This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ex housings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob C IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ex housings
    Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 8:26am
Couple of us amateur pullers was talking about turbo ex. Housing sizes.. I have a 241, 231 and 193 in the shop but the next guy has a 90. 80. And a 70 . Can sum body clear up this question. ( 30 pack later we still had no clue)
Sponsored Links

Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 9:48am
Maybe a 40 pack would help!
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Bob C IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob C IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 10:01am
After the 30 we didn't care about turbos either!!!!!!
ACFarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 10:04am
The .90, 1.0 style configuration is what we usually use for exhaust housing sizes.
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment
Bob C IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob C IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 12:29pm
Yes understand..... But what do the numbers represent...
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 12:45pm
Size of the housing, a larger housing flows more air, drives the wheel a little less.  If i'm over speeding the top chargers I need larger housings, if they won't turn on and spool quick enough, smaller housings.  Each housing will be for a certain wheel family like Holsets use a E F G trim wheel. 

So a G trim wheel in a 41 housing is driven harder than in a 47 housing.  Different manufacturers have different numbering systems
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
rowcropmafia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowcropmafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 12:54pm
Coming to rossville ttomorrow night Bob?
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 7:08pm
Bob,

I think what you are asking is how do different numbering systems between different turbo manufactures compare right? Like is a .90 A/R like Garrett or Borg Warner comparable to a .241,.231,.193. like Switzer used. Or what's tighter, a .231 or a .90 A/R. I have a comparison chart for Holset's (who use a number of centimeters) that compares with the area over radius ration we are most accustomed to. I will find it and post it later this evening - that is, if that is the info you are looking for.

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 08 Aug 2013 at 7:08pm
rowcropmafia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowcropmafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 7:24pm
I think thats what he's looking for. I have been trying to figure this out myself
Larry W. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 7:30pm
Mike, if you find that chart I would also appreciate if you would post it.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Bob C IL Bob C IL wrote:

Couple of us amateur pullers was talking about turbo ex. Housing sizes.. I have a 241, 231 and 193 in the shop but the next guy has a 90. 80. And a 70 . Can sum body clear up this question. ( 30 pack later we still had no clue)

Jeez Bob! A 30 pack by 8:30 in the morning? lol! These guys are right. They are completely different numbering systems from manufacturers. I don't know if the 241/231 3LM housings just refer to a part #, or if they represent a measurement.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 9:21pm
OK I got this off of the internet and we all know we can't believe everything we read from the internet. But is seems pretty close. Now this is Holset vs. any brand that uses the A/R sizing method. can't really help you too much Bob on the Switzer numbering system.

Turbine housing CM – A/R

8 cm2 = 0.57 A/R
9 cm2 = 0.65 A/R
10 cm2 = 0.73 A/R
11 cm2 = 0.81 A/R
12 cm2 = 0.89 A/R
14 cm2 = 0.97 A/R
15 cm2 = 1.05 A/R
16 cm2 = 1.13 A/R
17 cm2 = 1.29 A/R
19 cm2 = 1.37 A/R

Now, something to consider that I don't fully understand would be if a housings I.D's are machined larger to accept a bigger wheel than said housing was designed to accept. The A/R will not change, but in my mind it would drive the turbo harder..... wouldn't it?

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 08 Aug 2013 at 9:24pm
Bob C IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob C IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 10:10am
So there is no same numbers on housings , each manufacture has there own.. Well that's what we couldn't figure out. That cleared that one up... Thanks a bunch guys. Mike I printed your chart any info like that is gold to a puller.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic