This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hd 4 brake drum removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennypeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hd 4 brake drum removal
    Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 7:32pm
I need some info on removal of my hd4 brake drum. I got everything ready to take out and removed the stop clip permitting the axle to slide back. My problem is the axle only slides back 2/3 of the way and then stops. I have tried everything I can think of to get the axle out of the way to remove the brake drum. Any suggestions ?
Sponsored Links

Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 10:28pm
MIGHT NEED A LITTLE MORE INFO AS TO WHY YOU ARE REMOVING THE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY. ARE CLUTCHES SLIPPING ? ANYTHING IN PARTICULAR HAPPEN ? SOUNDS LIKE WITH WHAT YOU DESCRIBED, A PROBLEM IN THE REAR END DIFFERENTIAL. MAY HAVE TO REMOVE THE END COVER OF REAR END TO SEE IF PROBLEM IS THERE.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 7:43am
If your HD4 is like my HD6 the clutch pack has to slide inside the drum to obtain clearence to remove the clutch/brake assembly. On my HD6 the clutch pack will not slide because of rust. I posted "steering clutches again" showing the difficulty I am having getting the steering clutches out. Yesterday I made (2) small hydraulic cylinders to try to push the clutches into the drum to get the clearence to remove the assembly. One trick I employ is once I get clearence on one side I bend a piece of welding rod and put it in the gap to keep the gap open. About 3/16 gap is needed on each side to remove the assembly. Make shure the throughout bearing is fully retracted. My portapower has been the best tool working on my crawlers. I'm planning to post a picture of my hydraulic cylinders if they work.
dennypeck View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennypeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 9:42am
I replaced the clutch pack on the right side last year and it works fine. The crawler will not turn left with the steering and brake. The engine draws down and stalls. I am thinking the clutches are stuck together. I have the pack ready to come out but the axle shaft will just not push into rear enough for the clearance to get the pack out. I took the rear plate off and the everything looks fine.As I said the axle will move in about 2 inches and then stops. I am thinking there may be an obstruction in the axle slots. No idea how to get it out if that is the problem. I DID remove the pin that holds the axle in the clutch pack. I have done a few of these but never emcountered this problem before. Any help appreciated. Would be easier to talk over phone if you have any ideas.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 9:35pm
Once the clip is sprung to allow the axle to slide it should just move back into the hollow shaft. You might try a wire to allow lifting the shaft up some as it might be hitting a obstruction in ring gear carrier . 
 My HD4 has a single disc clutch and a Auburn type pressure plate rather than multi disc clutch. I remember fighting some with that shaft but it was like sliding it fast and it jumped back - then when going to reinstall putting a fishing wire onto the shaft to draw it back into position was the other trick . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic