This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H3 Electrical System

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Yeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H3 Electrical System
    Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 7:55pm
I am the new owner of a 1961 H3 dozer and I would like to install a 12-volt electrical winch on it.  I would prefer to run it off the existing battery/generator charging system so I don't have to worry about keeping an auxilliary battery charged.  Since the winch is made to run off a modern 12V NEGATIVE GROUND system and my H3 has a POSITIVE GROUND system, I am wondering how hard it is to convert the H3 to a negative ground system.  Has anyone done this?  If it is too difficult to convert (and I'm pretty much a novice mechanic) I am wondering if I go the auxiliary battery route...do I need to worry about electrically isolating the winch mount from the frame of the dozer.  If so, I'm not sure if this is possible because the mounting plate for the winch would have to be bolted to the dozer frame.  Anyone having any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 8:36pm
Just switch out the genny to a GM 1 wire alternator. And switch grounding polarity.  Probably the cheapest route.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 9:08pm
Change around the battery cables on the battery, switch the 2 wires that are on the back of the ammeter, and spin your coil around 180 degrees so the small wire going to the distributor comes from the negative terminal.  Aside from that, put a 12V battery on it and also get a 12V generator for it (or you can get your 6V genny rewired for 12).
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2014 at 9:29pm
I almost forgot, you would need a 12 volt coil too.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Old Yeller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Yeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 6:02pm

Thanks for the responses. 

To DiyDave: thanks for the suggestion about converting to an alternator, but I would really like to keep the dozer as close to original as possible (or at least as easily returnable to original as possible) even while adding my “modern” accessories.  I’ll keep the alternator idea in mind in case my ground conversion doesn’t work out the way I want it to. 

To Dseries4: you make the ground conversion sound like something I could do and that is certainly good news.  I did some additional research today and there is frequent mention of having to re-polarize the generator.  Is that something that should be added to your description or do you think it unnecessary?  By the way, the H3 is already a 12V system so no need to replace the battery, generator, or coil.  I sure hope this is as uncomplicated as it is starting to seem.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Old Yeller Old Yeller wrote:

Thanks for the responses. 

To DiyDave: thanks for the suggestion about converting to an alternator, but I would really like to keep the dozer as close to original as possible (or at least as easily returnable to original as possible) even while adding my “modern” accessories.  I’ll keep the alternator idea in mind in case my ground conversion doesn’t work out the way I want it to. 

To Dseries4: you make the ground conversion sound like something I could do and that is certainly good news.  I did some additional research today and there is frequent mention of having to re-polarize the generator.  Is that something that should be added to your description or do you think it unnecessary?  By the way, the H3 is already a 12V system so no need to replace the battery, generator, or coil.  I sure hope this is as uncomplicated as it is starting to seem.

A GM alternator might be cheaper than other options.  You adapt the GM alt to the existing bracket, and use the BAT wire, from the regulator, just insulate and tuck the other 2 wires out of sight, and it can easily be converted back...
Bud(WI) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bud(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 8:12pm
Follow the wiring changes dseries4 suggested in his first sentence and re-polarize your generator and you have a 12 volt NEGATIVE ground rather than POSITIVE ground. It really is that easy.
Hope you have as much fun with your H# as I have with mine (and that yours isn't as worn out as mine...)
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2014 at 9:56pm
Guys, why buy an alternator when he already has a 12 volt genny? Wink The voltage regulator may be ground specific ???????Geek Other than that switch the amp meter wires, turn the coil around , switch the battery cables and polarize the genny.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 11 Jun 2014 at 9:59pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Yeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 7:18pm

Ok guys, I’m almost ready to take the plunge on this positive to negative ground conversion…but I would like some reassurance on one little detail if I can get it.  Apparently, when it comes to re-polarizing the generator, it makes a significant difference if the generator is an “A” circuit system (externally grounded field winding) or a “B” circuit system (internally grounded field winding).  My generator is an OEM Delco Remy Model 1100305 but you can’t tell by just looking whether it is wired “A” or “B” and I can’t  find any tech data that tells which it might be.  I did however find an after-market replacement for the original voltage regulator which says the replacement regulator is for an “A” circuit system.  Based on this little thread of info, I am prepared to assume (yeah, I know!! Cry ) that the generator is an “A” circuit.  If it is an “A” circuit the procedure for re-polarizing would be to connect a jumper wire to the positive battery post and briefly touch the other end to the armature (A) terminal on the generator (doing this because the voltage regulator terminals are a little hard to get to).  Can anybody confirm that this is the right (or wrong) way to go about the re-polarization?  In any event, thanks for all the useful comments to date.

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 6:45am
I'm getting in on this kinda late, but better late than never I always say. The change from Pos. to Neg. ground isn't such a big deal. As Myron & "Tuck" suggested, switching a couple wires around along with the Battery cables to Neg ground is all that needs to be done in circuitry prep. I would suggest tho, installing a new VR to mate with the 1100305 Gennie and polarize it to Neg. Grd. We have a wall full of VR's, so we could help you out there with that if interested.

Now for your winch installation, I suggest using a deep cycle Battery or 31 series Diesel Battery along with an inverter to aid in the charging of the aux. Battery. When the chassis Battery is satisfied and reserve is up, the inverter will automatically switch over to the aux Battery and let the Gennie charge the aux. Battery also. Your 305 Gennie is rated at about 35-40 amps max output (although it is capable to put out more if actually full fielded) so using an inverter will go easy on the Generator in the charging department. Using one Battery to power everything on board the Dozer would definitely put the ole' Gennie into overload and then "tilt" mode. Dave is correct as far as going the cheaper route with an "SI" series Delco Alternator, but I wouldn't go the one wire route. A three wire would be more efficient for the application, and using the three wire in conjunction with the inverter would keep both Batteries up much better than the low amp Gennie. But, you're looking to keep the OEM look of the Dozer, so the Gennie would work providing the winch is only used on occasions. There's an article I wrote on our website about one wires vs three wire Alternators that help explain what I mean when it comes to the charging department. If we can help you with any of your electrical needs, drop us an e-mail. Be happy to help you out..
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Yeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 4:29pm
I thought I would post the end to this "story" for anyone that may be interested in how it turned out.  I am happy to report that the conversion was easy to do and seems to be working fine.  I haven't installed the electric winch yet (which was the whole purpose for the conversion) but I am having to modify the winch mounting plate and that is taking a while.  I wrote up the procedure that I used for the conversion and here it is for anyone that may want to use it in the future:

Positive to Negative Ground H3 Bulldozer Conversion (For an “A” Circuit Charging System)

Make sure that your charging system is an “A” circuit system (generator field winding is externally grounded) versus a “B” circuit system (generator field winding is internally grounded).  This step can take a little work or research time because you can’t tell the difference just by looking at the generator, however it is important because the procedure for re-polarizing the generator is different for a “B” circuit system than for the “A” circuit system described below.

Make sure the key is in the “Off” position.

Disconnect the battery terminals and turn the battery around (but don’t reconnect the cables yet).  Check to make sure the cables reach to the new terminal locations and the lugs look like they will fit their new posts (since the post sizes may be slightly different).

Switch the leads on the back of the ammeter by simply swapping their connections.

Switch the leads on the coil by disconnecting them, rotating the coil 180 degrees and reconnecting them to the opposite pole.  Negative should now go to the distributor and positive should go to the ignition switch.

Connect the ground wire from the dozer frame to the negative post of the battery (i.e., make the battery “negative ground”).

Attach the cable leading from the starter solenoid to the positive terminal of the battery.

Take a length of insulated jumper wire and connect one end to the positive post of the battery. Briefly touch the other end of the wire to the armature (A) terminal on the generator a couple of times. This generally produces a spark. Remove the jumper wire from the positive post of the battery. This operation re-polarizes the generator.

The electrical system should now be a “negative ground” system and it is ok to start the engine and check the charging system for correct operation.

Thanks again to all who helped me figure this out and get it done.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic