This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD11B hydraulic system questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD11B hydraulic system questions
    Posted: 14 Jun 2014 at 6:10pm
Some questions on the hydraulic system on my HD11B (not the series B, the original HD11B).

The rams for my blade are in need of major work. The blade drops to the ground after 5 minutes do to scratches/pitting on the rams. Also, needs all new seals/packing/etc. Lots of play in the linkage for the hydraulic lever as well

Option 1) Fix the cylinders and linkage and run the original system.

Here's where my mind starts thinking....and that's never good! I'd like to add rear hydraulic couplers for pulling disc/scraper/etc. But will I have enough hydraulic pressure for the size of rams on today's equipment? What pressure does the current system run at? I think I read somewhere that it is 1000-1200psi? What GPM or cu in per rev is the original pump?

Option 2) Change the pump (front-mount) out for a higher pressure one. Get the cylinders re-done (which I have to do anyway) to handle higher pressures. Mount a multi-valve bank to run everything. Basically all I would keep is the tank.

Should I look at adding a filter? Pump suction? Or return from the valve stack? The hydraulic oil is very black, likely due to dirt entering the blade cylinders.

Doesn't matter to me that it is original or not. This is not a parade tractor! It is a "work in the dirt" and "sit in the snow and bush for the winter" type of tractor on this farm!

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_D - 14 Jun 2014 at 6:12pm
Sponsored Links

Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 8:56pm
48 views in as many hours and no comments/ideas??

Come on guys!!!

Andrew

R.KYLE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.KYLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 9:28pm

I INSTALLED HYDRALICS ON BACK OF MY HD9 LAST WINTER. PURCHASED A UNIT  OFF BACK OF HD11 FROM GENERAL GEAR. I NOW HAVE THREE REMOTES. ONE I USE TO OPERATE THREE POINT HITCH I BUILT FOR TRACTOR. PURCHASED A FOUR FURROW SEMI MOUNT PLOUGH ; USING SECOND ONE TO OPERATE BACK OF PLOUGH. TRYING TO POST PICTURE BUT NOT MUCH LUCK.

R. KYLE
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 10:58pm
Yep, I was going to say the easiest way to get hydraulics at the back would be to install one of those rear hydraulic kits, like AC Mel has on his HD6.  Must be lots of them around in the western states.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 11:21pm
Andrew,If you don't have anything mounted on the rear (winch,rippers) then as Lazyts says a Beegee type unit to run off the power take off is the way to go. There very common in California in the farming tractors. I wouldn't try to adapt anything to the blade hydraulics if there is nothing mounted on the rear of the tractor. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.  
R.KYLE View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.KYLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 9:01pm
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 9:37pm
That's quite the setup on the back of there!! Would love to see more pics of the entire machine!

Got a couple of ideas now. Hmmmmmm..........

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_D - 17 Jun 2014 at 10:06pm
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 11:47pm
Andrew,here are pictures of a Begee unit on the back of an older HD11, should be similar to what you have. photo P6160021_zps9be7a937.jpg
It has a 2 spool valve for running implements or whatever photo P6160022_zps84ae2a19.jpg
It's a very standard type unit for HD11s,9,15,16,5,6s photo P6160023_zpsd5699088.jpg
 photo P6160024_zpsd391db64.jpg
This is a setup on a HD11B series that is about the same. It's not a Bege unit ,but the same thing. It has a 2 spool valve. Not sure of the PSI or volumes, but more than adequate to run most implements. photo P6160025_zps3ec00070.jpg
These units are on almost every farm tractor in Califonia photo P6160026_zpsd5e9c938.jpg
So if you have nothing on the back of the tractor then this would be the way to go photo P6160027_zpse86ccb1d.jpg
Since you ask earlier ,I would try to use all the original hydraulics for the blade. The cylinder rams could be replaced with chrome shafts (cut the yokes of and reweld them to new shafts and machine new threads for the piston ends, new cheveron packing, hone the cylinder tube,yes been there done all of that 40 yrs ago) photo P6160028_zps7d2eab8b.jpg
The early version without the filter is fine. is the hydraulic tank mounted it the front bumper with the control valve or is it mounted on the right side of the operators compartment? (that was only done the first year of production)  So clean oil and no leaks is all you need. The other thing  I could volunteer would be there is no such thing as slow hydraulics if you grew up running and mastering a CARCO or GARWOOD front cable control unit. Our father passed on the first hydraulic blade available on the HD11 (1955) because the GARWOOD 151 cable unit lifted 2'' higher. (My brother and I put a hydraulic hardnose on it in 1975) and that whole slow thing never seemed to be a problem. Can you post some pictures? And yes, now that KYLE can do pictures, we need to see more HD9 pictures
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 7:25am
Mine has the right hand side tank.

The oil is blacker than engine oil. I'm hoping it is just the dirt being pulled into the blade cylinders that is causing it and that rebuilding the blades will stop that. Also found some poor quality suction hose pieces joining the pipes together so will replace those while everything is apart.

Andrew
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 9:00pm
Did some more work on the dozer today in the shop.

Replaced the half rotten hoses on the suction side of the pump. Got the cylinders off for a rebuild.

Plugged the ports for the cyilnder hoses and put 5 gallons of fresh oil in the system. (Remember how black I said it was???) Ran for 5 minutes and dumped the oil. Refilled with another 5 gallon and ran for 5 minutes and dumped again. It is now much better looking!

There is a 3/8"NPT port just after the pump so I stuck a pressure gauge in it just to see what the pressure was. With the lever in neutral, all oil is returned to the tank and the pressure is 0psi. When the lever is moved, it shows 700-750psi.

So I'm definitely NOT tapping in to the blade hydraulics to run aux at the rear! I do have a self-contained hydraulic tank/pump/valve that I might put on the rear. It's not a dozer version as pictured above, but it would work. We'll see.....

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_D - 19 Jun 2014 at 9:01pm
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 7:15pm
Forgot to mention that I found something very fortunate on the dozer the other day!

Went to a lot of trouble to make a heavy 1-7/8" wrench with a 15ยบ angle on the end for adjusting the track adjusters. Also had read many horror stories of breaking these loose so I made a 9' cheater bar to fit said wrench while the wrench was cooling. I then took the wrench over to the dozer and the adjusters turned as though they had been put together yesterday!

I still took the adjusters apart and cleaned them up. Fresh grease, anti-seize and they are ready to go again!

Andrew

Dswall View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dswall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 4:47pm
Associated tractor in Stockton Ca is the place for BeGee pumps. Have one on my hd11b works great. Only downfall is they aren't a live Hyd system
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic