This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grader, what model?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grader, what model?
    Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 10:55pm
My boss just bought an old Allis grader. All he knows it's an Allis and it's a gas engine. Got these casting #s off the block.

3F 3E
AM3853-6

Don't know if this will help.
I'm just guessing, but I think it's a 45. It has the pipe frame out front. The original sheet metal is missing. Someone built a cab and different hood for it. Didn't get any manuals for it. Would appreciate any help we can get.
Sponsored Links

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 11:24pm
AFIK 45's were only diesel (according to the parts book and service manual).

Might be a D?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 4:49am
Likely a D.  Look on the frame, where you step up, should have a tag, about 4" X 4", with the model and #.  Barring that, a picture would help, specially the back half, showing the motor.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 5:23am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Likely a D.  Look on the frame, where you step up, should have a tag, about 4" X 4", with the model and #.  Barring that, a picture would help, specially the back half, showing the motor.

Herein lies the problem. Someone built a cab and engine cover. No original sheet metal left. I will see if I can find the tag. Also, all I have for intternet is my phone, so posting pictures is kinda tough.
If it is a D, would that mean it is the same engine as in a WD tractor? There is no plate on the side of the block, so that is why I was guessing at a 45 engine.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 5:24am
Is it possible to find manuals for it?
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 5:40am
I might have confused here - the grader I was referring to is the AC 45 - which isn't connected to the WD 45's.  It uses a diesel engine similar to a HD 11, and is what Allis reckoned a Cat 12 should have looked like.
Tony.Or View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony.Or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 9:32am
am3853 -#   is  block casing  #  for  wd45  block.  found below mag, raised letters.  Tony
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 11:40am
It appears as if it is a D grader with the WD45 gas engine. The earliest one's had the WD engine and the later one's used the D17 gas engine. The serial number tag should be secured to the frame on the right side where you step up onto the grader. The serial number will allow you to find out the year of manufacture
Jack of all trades, master of none
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by DonBC DonBC wrote:

It appears as if it is a D grader with the WD45 gas engine. The earliest one's had the WD engine and the later one's used the D17 gas engine. The serial number tag should be secured to the frame on the right side where you step up onto the grader. The serial number will allow you to find out the year of manufacture

That's kinda what I was thinkin.

Thanks for the response. Would anyone have some downloadable manuals that we could peruse.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 12:15am
The suppliers on this site have manuals. I have the parts book for serial numbers 5425 and up until they changed the frame style. I got a copy of the service manual and operators manual from Tony's Tractors.
Jack of all trades, master of none
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 12:29am
by chance, is the cab and cover wood with plexiglass?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 5:20am
All steel.   Hood is hinged at back to flip open. Will be out to the shop tonight. will try to remember to get a couple pics. I'm not able to post pics, but I could send them to someone if they wanted to post them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic