This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D19 gas engine mod suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D19 gas engine mod suggestions
    Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 10:10pm
Well pulling season is over and I'm trying to be ahead of the gun for next year. Tractor is right now a bone stock d19 that I pull in paced 5 mph farm stock classes from 7000-8500. Most of the places I pull have the turbo and non turbo classes separated.
Would like to do some things to give her a bit more snot as it seems like I got her balanced right and she usually runs out of snort and I have to drop in low range before I spin out.   I have 18.4 x 38 firestone radials on now that are quite worn so I might splurge and get a new or newer used set with more bite before next year so I should have even more need for more power.
Right now engine runs like a top, head was just redone replacing all the exhaust valves, all new guides and valve job. Petronix ignition and that's about it.   I do have a zenith carb from the same size engine off of a gleaner combine I could try.   Looking for some suggestions as to what I could do to make the engine stronger without going absolutely crazy and completely rebuilding it.   Tractor is very competitive as is right now, would just love to get her on the top of the podium next year. Here's a video from two years ago as I didn't video much this year. I think this pull got me third.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=g-high-u&v=U7xBN6Kuuuw

Edited by ChuckLuedtkeSEWI - 27 Oct 2013 at 10:13pm
1955 WD45 diesel 203322 was my dad's tractor, 1966 D15 23530, 1961 HD3 Crawler 1918, 1966 D17 IV 83495, 1937 WC 41255, 1962 D19 6221
Sponsored Links

BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 6:22am
I wouldn't go with new tires....the best are old, hard and road worn. They act like top cuts but aren't. A little slip and sig is good. As far as the 262, some manifold and head porting and polishing would help, degree the cam and maybe get one ground for it. WI50 has oosted a lot on upgrades for the 226. ...same basic idea
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 6:24am
Chuck...Try that Zenith carb. off the Gleaner combine. It's got way more bark than that M/S carb. without a doubt. I've got a Gleaner combine engine in a D19 here with the Zenith carb. on it and it runs a lot harder...thanks, Don ol' buddy! Of course, it uses even more gas, but hey...depends on what you want to do, right? LOL!  Rick
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 8:03am
i dont know i think that pull went pretty good if you ask me
hi my names dan, I am a young guy. i have a problem, i prefer my tractors orange and my clutches mechanical, thanks for letting me share
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 8:14pm
I do want to try that Rick, just never got that far.    It does pull good, just to want to make it to the top once in awhile.
1955 WD45 diesel 203322 was my dad's tractor, 1966 D15 23530, 1961 HD3 Crawler 1918, 1966 D17 IV 83495, 1937 WC 41255, 1962 D19 6221
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 10:29pm
D19s were turbo'd (diesel that is)..... what are the rules - a turbo will double the hp.....
otherwise you will spend a bunch of $ for almost no hp/torque gain....
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 8:50am
Even if u stay naturally asperated suggestion is to have the cylinder head bench flowed . Bigger valves and port work will allow air increasement . This way bringing in some fuel u can gain a little power . I always look At an engine and see how to fix the asthma the release the constipation . U can always add fuel! What's the cam duration like ? Lift ? As agreed tho kinda tuff engine to build power. Supposed to be a feller around. Rapid city SD has d19 with big automotive pistons and tri power carbs off a Pontiac on custom intake manifold . I never seen it tho.
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
studer automotive View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studer automotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 9:28pm
did you have the head milled any? some port work, little increase in compression and that z carb that's gotta be worth 10-15 h.p.
a-c 185-d y/r cab turbo soon
99 f-250 7.3 4x4
86 mustang5.0 owned since 8/93              
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 6:42am
When I had the head gone through I had the head milled a bit and I think he cut the valve seats different as well but I can't remember exactly what he did.   I did not have ant porting work done on the head at all as I was in a hurry to get it back as I had already missed one pull.

Most of the pulls are farm stock nonturbo class. I try to stay in those as I know the few pulls where they lump turbo and nonturbo together I get run over by the turbo tractors.   
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 6:56am
The way to really raise compression, is to use diesel pistons and mill .200" or maybe .250" off of the tops of them(don't remember exactly). They are flat top pistons. I did this for a buddy 25 years ago. Use the diesel head gasket also as it is thicker. You WILL have to use 110 octane fuel with this set-up.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 7:24am
I've seen some of these engines apart, but am not real familular with them. A friend of mine is building a Cockshutt engine and there's only slight differences that i'm aware of.

I'm guessing we'll be doing a bunch of head work this winter and expermenting on the flowbench with it. I don't know about the D19 gas manifold, but the gas manifold from the Cockshutt is terable. I think with some modification the diesel manifold will be much better. As far as port and valve work, I'm not sure yet, I really need to look at the heads closer and see if seating the valves at a different height and cutting some angles would be any improvement or if a guy should throw things away and start with other parts.

I'm guessing as choked as the engine is and as small of a cylinder as you have to feed, some slight head work, manifold modification and a carb swap will be about all you want to try. Diesel pistons should be abundant, I'll grab a camcan from one sometime sometime and map out the profile, I'm guessing there's some room for improvement.

I'd not go wild with the compression ratio, it an engine that is going to have to lay down and lug a long time.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 8:50am
anyone serious about building one should talk to Mack . He has done about everything that can be done to one including building a aluminum cylinder head for one had it for sale but may have sold it .
pohlman249 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pohlman249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 10:18pm
Have you opened up the manifolds and head at all? If the carb off the combine has larger butterfly on it and more stream line inside im sure that would help. The 262 manifold isn't very big and is a huge restriction. Guessing you are running stock rpms? Im working on my own D19 gas and hope to have it going this coming season running in 3k rpm classes in WI and MN some are dyno some are pace. Your tractor runs nice but those pace classes always leave you wanting more power.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic