This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B110-melted condenser

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B110-melted condenser
    Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 12:18am
What would cause this? Just to hot?-(was working her hard) or voltage regulator failing?
We were mowing along great and just died. Found top of condenser(where wire comes out) visibly damaged-looked burnt-plastic? material appeared to have been cooked/melted. Is this how they normally fail? or do I need to check some other things. I have a few machines with points/condenser but this is the only 1 that gives me trouble and has multiple times while the others just keep on running. I can't remember the last time I had to mess with points/condenser on WD or WD45 or even my JD L&G.
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
Sponsored Links

timflury View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timflury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 10:15pm
The starting/charging circuit is completely separate from the ignition circuit.

I've been told that condensers do have a "shelf life" and go bad over time.

There are three options.

One, get new points/condenser and carry on.

Two, look for a "Mega-Fire" and replace your points to a breakerless ignition provided your coil is still good.

Three, this one involves pulling the engine and shipping the flywheel to Briggs up here in Milwaukee and having them repolarize the flywheel. 398811 is the part number for a Magnetron upgrade kit. The kit includes a plug for the points plunger, a new key for the flywheel, and the upgraded armature assembly.

The three options I list are cheapest to most expensive.
When was the last time you thanked a veteran.
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 4:07am
So, to understand this correctly, the condenser and points only provide spark for ignition. Once the engine is running they are insignificant?? There is no way that something electrical is malfunctioning forcing too much power through the condenser thus frying it causing the engine to die. I had tried restarting it while still hot/warm and also the next day after it had set to cool off with no luck at all until I noticed the condenser and replaced it with a used one off a previous set of points I had kept.
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic