This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

whats the safe amount to mill a head

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjbower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: whats the safe amount to mill a head
    Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 6:56am
on a b with m&w sleeves and pistons.need to keep in mind this is a hand crank tractor.thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 9:26am
.100 inch. Remember the  original compression was about 5.7 to 1... You will only get to about 6.5 to 1 if your lucky.  Wont ever be a "high compression " motor.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by mjbower mjbower wrote:

on a b with m&w sleeves and pistons.need to keep in mind this is a hand crank tractor.thanks for any input.

Up to .200 can be taken off without a problem. That is the most that I have removed on several heads.
For some reason this picture will not show.

http://images16.fotki.com/v301/photos/6/34676/7550174/Picture2027-vi.jpg?1375576752

I determined how much I could remove when building my pulling engines by sawing a head and boring into the firing chamber. This took all the opinions and myths out of what can or can not be done.

Edited by Dick L - 03 Aug 2013 at 7:13pm
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 8:47pm
Remember to take a stone on a die grinder and chamfer ( round )   The crap out of the edge of the combustion chamber. You don't want any sharp edges.
volfan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 9:55pm
I do not know if the diferences in head stud loctation or any other issues would.make it not interchange but the 149 head has no combustion chamber and is flat.it would up the compression if it will inerchange.
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 10:11pm
That's very true Pank. I do have a flat head for sale is anyone is interested.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 7:22am
Originally posted by volfan volfan wrote:

I do not know if the diferences in head stud loctation or any other issues would.make it not interchange but the 149 head has no combustion chamber and is flat.it would up the compression if it will inerchange.

They will not interchange but if they would then you need to figure out how do you would keep the valves from contacting the pistons .
SF 49ers Fan View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SF 49ers Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 8:57am
LEE??? OK, LOL that's cute. 
XXXOOO'sHeart

Edited by SF 49ers Fan - 04 Aug 2013 at 11:12am
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 8:59am
Dick, its been a year or so since i did the "figuring", but it thought about .150 inch and the valves "might" touch the piston tops, so i stopped at .100 ... Did you cut into the pistons for valve clearance, or is the clearance really over .200 ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
SF 49ers Fan View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SF 49ers Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 9:14am
Here you go Dick. I didn't have anything to do.
XXXOOO'sHeart

Edited by SF 49ers Fan - 04 Aug 2013 at 9:15am
mjbower View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjbower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 6:43pm
thanks everybody i think ill stick with .100 off from it to play it safe.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Dick, its been a year or so since i did the "figuring", but it thought about .150 inch and the valves "might" touch the piston tops, so i stopped at .100 ... Did you cut into the pistons for valve clearance, or is the clearance really over .200 ?

I took .200 off with no problems.
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 6:55am
Mike, if you want to take it to the limit, let me know and you can borrow my sonic thickness tester. Hope to see you in Mulliken tomorrow. Ken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic