This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LP forklift help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LP forklift help
    Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 3:56pm
I am not sure of the forklift model. It is a 3000 lb lift solid wheel forklift.
The component that converts the liquid propane to gas is where the problem is. the solenoid clicks, I have liquid going in and no vapor coming out. It is cold in the building and there is what looks like a glow plug in the coolant manifold on top of the engine. There is no currant going to it.
Does that need currant to heat the coolant in order for the LP to vaporize?
I have not been able to get it running in the winter for a few years now but I kinda need it now.

Edited by dave63 - 09 Mar 2014 at 3:56pm
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
Sponsored Links

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 10:14pm
Your forklift should start without having to heat the coolant. Propane will vaporize down to around -40, however, that said once an engine starts on propane it is dependant on the coolant warming up in reasonable time or you will get 'freeze up' and it will stall. I've had a similar (to your) problem with my forklift and I don't know what make of system you have but in the propane regulator on mine there is a plunger that can get stuck if it's sat without running for some time and it has to come apart and be cleaned before it works well again. Some forklifts run like clockwork year after year and other ones act up, I have one I'm ready to convert back to gas because the propane system has hiccups, mostly good but enough frustration that trouble shooting has to come to an end. Some systems are very hard to get parts for any more.   
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 6:00am
Check around the propane system, A friend said that once he had a hole spider plug up a propane  setup, by daubing mud over an orifice, that needed airflow.
Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 9:46am
Amen on the spider, had that happen in a propane stove.

Also, there should be a vaccum switch on the carb or manifold that limits the propane until the engine is cranking.  Mine was corroded and wouldn't start till I cleaned the connection.  If the switch is bad, it wont start ever.
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 8:10pm
if you are getting liquid fuel into the vaporizer, all the vac and oil pressure switches are working fine. the vaporizer may be ok too. they don't push fuel into the engine, the engine sucks it in. if it is a impco modle j, jb, or cobra, they operate on 1.5 psi so you wont feel fuel coming out. the beam systems run on 3 or 4 psi. will if start on either or carb cleaner? with a little more info on what you have or some pics I may be more helpfull
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
sweckl View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweckl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 11:40am
Hi Dave63,

There could be a couple of issues going on. These may be the most likely culprits:

1. The fuel filter is gummed up with debris. Fuel filters should be replaced every 2,000 hours, at least.
2. The regulator is gummed up. Ethyl mercaptan oil (the stinky stuff added to LP gas for detectability) can "crack out" in the regulator - along with several other fuel system components. When this happens, it can destroy the diaphragm or otherwise prevent it from accumulating the required fuel pressure. The solution is to drain the regulator to force that oil out.

Beware that either of these items can be dangerous, as LP is extremely cold and under pressure. Working on either component improperly can result in frost bite, among other dangers. If you're unfamiliar with forklift fuel systems, it's best to leave these repairs to the professionals.

If you want more information on propane fuel system troubleshooting, check out this guide that I found online: https://www.conger.com/forklift-propane-fuel-system-troubleshooting/

Good luck!  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic