  for kawi parts the kawasaki dealers do not carey any inventory i know it is hard to keep what you need or customers need also cost of parts are alot more than honda and kolher will almost garantee you that no one will stock the air filter that you need  we are going to install a kolher command 25 in a 616 because it is one we did not sell for a couple of years also in the mowers such as walkers they have been useing kolher commands with efi  our kolher rep was telling me that kolher is going to  go totaly fuel injected but the ones we service  the fuel injection systems have worked flawless year after year    also it seems like the kawasaki are real tempermental when they start getting hours on them the husq. mower end are a good quality machine and very service able 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 12:04pm
Good info to know. Thank you! We have quite a few Kohler Command 18 engines on our small equipment here at work. They're used to power our "Dig-it" brand baby Backhoes that we tow around on the back of our pickups and use for underground work. As long as we keep the oil clean in them and the fuel clean, they run and run and run! The EFI versions must be pretty neat!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic