This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Siamese bulldozer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchboy Johan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Siamese bulldozer
    Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 8:11am
Allis-Chalmers made for the building of the Garrison dam a special dozer named the "Siamese" It was made from two HD-19's together and it as the type of HD38.

But does this unique dozer still exist? Or can tell someone more about this unique machine? Did this thing work wel?

Edited by Dutchboy Johan - 04 Nov 2013 at 8:12am
---> Better by Design <---

Johan Straver, Almkerk/ Netherlands

Allis-Chalmers 190XT Ser.III #26829XTD
Sponsored Links

Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 8:24am
You can see it working on Youtube- look up "A Big Job" Allis Chalmers promotional film.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 12:09am
Anyone know if these were actually made by Buster Peterson ??
Supposedly he made one or 2 HD19 units before doing the same with 3 sets of 2U D8s. ???
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 7:36pm
That's a great video
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Lazyts Lazyts wrote:

You can see it working on Youtube- look up "A Big Job" Allis Chalmers promotional film.

[TUBE]Dx8wa7JLHbs[/TUBE]

The side-by-side AC is around 2:45, 4:58.

Andrew

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 9:06pm
I've watched that video before its great a lot of allischalmers equipment. Notice that all the equipment in it was bought brand new for that one project. they worked it 24 hours a day till the project wad compleated. When I was stationed at Minot we worked TDY down at riverdale. it was a military recreation center. Sat right on the edege of lake Sakawea. the fishing was pretty good.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 9:28am
I'd assumed the HD19s were a Sweeney Brothers modification, but I could be wrong.  Might know who would know though, Merv.  I'd hate to be the operator that sat behind the elevator- would be eating a lot of dust.  My great uncle had an elevating grader they pulled behind a 3T D7.  Built miles of county road around here.  Some of the roads were built with elevators mounted to motor graders as well.  (Works ok in flat ground, without too many stones)
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 11:16am
Said it was built by one of the construction companies - I noticed it only had 2 tracks - outside units on each machine - they must have coupled the axles inside the unit together to keep power equal to both machines and tracks. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Bolivar Boy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolivar Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 1:42pm
Watching this clip was better than taking a shot of Geritol..........
macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 3:07pm
What a cool video. Thanks for posting on our site.
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

Said it was built by one of the construction companies - I noticed it only had 2 tracks - outside units on each machine - they must have coupled the axles inside the unit together to keep power equal to both machines and tracks. 

With an older steering clutch style machine, wouldn't one side still be driving if the other wasn't there? Basically 100% of the power would go through the bevel gear and into the 1 final drive.

Actually, that way a guy could steer with power to both tracks just by adjusting the throttles.

Or am I over-thinking this??

Andrew

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 9:44pm
The idea I have is if you coupled the axles of the machines together - your HP to each track would be double - As steering clutches were lever controlled it would be hooking the lever from left (main operator ) to machine on right . 
 As the unit has a torque converter the power output would equal out by the linked inside axles . Otherwise it seems to get the machine to synchronize output would be a real problem. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 7:51pm
Seemed to work well in the video, the Prime Contractor was Morrison-Knutson, if memory serves Me, with Sweeney Bros being the Dealership. This Mod was done by the Contractor, undercarriage wear must have been something else. I haven't spoken with Larry Sweeney in some years, His Family ran an awesome Dealership in Fargo, Bismark and Minot during My Youth. Loved going to see the lineup of Crawler. I remember especially an HD-5 next to an HD-20 in Their Showroom at one time in the early "50's. My Father used Them as Our Dealer.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 9:33am
My cousins used to do business in Fargo with Sweeney Brothers.  Sadly, that dealership has closed its doors and is history, just like Allis Chalmers.  I believe Larry Sweeney passed away a couple of years ago, not sure if another branch is still open.
I think if you could pick a decade of success for Allis Chalmers, it would have been the 50s, as a friend says, "Allis was king of construction in the 50s".
You sure wouldn't want to go near a mud hole with that Siamese Dozer!
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 9:35am
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 4:07pm
http://bangshift.com/blog/bulldozers-and-steel-balls-bangshift-greatness-circa-1950.html

Another interesting article about Siamese bulldozers and HD19s.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 6:49pm
Yep, they had big balls made of steel, and USED them, too!
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 12:09am
Yep that's one of the Siamese D8s that buster Petersen built; and another one with a 'funnel dozer'; was built for the 'king' ranch in texas.
Buster Petersen was also Bob LeTourneaus brother in law.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 6:24am
I have a VCR tape of the Garrison Dam project as it relates to AC's involvment. I bought it several years ago at the Orange Sectacular. After watching it it made me want to visit the area but so far havn't made it out there.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 10:28am
That is interesting information Merv- there's nobody who built more cool machines than old R.G.- and had more original ideas- his brain was unhampered by convention.  Too bad he never embraced hydraulics.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 12:23am
Hit the nail on the head there trev; if he had embraced hydraulics he would have sold a lot more machinery. He had the last laugh about electric drive though, must be smiling at cats new D7E
Also everyone who has ever used a towed scoop owes him a beer
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 4:13am
I still have a line of Popuilar Mechanics from around the 1950's which have some on these siamesed dozers.  Before the big cleanout (if the current drought lets me) I'll aim to at least reference and maybe scan.

Some in there might be of interest to KOO to.

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 9:47am
Dont forget the EUCLID C-12 ---twin C-6's ---had twin 6-71 Detroits in them,---steered with throttles! LOL!!
I used to have a LET.-Westinghouse model C-pull,---It was a 1953 and had a single 6-71 Detroit and manual 5 speed trans. in it!---Big machine in its day!  thanks; ac fleet
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic