This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

your first paint job

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: your first paint job
    Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 7:24am
this winter i was hoping that i was going to be able to get at my wd45 to paint it.. but as things normally go there wasnt enough time.. since this is going to be my first major paint job im alittle worried how its going to turn out. one thing in my favour is that the 45 does have straight sheet-metal so it shouldnt be too hard.. my question is how did your first paint job turn out?????were  you happy with it or did pick out your flaws and evenutally do it over a few yrs later
thanks rob

just curious
if farming was easy everybody would be doing it
Sponsored Links

TexasAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 7:40am
I have found if I do a real good job preping the base metal my overall paint job comes out much better.

Edited by TexasAllis - 11 Mar 2010 at 7:40am
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 7:48am
Did my first one with rattle cans almost 10 years ago, and it still looks decent. My original hood decals did start delaminating, so I've replaced them. I quit noticing my ltttle runs & other boo boos after about a year! Dad is now our designated tractor painter & I'll never do another rattle can job! Just dive in & do it, there's nothing like learning by doing!! Good Luck. Kip
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
Darrell, Jr. (MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrell, Jr. (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 8:05am
even with runs, drips and other defects, that others will never notice and only you know about because you did them, there is nothing more satisfying then doing your own paint job.  I say go for it and if anyone points out defects just ask them to see their paint job.
snag View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 8:07am

I had some front fender, door and hood damage on my 03 silverdo, got a 3k quote.  Decided I could buy alot of paint supplies for that. It was base, clear.  I have some orange peel and a few runs in the clear but from 10 feet away you cant tell. I still notice them after a year but I saved 2500 bucks.

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 8:19am
I bought a tractor that I didn't intent to paint. But after getting it home I decided it was too rusty to not do something. So I tore it down, did an oven cleaner cleaning job and a rattle can paint job. It looks good from 50' or is that 100' but the rust is gone.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Brad-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 8:34am
I was lucky on my first painting job on a tractor...did it in a family friends professional paint booth and had him there to ask advice and teach me the basics.  Even with someone there kind of showing me the way, it was still tough and I was real nervous about spraying the color.  The key is finding that correct amount of paint, not too much to make runs and drips, but enough to cover the primer.  My word of advice is to just jump in and do the job.  If you don't know exactly where to start and what to do, just ask and there are plenty of people on this forum who have painted many tractors that will surely help you out.
1930 U

1938 A

1941 WF
ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 8:34am
I'm by no means a painter but was told by a painter many light coats are way better than 1 heavy coat.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 9:17am

My first paint job stunk, as did the second, and third, and on and on and on.  Now I don’t know about your part of the world but around here most body men look like dope heads and the ones I know perosnaly ARE dope heads. This bugged me, dopers can paint but I cant???  I kept plugging along with my farm fleet store paint and mineral spirits and getting results that look like they belong at the consignment auctions until at some point I got convinced to buy good paint. THEN after all those years I found out how dope heads can paint, the best products can be put down flat blind folded and the look great. By best I am talking about the old PPG Delstar and Dupont enamels that our EPA friends have mostly made go bye bye. Now because of cost I use the second tier urethane products like Nason, Omni, and Shop Line. They dont go down ike the good stuff but they are like magic compared to any $30 per gallon fleet store junk. Bottom line to my ramble is purachase good materials, or wait until you can afford them before you paint, its 90% of what it takes to get a good paint job and 100% of what it takes to get a lasting paint job assuming some kind of decent  prep work has been done.

Edited by Butch(OH) - 11 Mar 2010 at 9:17am
gary ny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary ny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 9:22am
My first was at age 16 on a C that myuncle gave me that had been parked in a hedgerow ,It was the first tractor that I ever drove at 7 so when I got it running and used spay cans on it and put the decals on it I was thrilled.It looked good but I had a sizable run on the radiator shell but that didn t bother I was so happy to have gotten it running and painted it that nothing bothered me.That was 117 tractors paint jobs ago and I can still remember how proud I was of it.The last time I saw the tractor it sat under a tree at a dealer that use to be in chittenano ny and they wanted more for it then I sold it for and it didn t run anymore it had dents in it and the paint was faided off it I remember feeling kinda sad when I say it but just could not  afford to buy it .My son has been looking for it, but I think its long gone just as the dealer is.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 9:35am
rob  Ive painted about 25 tractors, still far from a pro, my advice is the same as others spend lots of time cleaning and asking questions then dive right in Mark L
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 9:42am
I will be in the same boat this year with my first paint, hopefully my air compressor is up to the task. it is a 30 gallon tank with 3.4 CSI?? motor. If not then I will make do somehow....now too decide on the sprayer...
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 9:55am
My 1st one was a WD. Was apprehensive as I have never done any painting (except interior wall painting) and I had spent a lot of time and effort in rebuilding the engine, electrical, seals, and brakes (I believe in rehabbing tractors for work, not too be parade queens). A neighbor, who is a real good painter, spent a lot of time talking to me about the does and don'ts, finally convinced me that I should attempt to do it myself. Used enamel paint as I am on a limited budget and went to work prepping. Neighbor stopped by every now and then to check my work. Finally got it ready to shoot the paint and I was nervous, so neighbor stopped by and helped me set up the gun and talked me into the technicque of operating the spray gun. Turned out pretty good for a 1st timer. It gave me the confidence to prep and paint the numerous rehabs I have done since then; even tho I do not consider myself to be a good painter.

WD Before Paint

WD after Paint

omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 10:18am
My first was a 1951 Chevy 2 door.  I did not get the body work done right, the first, or second time, so, yes it got repainted twice.  Finally called it good, and got on with life.  I did use cheap paint, but, if I remember right, it was the body that was not straight that had me most upset. 
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 10:24am
NOW BUTCH ,I want you to tell us all here how you REALY FEEL. Do not hold back! Then open up that BOTTLE of PILLS (CHILL PILLS) and take whats left!!!! ROTFLMAO
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 10:26am
Butch ,If you would not use a RATTLE CAN maybe your's would have turned out !. LOL
ALinIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 10:56am
Farmer - Just remember, its your 1st paint job.  You may laugh, but my first paint job  was a '52 chev.  I didn't have a sprayer so I used a Paint roller.  It wasn't the best, but better than some I have seen.  The best advice is, do plenty of cleaning and prep.  Make sure your paint area is clean.  Do some practice on some old metal to get the sprayer adjusted, then go for it.  If you dont like the results, you can always redo.  Have fun!
AL 
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 5:17pm
Never did my own spraying but prepped several cars and had them done over the years.  I was pretty proud of my B after I finally dived in and did it.  It probably will need a redo in a year or so but I used implement paint so I can just rough it up and spray again.
Just my preference, but I am not a fan of shiney paint on the old stuff.   Decided if I was going to worry about nicks and scratches later it would ruin the fun.
The great paint jobs do look good an the newer tractors I admit but I have not got the bug for those yet.
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 5:55pm
This is the first one, 99% is all in the prep work, months of body work, and 2-3 nights of painting. I did this first one in a local friends autobody shop, there was no better learning experience than from him.

jjrosty View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrosty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 9:48am
my first paint job was a 69 IH scout in 1975.  the problems I encountered after many paint jobs since:
    1 Cheap Paint.  the cheaper the paint the poorer the paint job. I know that lots of folks use the Implement paint, I would only consider implement for its intended purpose, covering rust  before I stored a piece of equipment outside.  If I spend the time to sand blast, clean, fill, etc I will not use $19 a gallon paint on it. 
    2 Surface prep.  Sorry surface = sorry finish
    3  Inadequate equipment.  small under powered compressors & the Free or $19 spray guns reflect in paint quality.  (My dad wanted me to try a Pump up Hudson garden sprayer once)
    4  Painting  Environment.  I have painted outside on a driveway and get lots of dust & bugs.  The last paint job was in a heated shop inside a $99 picnic shelter with sides, I bought on E-bay.  I put a powered blower in the tent and blew fumes & overspray outside.  It worked great and the tent kept the dust down & the rest of the shop clean.

Oldoug View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 4:14pm

My first paint job was my Grandpa's old D-17 that he purchased new.  This was also my best paint job in my opinion.  It had a couple of runs and a few bugs and flies land on it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic