This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats a good flow bench cost ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats a good flow bench cost ?
    Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 6:39am
Just curious what a good flow bench cost and how much would porting and polishing an AC 301+426 diesel helps
Sponsored Links

O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 7:44am
A really good flow bench is $8000 - $10,000 brand new I would guess. Yes you can buy a smaller, used one which would be less. I did see one a while back where you plug your shop vac into it. Very simple and inexpensive. My guess is it wasn't very accurate.

Good cylinder head port work makes anything run better. More air allow more fuel which = more power. That's been the same since the advent of the internal combustion engine.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 8:51am
I bought a nice used Superflow SF600 bench, 600 cfm capacity.  Has an extra manometer which is handy.  I think the bench was $5800 when I bought it.

More $7 corn and I could have bought a newer digital bench, but they run $8000-$14000 depending on size and options.....I've yet to make much money with my bench (mostly for my own use) so less is better.  There's various used and other brand ones and sometimes $2000-$4000 buys them.

But then there's a valve opener, pitot tubes (used for checking velocity), bore adapters, etc.

I make bore adapters for different heads that I'm working on, I'll bore a hole in 2 pieces of plate and put the bolt pattern in one for the head bolts of the engine and in the other I put a 4 bolt pattern for the flowbench table.  I space them apart and weld some uprights in between.  Then I make a sleeve of bore diameter to connect the two, I'll make various size sleeves for some of the engines so I can test how different bores effect things.  Usually I use PVC pipe or various adapters for the sleeves so they are cheap and I can notch by a valve or some other modification to try and see what has an advantage and what doesn't

It's important to have various adapters to connect to the head, an exhaust tube, a radiused inlet to the intake port.  I make all kinds of adapters for different carbuerator or manifold testing to flow individual parts.

Flowing a part is easy and cheap, setting up for parts is what takes the time.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 9:24am
Marty,

You recently ported a 301 diesel head for another member on the forum who was impressed with the change in performance. Do you recall what flow numbers you ended up with and which size valves?? I just use someone who knows how to do that kind of works numbers for comparisons sake. I have ground a few of these, but only ever flow tested one years ago. The numbers were so depressing after all of the work (in comparison to the competitors heads)that I vowed not to flow test an OEM head again.

Doug, this member may chime in and tell the difference in a before and after 301 diesel head and what a nice port and polish will do for a turbo diesel engine. If I understood him correctly he used the same fuel system and turbo. The only change was Marty's work and he was very happy with the results.
Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 9:40pm
I was very pleased with the results! I do believe we went .100" over stock dia valves. Ground down 426 valves. Only reason for that was, believe it or not, was we actually has better flow numbers with the in between valves then 426. As soon as we put the 426 valves in on the bench, with Marty doing some mild and quick porting on a test head, the flow numbers would drop roughly 5-10cfm. At the time those numbers were only 120cfm on intake at .400" valve travel, and I think exhaust was 115cfm at .400" travel. Anything over that for lift and the flow would again decrease.

The one thing we were curious on that day is what the numbers would look like on intake side blowing the air through, rather then sucking it through. With a naturally aspirated engine the intake air is pulled through, where with a turbo its blown through, but maybe it doesn't make a difference.   

That was all the flow testing we did that day and I do not believe he ran the final product on the bench again. But I believe he was hoping for 160-170cfm. Which doendt sound like a lot, but it made a huge difference over stock that was around 110cfm.

In 2012 I was running a .390 roosa, and a 3LM 466 charger. It didn't like it, chirped really bad, my guess because it had intake air it didn't have room for and was fighting itself. Put that flowed head on with same setup last july and it only chirped a tiny bit and only a couple times, ended up taking 2nd place out of 17 tractors in Marty's home town! I was very pleased. I'm sure we'll do more fine tuning on the head soon and see what we will get for numbers.

Everything sound correct Marty? I don't remember 100% what the numbers were that day.

Edited by Carl(NWWI) - 03 Feb 2014 at 9:43pm
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 2:10am
Typically on a high swirl port there is a limet on valve lift, the 301 has a high swirl. The 5.9 cummins is another example. Once you pass the point the air gets turbulant arounf the valve and things go bad. Unless you make some serious changes the port gets "angry" or noisy.. Good quality airflow is worth more than poor quality airflow. When testing a part it gives a sound, you can tell if things are "happy" or not, I'm sorry for the vague explination, but it's one of those deals where you can tell if things are going to work or not by the sound.

Anyways, the 301 head can take a larger valve but the real choke point is in the valve bowl, the port is small and has a high swirl factor. Throw a big valve in it, the flat face of the head and you have a bad combination of a small port, a big curtain area and a poor discharge coefficient. You get a mix in air velocity and pressure.    With a smaller valve and less work the numbers aren't good from these heads, bult numbers aren't everything, things are more uniform.

I took a junk head and treid stock valves in one cylinder, larger valves in another, some in between valves in one cylinder and some other trial work with the "in between" valves in a cylinder. This gave me a decent direction as to what worked and what didn't and what more to do on the finished head.

To be honest on Carls head I put a valve in smack dab in the middle for size, I took 426 valves and cut them down, did some bowl hogging and a decent valve job. No real rocket science, no big impressive numbers. But hopefully good quality "happy" airflow through the operating range.....there's some things that are best left unknown, the flow numbers on a 301 are one of those things. You'll just be disappointed if you know.

I don't rember the numbers, I just know ther aren't impressive. I know of other engines with un-impressive parts, but they seam to wind up better off on average than some of these guys with the latest "trick of the week".

Edited by wi50 - 04 Feb 2014 at 2:20am
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 9:08am
Sounds familiar. With the full sized 1.84 inch 426 intake valve it would flow about the same peak CFM number, but would do it at around .300 lift. Any more lift and it would not flow any more and maybe not as much. And yes, the flow of air became noisy.In comparison a smaller valve would continue to flow more at higher lifts up to .450 or .500 inches. But again the peak CFM was almost the same as the larger valve which indicates the port will only flow so much.

We do the same thing with using 426 valves and turning the heads down. Seems to be a nice combination.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 07 Feb 2014 at 8:10am
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 3:51pm
The flowbench is pulling a constant depression once set when testing the air speed for a given valve lift is consistent in a sense, at least each area stays consistent during that given test.

But as we all know the airspeed varies when the engine is running and the valve going through it's cycle... So where does a guy draw the line and make the compromise?. I'd give up some flow numbers through the range of valve motion for better quality airflow.

The "area under the curve" will be more in the end, even if the tests give better numbers but things just don't sound right it's not going to work as well as it would to make the compromise and run a little smaller valve.

Finally a little intelligent conversation on the subject, you guys gotta check out YT mag.  I put up some pictures of my Moline head project and guess who's making a fuss.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 6:57pm
Thanks for all the info! Anyone have a price on what a port + polish would cost on a 301 diesel?

Edited by DougG - 05 Feb 2014 at 5:18am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 8:04pm
I did look at the thread on YT. Much nicer on here without that stuff. The Moline heads beautiful though. I typed this at faster than the speed of sound through a venturi.
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 8:58am
anybody know the size of a 426 exhaust valve compared to a 301 intake valve? I thought ab putting my intake valves in my exhaust and putting a 426 exhaust valve in my intake on a 301
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 9:27am
Using intake valves for an exhaust valve won't work in the sense of life expectancy. I knew an old AC dealer years ago that had the cylinder head off of a 220 tractor three times for burned exhaust valves and in the end, the problem was they were using 301 intake valves by mistake for 426 exhaust valves, which was the cause of failure after failure after failure.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 9:29am
426 exhaust valve is 1.651". 301 intake is 1.620". Not much difference. If I remember right you can go as big as 1.710 on the intake valve for a 301 without having to notch the sleeves.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 05 Feb 2014 at 9:31am
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 11:15am
thanks for the info. when I had my 262 apart the intake and exhaust valve were very close to the same size don't remember exact sizes can u tell me valve sizes for 426 301 and 262? intake and exhaust
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 6:41pm
My book says this. it is usually accurate. The seat angles you will have to find yourself.

426 Intake - 1.84"
    Exhaust - 1.65"

301D Intake - 1.62"
     Exhaust - 1.44"

262G - Intake - 1.50"
       Exhaust - 1.375"

262Dt - Intake - 1.546"
        Exhaust - 1.376"      

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 07 Feb 2014 at 8:10am
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 6:45pm
Paul graves web site tractor sport has a flow bench message board. Most the turbo guys like to test close to the psi they run. Most small benches don't have that capability. What shows big increases in cfm at 28 inches of water can be detrimental to cfm readings at 105 inches of water. Bossmans on another pulling forum covering this identical subject.
Ihateillinoisnazis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 7:15am
Hey Pankey. Your big airflow post got deleted on YT... Think there's a reason for that? Go spam some other board. Maybe you can preach at Paul graves website since you have such a hard on for him. Or did you already get booted from there? Go home troll you're drunk.

Where's the Gleason?
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Ihateillinoisnazis Ihateillinoisnazis wrote:

Hey Pankey. Your big airflow post got deleted on YT... Think there's a reason for that? Go spam some other board. Maybe you can preach at Paul graves website since you have such a hard on for him. Or did you already get booted from there? Go home troll you're drunk.

Where's the Gleason?

I'd bet that like me you are indeed thankful that you live a heck of a long way from the nuke plant those clowns ( or THAT CLOWN, singular)  take care of?? If for no other reason than who watches the place while they spend the day playing the fool on the internet?????

Pank, clip and print so you can save face  on theGleason

Edited by Butch(OH) - 06 Feb 2014 at 7:52am
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 7:57am
Prank was asking me why I don't go hang out on that website.....last I knew 2009 was the last it was up and running, though I could be wrong.I'm no computer genius, so maybe it's possible to do that, and I'm not Marty Mcfly and can't go back in time. But the there is a possiability for the wheels on my pulling tractor to hit 88mph, I'm sure you'd see some serious $*!T happen for a few seconds. I do a lot of living in those few seconds, a lot more than the average person. It's sort of like a time warp driving the thing.

He's got about 2 posts left before the mods send him packing, hopefully less than that here. Anyways, enough on that, it's nice around here and we'll keep it that way.

Edited by wi50 - 06 Feb 2014 at 7:58am
Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 4:32pm
Enjoying Marty's dissertation on "bigger is not always better".  I concur that the "quality" of airflow is primary, "quantity" is secondary.  If you can get both - that's just doubly better.

Its been a long time since I messed with flowing anything - and then it was flathead engines (talk about disappointment in numbers!). But, the smallish home-shop outfit that runs on a shop vac is the Audie FlowQuick.  That's what I have.

They are as accurate as the person using it and how stable the depression is.

There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 8:20pm
Audie stuff is good Alan Lockheed did a great job designing it. I hate to debunk a thought . It has always been about the quantity of air measured in cfm . It's always been about velocity a smaller csa will have a higher velocity to obtain the same cfm reading a port with a larger csa has . That's why all racers say give me the smallest csa with the highest cfm reading.
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 9:56am
Question for wi50 or anybody else with the knowledge. The 426 and 301 both have notches on the intakes to induce swirl, technically its not fully machined like the exhaust. My question is do you fully grind the rest of that material out? It looks to me otherwise it would shroud the valve.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 10:45am
Are you refering to the cut in the deck of the cylinder head thwt the valve is recessed into? I'm a little unclear with the question. I've selt with the 426 and 301 heads, but I just don't rember exactly what you are refering to.

Anyways, the valve is recessed in the head in that shallow pocket. When the valve lifts off the seat the air gets to hit that pocket, the valve is shrouded by that pocket and the air has to hit: a nice 90* sharp angle and work it's way past. The best thing to do is to cut that "ring" or pocket with a radiused cutter and eliminate the sharp corner. This way the air can discharge from the valve and roll over the radius.

Sometomes the valve edges are close to bore diameter and you can't cut that radius all the way around the valve with a cutter piloted off the guide. This leaves you with grinding it in by hand, or grinding a small raduis in the sleeve to blend the head and bore togather.
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 10:58am
Yup, that's what I was referring to wi50, THANX. Removing intake and grinding away.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 11:33am
Think about how a flame travels around an object, lite the torch or a candle and put a metal rod, ball or some object in that flame. The flame will curl around the object. Air going past your valve is no different. How about that exhaust valve? Things are moveing the oppisite way, generally exhausrs have a radiused edge.

The face that you see of your valve when it's installed in the head is flat, it's sharp or has little radius around the edges. By cutting a radius around that edge it will in general help things....you can do this as simple as clamping the valve stem in a drill press and taking a flap wheel to that edge.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic