This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for some information

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AChillingSight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for some information
    Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 6:11pm
I'm doing some research for my employer, we have a travelift, which has an Allis-Chalmers engine. The plate is pretty worn but I was able to get a serial #: 454895, the displacement is 226ci and 4" bore. Once the sun comes out next week, I may get more numbers but for the moment, that's the best I can get off the plate. The block its-self has the following numbers: "AM 4660-3 DF15P".

Mainly what I'm looking for is HP (I believe it is 35-40) and torque. Any advice on where to look for any identifying marks to confirm an engine model? Is there a particular number/letter I should look for on the plate? Or does someone by chance know the HP and torque based off the given information?

If you need any further information, let me know, next week I will see what answers I can get.

Thanks,
Dustin
Sponsored Links

MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 6:40pm
The 226ci was used in WD45's and D17's as well as power units. The hp ranges from 40-50. Behind the carb there might be an engine serial # hand stamped on the block.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 4 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
AChillingSight View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AChillingSight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 12:21pm
Thanks for the information. I'll take a look for that stamp.
Tony.Or View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony.Or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 12:26pm
AM 4660  Is  D-17  casting  number.  Tony
AChillingSight View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AChillingSight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 3:41pm
Thanks Tony. I did finally make it back out there and found the following number stamped into the motor: 17-55974-Z, which helps to imply your D-17. One thing I still can't find anywhere is the engine torque rating. The engine has 63hp at 1650 rpms, which if the equations I've found online are to be believed (T= (HP*5252)/rpm), is 200.53. Having never worked with this engine outside of my job, does that number sound accurate?

Thanks,
Dustin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic