This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tree Pushin'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tree Pushin'
    Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 5:17pm
Found this photo on the 'net-
Sponsored Links

irwin View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 5:19pm
That looks pretty handy- sure would be nice to work on fence rows!
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 11:43pm
What do you mean the front idler is shot?? I just changed it 100 yards back!

Andrew

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 12:55pm
Some of the boys down under have those pushers on their machines . Look like a good idea IF someone does a lot of land clearing . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 8:59pm
That gives a new meaning to the name "push beam".  Never seen one like that, but should keep the tall ones from falling back into the hood and roof.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 9:06pm
Called leverage - higher up you push from root ball, less digging one has to do .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 9:17pm
Found these old family photos of another method to push bigger trees.  Sorry it's not an Allis Chalmers...
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 9:19pm
That's my dad sitting on the tree stump in the previous post.
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 8:52am
Grandpa had a small dozer in the 1950's. Dad said that was how they had to push lots of the trees when they were clearing - Push up a dirt pile to get leverage.

Couple of years ago (before I got the HD11), we were cleaning up some small bush spots with an ag 4WD (JD9300 w/ 14' blade). Employee had pushed the day before and left one big tree in the middle - said the tractor wouldn't push it over. I went over and dug some dirt from the south side of the tree, pushed it around to the north side and climbed up the new ramp to gain leverage. Pushed the tree over no problem. He just stood there with a stunned look on his face!!!!

Andrew

HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 1:53pm
us fellas at the bottom of the world, were abit different or backwards depending on point of view 80% of all the smaller crawlers sold here all had logging winchs on them, and everyone would knaw a trench around the rootball and then back the tractor up to the tree climb up on the canopy and put the winch rope up on the tree as high as you could get; drive out to the end of the rope and winch the tree over. yes abit dangerous had to have a full drum of rope and a good estimate of the tree and its hight. And yes a few people miscalculated and paid the price and the ultimate price also. But has worked for me and have pulled a few big Monterey pines over with just a D4.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 2:18pm
With the 6 way blade on the FD5, it's easy to dig on 3 sides of root ball - then apply pressure from side undisturbed to push them over . With the HD5G the digging part was easy also and with bucket about 1/2 raised pressure could be applied higher up on trunk. 
 What use to get me was property owners helping out with a chain saw and cutting down trees at ground level - backhoe time then. 
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

What use to get me was property owners helping out with a chain saw and cutting down trees at ground level - backhoe time then. 

Local guy asked about cutting some trees for firewood and we told him to leave 2-3' of stump. He was surprised! Figured we'd like it better if he cut them off at ground level.......um, no thanks!

Andrew
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

There is a method to their madness...get a quote for clearing, then cut the trees for whatever best suits, whether it be saw logs or firewood. That way you don't mess up a bunch of saw blades with the dirty logs.
   Church up the street had 15 acres of mostly red oak, not much good as far as anything but it makes a dang nice grill wood. Told members they could cut all they wanted. I cut a lot, offered to cut more for anyone else that wanted to haul it home. Surprisingly, most people wanted me to cut it, load it, haul it to them and stack it neatly. Brought all I cut to my house and friends, didn't cut a single tree for others, and my "cut for free" offer stayed up till the lot was cleared. Never understood why the contractors clearing it didn't mind the stumps, but I guess since they cleared it with a dozer and an excavator (to dig a pond) it didn't matter in the sand.
   David from jax
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic