This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Salvage pile is growing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salvage pile is growing
    Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 6:29pm
The old machine may have a few other small secrets for me, today when I rolled the cowl I could finally see to the steering pump, not new but newer style, not been on long. Did find the cause for the engine tear down, oil in the radiator, still has sludgy goo in the lower tank.

Is pretty well coming down by the numbers.

This is the 'arrangement they had for steering off the brake pedals:

Should I manage to get the cowl pivot bolts to come out, should only be a week or so to have it stripped to a finals case.

Edited by DMiller - 25 Jul 2013 at 6:31pm
Sponsored Links

Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 10:02am
Looks like a lot of work! I'd like to have some sort of allis dozer someday.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 2:53pm
Old Allis equipment can be pretty hard on the wallet, I bought this unit to get enough parts to keep mine moving, had originally intended to swap my engine into this one but did not realize how much modification had been done to this one before I got to it. Hard parts as rails are becoming non-existent, have to mod the old crawlers to change to cat rails quite often as heard here, engine parts are still somewhat prevalent but like my trans seals are really scarce so we have to make do or modify to make work.

When you find one you consider to buy write all the info on it you can dig up to here, lots of friends with lots of ideas and repair processes.
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 1:56pm
did this machine only have one top roller ? all hd7g i have seen have 2 top rollers unless its a b model just wondering
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 3:57pm
Yes it only had one, AFTER the last owner went weird and cut away the second mount. Mount and all are gone just gas axe stubble left, don't know why. Looks like the owner swapped sides with the fronts after removing the rears. Rails are still 37 link with lots of adjustment left.
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 4:23pm
I guess the dealer only had 2 rollers in stock or the pocket book ran out  LOL  i just thought that was strange only one top roller  I also see the homemade spring holders looks like made from rebar .
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 5:57pm
You should see the remaining 'cobbled' crap they installed. The left truck rear support arm is welded, the right side is cracked, don't know how they did that, the bolt for the shovel to truck mount is gone on right a loose pin in it's place, the controls looked as if a bird crapped the welds on them, really awful for the quality in the tree cage and the fact it has new rail chains under it.
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 1:56pm
this reminds me of a 6g that guy bought off my dad years ago the man stiil has it and he tried to sell it to me it looks like crap he homade a exhaust manifold for it that looks like a 4 year old kid did the welds on it ,both truck frames are shot his son said he drove it off a lowboy on side several times its a wonder that guy didnt kill himself  and just the repairs look like crap the engine smoked so bad it would be check the diesel and fill it up with oil.
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 1:57pm
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 2:00pm
Oh the beast  yet he pulled the radaitor in sted of removing the 2 bolts from the guard he torched it  and put a td8 dresser nose radiator and so called hood on it.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 3:20pm
I managed to save the pivot bolts but I had to gas axe split the nuts to keep them, Minnpar did have a few replacements, I just have to configure the locks or some facsimile locks for them. I am going to use the entire guard assembly on my old machine once I swap transmissions.
Had the monster out doing some actual grade work today, trans does slip but it will still push and move dirt just slow.
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 4:42pm
  The welds probably looked better before they rusted over....LOL
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 10:14am
Single grouser track and loader frame - hope the track has not been run much or wear is going to be excessive . It puts a lot of strain on machines when configured like that .
 If the chain is good and going to be put onto a loader - change out the pads . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 1:33pm
Pads on these chains are pretty well used up save for the added single grouser bar, corners are broken off some are curling, there are some custom made from some other manufacturer, they are to be trashed. I am just saving the rails and the shoe bolts as I can off them. Truck frames do show the abuse.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic