This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6G IN ACTION

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6G IN ACTION
    Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 11:12am
Every so often we have to clean the sediment from our settling pond of the gravel wash plant. Over the years we've resized the pond where we can reach the center (almost from each side) with the excavator. photo P5200011_zps71db51b5.jpg
But to do a good job it's nice to get in the bottom with something. Anything with rubber tire is nothing but trouble. I checked up and down the AC line up and thought this HD6G needed the oil circulated. photo P5210013_zpsdf94eed1.jpg
So after batteries and fuel we dug in photo P5280030_zps7b4d48b9.jpg
We tried to take the bucket teeth off but they were uncooperative.  photo P5280029_zps89a54334.jpg
 photo P5280032_zps0d89de55.jpg
 photo P5280024_zps929f7ddd.jpg
It had actually dried out a lot before we got in there so it wasn't as wet as we thought photo P5280017_zpse6586fc3.jpg
 photo P5280026_zpsb34588f5.jpg
Probably the more fun pictures would have been my attempt with the 745 rubber tired loader when it was to wet. It was a one trip attempt and know one was around with a camera photo P5280021_zpsd30c601e.jpg
Not to change the subject but ,questions for 6EP guys. What serial numbers were the first 6EPs and did early ones not have turbos? Did production of those start in 1961? 62? I know the 7G started about that time
Sponsored Links

ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 12:10pm
It's so nice to see the old machines working--and actually having a purpose and reason for the work instead of just for spectator pleasure.

Mel, you should think about doing some videos of your machines working.
Pictures are great but videos make you feel like you're there. :)

Edited by ACcrazy - 01 Jun 2014 at 12:11pm
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 7:54pm
They started with the release of wet steer clutch tractors (14484 up) Mel.
To my understanding, none came turbocharged standard. You had to order them that way by the look of the Fiat Allis technical publications index. The only stock turbo HD6`s were the AG model the way it reads.
Good pics again Mel
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 1:06am
Nice looking HD-6G, Mel. Good pictures, Thanks. HD-6G's were good loaders!
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 10:08am
Mactractor, Thanks for the info. We've come across an early HD6EP serial number 14668 that we were doing some research on. The owners had emailed pictures so that info will be helpful
AusHD6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AusHD6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 10:37pm
Hey Mel

Thanks for the pic's of your 6G, looks like you're having too much fun! I thought from the pic's you posted of the floods a few month back that your drought had broken -- obviously not!!

I'm surprised Merv hasn't chimed in on your question about the turbo's on HD6EP's, he must have his backside firmly planted on the seat of a dozer somewhere in the wilds of NZ. Merv's got a real early 61 model EP s/n 14746.

I've got 4 HD6EP's, one of them a 73 model s/n 24725 is fitted with a 7000 series turbo motor, I was kind of hoping it was one of the rumoured EP's with a factory fitted turbo but the engine number doesn't match the engine No on the ID plate so obviously it's a transplant.

I think Mactractor's right that no EP's were made with 7000 turbo motors.

I hope you and Dave can add that EP to your collection
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 5:29am
Gidday Warren, that Fiat Allis book is actually titled Service Publications Index, not technical publications as I wrote in the previous post. On the HD6 page, it shows the turbos being optional on E models but not EP or B. Sure would be nice to hear a turbo howle over the throaty combustion bark the engines have
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 9:05am
I wish I could remember what craigslist ad it was but a while back there was a hd6 series b with a 6 way blade and the radiator guard looked square like the new stile like on the hd11 and 16 series b it had a turbo that had to be one of the last in production I think it was in mo
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 2:14am
Just found this
Looked through all the parts books. No turbo option was ever offered on the 6EP. It was standard on the 6AG; and as Mac said optional on the wet backend 6E; which I never knew.
Bit strange as why the EP didn't have it as a option, as it was standard on the HD7G, which was similar in the powertrain. perhaps AC decided the EP had enough power at 75 hp; over the 6B and E standard 69 hp. Also the 6AG was similar to the 6B ; but with the extra options of longer track frame and oil clutch; extras that every 6000 powered 6B had for export down here for NZ.
No doubt some dealers; or owners at later dates !; did custom modifications to EPs for customers specific requests. No doubt this is why AusHD6 managed to pick up his 'special custom' model.
will be extremely interesting to see how it compares to your standard EPs warren.
cheers merv
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
AusHD6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AusHD6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 4:29am
G'day Merv

Might be a while before I try out that HD6EP s/n 24725 with the turbo in anger, she needs a bit of TLC, the track gear is pretty tired and it picks up reverse when you give her a rev in neutral. I ran her for about 20 minutes when we unloaded her out of the container and she gets a fair old whistle up, apparently the 7000 motor in a 7G will do about 150 rpm more than the 6000 in a 6EP at stall, full power through the same converter so there should be some extra push in there somewhere.

I've got the EP s/n 21082 that I brought from Missouri 4 years ago in the workshop for a birthday -- she's in line for all new track gear except grouser plates and I'll shout the motor a new set of pistons and sleeves. Might check out the final drives while I've got the track frames off and make sure the sprocket shaft bearings are still preloaded. Once it's all done I'll fit the TR6 twin ram ripper that I brought off Edwin last year. This machine is nice to drive, someone moved both brake pedals to the left side which cuts down on a lot of foot shuffling.

On the subject of HD6AG tractors from what I've seen the early ones, pre 1961 with Buda motors were just a standard HD6B with 5 roller frames, soft nose and light weight rock guards. After 1961 when the EP's, 7G's and wet back E's came on line the HD6AG's got the 7000 turbo motor, wet clutch, 5F1R gearbox, soft nose, 5 roller frames and high seat as standard. Basically they were a wet back E with a soft nose, ac_sd sent me some pictures of a few of them at a wrecker in Fresno apparently they were quite popular in California in their day. I need to pull my finger out and learn how to post a picture!! Been saying that for a while!!

I see on a previous post mention was made of a HD6 series B. from 1969 thru to 1971 all the HD6's big brothers got the series B make over with new square styling, flywheel driven hydraulics and modulating clutches on the power shift models. All the HD6 got was the offset fuel cap!! Norm Swinford makes no mention of a HD6 series B in his book so I assume they never happened. I wonder if anyone out there knows if AC had a HD6 series B was in the pipeline or if in fact they actually built prototypes???

Cheers from down under

AusHD6
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 6:49am
might have been me who said, AC "needed" to bring out a series B HD6 !! with all the updates the bigger brothers got ! But No by then fiat was pushing things and the HD6 got evicted; with 25271 being the last one made; and the FA 8B was the new boy on the block. Not many sold in NZ and I think most HD6 and TD9 men converted to the komatsu D41-3 which did sell in big numbers in NZ
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 7:01am
got a AC trans test book and HD6EP t/converter stall speed is 1840 rpm + or - 10rpm . and HD7G 1925 rpm +/- 10
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 8:23pm
The series B Michale refered to would surely have been a 650 series (late model HD4) as he mentioned the six way blade and square nose cone.

Edited by Mactractor - 21 Jun 2014 at 8:35pm
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 9:20pm
For michale34, I saw that same HD-6 on ebay and it sure looked almost like a prototype that had been put in the field !! It had a hardnose that was flat, much like the later HD-5G loaders had ! It would have been interesting to have got up close to it, I've never seen an HD-6 with a 6-way blade before. I just bought a D4D 82J, 1974 year, think I prefer My HD-6's !!!
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 7:15pm
The hd6 series b i saw was a ad on craigslist in i think in springfield mo it had the fiat looking radiator guard square and the lights were mounted on the side instead of in the grill just like on the 11 and 16 it had a 6way blade and had the decals allis chalmers hd6 series b on the side
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2014 at 7:22pm
I think they only wanted 6000 for it and if i remember the undercarrage was 90%
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2014 at 12:33pm
Hope it went to someone who would appreciate it, it certainly appeared to be almost a one of a kind ! Also would have been interesting to know its serial number, Warren Lucas might have been interested.... Hah!!
AusHD6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AusHD6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 5:15pm
Hey Bob you're not wrong!!

If in fact it is a genuine prototype HD6 series B then wouldn't it be a "gem" to add to the collection.

My guess it's a case of wrong decals on a different model, I've tried through my limited computer skills to track down the original Craigslist advert to get hold of a picture, to no avail.

Cheers

AusHD6
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 8:55pm
Hi Warren, It definitely was an HD-6 and the hardnose was flat with a 6-way blade with the dozer arms inside the tracks. Usually I will pick the pictures off ebay or craigslist if it is interesting, I looked but couldn't find this one. Really too bad, I rally hope it got a good home and not the "scrapper' !!! Hi to Dudley, Matt and Jenny !!!
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 2:37am
Yeah; another guy here scratching his already bald head about this one too pity nobody could have put up a pic so the rest of us in internet allis world could have perused it
like Bob and Warren said hope shes got a good home
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 3:02am
A freind who worked closely with his AC agent at the time they introduced series B 11,16, & 21 and 650 series tractors said AC had planned to phase out HD6 completely and that was why there was no series B designed. A barage of protest from the dealers who were doing very well with HD6 sales persuaded them to continue producing them (until Fiat wealded the axe)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic