This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need some opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowcropmafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need some opinions
    Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 6:35pm
Tomorrow ive decided im going to buy a tractor with a loader. Im tired of shoveling snow and fixing my john deere lawn mower that i thought would push snow. So as of now i have a couple of options i need some input on. First is a wd 45 for 1000 that the guy said was leaking antifreeze and oil around the head gasket. other than that he said it ran fine when he parked it a year ago. THe other is a wd i dont know much about other than it hasnt ran in over 2 years. They both come with trip bucket loaders, and the 45 also has a 2 bottom plow and a blade for the loader. What do you guys think? All opinions are helpful.
Thanks,
The Mafia
Sponsored Links

BiG210 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BiG210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 6:41pm
Check for water in oil of 45 and find out if the engine is free on the wd mite be more work then you plan on for both of them.
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 7:01pm
I would go for the 45 as it has a blade for the loader already.  If it has chains for the back, you will be suprised at how much snow they will push.  I use my d15 with a loader to clean out my driveway.  Most of the time, I just push it into a pile, but the loader helps to stack it up.  The rear tires are loaded and I have a set of chains on as well.  That thing can really push some snow!  I too would check to see if there's any antifreeze in the oil, and if the oil is milky.  I would bring a charged battery with you and see if she turns over good.  If it does, and the oil isnt milky, it should be an easy fix and getting it running.  I would say if it looks like you can get it running pretty easily and it's in good shape with good tires/rims and sheetmetal, I would think with the loader and the plow etc, it would be an ok buy.  Not a super deal, but you might be able to work him down. 
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 8:14pm
For the 45,I'd take a chance on torqueing the head bolts.That could dry things up.My 45 gasket was leaking oil pretty good after about 20yrs since rebuild.Took the torque wrench to it and it needed some more squeeze.Reset the valves and the leak is just a small  little seep now.
roughstock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roughstock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 8:26pm
For $1000, you may be able to find a wd or wd45 with a loader and without these issues. You might have to drive a little farther to pick it up. I guess it depends on your mechanical skills as to how much work your willing to do. It seems to me that most tractors "ran great when I parked it."

Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic