This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

first and last pull

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: first and last pull
    Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 12:50pm
Pulled the 45 today, she is stock tractor with 14.9-28s. Took the loader off, built wheelie bars, stripped down to get to 5k. Plenty of hp. Placed dead last out of 8. All competitors on 15.5-38s, half of them running cut tires. A rich mans sport for sure, had to try thou, it was fun. Just cant pull a "stock" around my area anymore. My tires are really road worn and sharp thought they might compete but not the case.
I'll put her loader on and per her back to work. I'll watch from the grandstands and cheer on the built orange power. :) JM

Sponsored Links

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 6:47pm
Your giving up way to early. If you didn't run out of horse power you just needed a better tractor set up. Somewhere between tire pressure, weight balance and the drawbar.

The ten years I pulled I had my own pulling track and tested any changes I would make right here at home.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 8:55pm
Sounds like reality has set in a little hard. Falacy that stock tractors can compete with success is only words on this site from ones that never pull .JM participated in a pull and now knows reality from falacy .

Edited by mlpankey - 20 Jul 2013 at 8:57pm
allismanamp View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allismanamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 9:42pm
Ya I noticed the same thing although I have been to very very strict pulls where stock is stock no suit case weights no weight brackets only fluid and factory wheel weights
And must have a complete hand clutch,PTO matching # block, rearend
They don't allow cut tires and maximum tire size depends on the factory size for the model your pulling the tech guy knows anything and everything won't let straight pipes go in stock class ether or custom side tins or steering wheels.STOCK IS STOCK there lots of disgruntled pullers at the end of the day 10% over stock and 3.5 mph speed limit period
It is fun to watch the classes though! Usually its within inches of one another not feet or miles like some pulls
And if someone does stump the tar out of everyone else they can be challenged by the other persons and the old scope goes down the cylinder to see what's stock and what's not!!!!!
~AMP~
JM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 9:42pm
Dick you might be right, I just got the distances, the 4 spots above me only got me by 15 ft. 3 I know were running cut tires in a class they didn't belong so I wont count them. The other 3 got about 30-40 ft on me. I might go back and make adjustments see how it goes. I know getting a first is next to impossible but if I could get competitive with dialing it in that would be ok. Especially being the smallest machine on the track.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allismanamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 9:47pm
But if its a smaller pull people putting it on don't care if its stock pull that 2 dollar trophy don't compete with the 20 dollar hook fee and at the end of the day its about paying all the bills and having fun trying to do the best you can with what you brought I always wrote down how far I went then tried beating it the next time sometimes I would throw the pull and put all the weight on the back just to put on a good show for the fans to watch it do a wheel stand half way down the track with proper wheelie bars and hitch to take all the stress not saying anyone should do what I did when I was young and dumb
~AMP~
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 9:55pm
Ya, Oh Well. Full pull bone stock. They chose me to pull first to set the sled and it didn't count. Still took home second place trophy after they reset the sled only a coupla inches behind first which was a Farmall M that was not stock. Back in 2002 Riley pull.

JM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 10:16pm
I was 150 lb light, had 220 on the front bolster. She didn't even try to lift. Next time I will put everything on the back and see what happens. Might lower pressure to, I was running 12 psi might try 9-10. I will keep track of my set ups, might take a while, we only pull 3-4 times a year.
JM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 10:17pm
I wish they let us 28 inch wheelers run 16.9s.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by JM JM wrote:

Dick you might be right, I just got the distances, the 4 spots above me only got me by 15 ft. 3 I know were running cut tires in a class they didn't belong so I wont count them. The other 3 got about 30-40 ft on me. I might go back and make adjustments see how it goes. I know getting a first is next to impossible but if I could get competitive with dialing it in that would be ok. Especially being the smallest machine on the track.

At 5000 pounds I run 7 to 8 pounds of air in the tires. I checked my tractor drawbar so I would get about 2 inches of lift on a hard pull at home. Tracks are different from one to another so some times you get more and sometimes it will not lift. When others were pulling 20 inch high drawbars I only pulled 18 inches unless the track was sandy. My Allis C I pulled at 12 to 13 inches when others were at 18 inches. The only video I have of any of my pulls the drawbar was at 13 inches.
Having the tractor balanced pulling on the same length of chain that will be on the sled is important.
Burgie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 5:35am
You need 38`s to be competive,then you need the weight up front.
"Burgie"
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 6:00am
You cant quit that easy! Pulling stock can be fun, balance is the big factor here, your loader brackets and all that stuff need to be considered, 28 inch tires can work good, just need to get hooked up right
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 6:07am
Around here you can not pull 38's in division one or two. If you can't lift the front you sure do not need more weight up front.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allismanamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 6:27am
I used to bet lots of farmall! Tractors with my WC in the 3500 and 4500 class simply because I could put the right weight were it needed to be I have brand new 14.9 24 Firestone field and roads on my WC and it has the e engine in it dynos of the PTO at 46 HP so it don't have as much power as some of these hot tractors but when set up right she's one hard tractor to beat!!!!! Have a book shelf full of trophy to prove it!
The best part is when you get the guys with rigs that have more money in there engine then you have in your hole rig . And they spin out were you lug down and keep right on going! Especially the guys with taller tires on a super hard tracks have seen that happen a lot
And another bonus is I got to keep my nice fenders on the back of the un styled WC looks really mean
~AMP~
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 8:00am
You may want to look around your area for other pulls, here in Central Michigan, there are probably 20 clubs within a 2 hour drive, they range from barnyard deadweight, well regulated transfer pulls, to no-holds barred, run what ya brung and hope ya brung enough. Dead weight is a great place for stock Allis tractors, all the HP in the world won't make a difference on a stone boat, and a good running AC will hold it's own all day long. MPH transfer classes are generally pretty Allis friendly too, the speed limit tends to equalize things quite a bit.
JM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 9:17am
We run natpa div 2 rules at our club. There were no tractor inspections at the pull, pretty laid back. That is how the 3 cut tire got in normal classes when they have a cut tire class as well. 3 mph speed, I never hit the horn so going faster might help to, at least 2/3 or them hit the horn before 100 ft. Maybe a d17 spring?
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 12:19pm
I kind of like the run what you brimg and hope you brought enough.brad davis had been winning with his wd. We showed up told brad and all officials we were voing to pull 3rd gear that night.brad came in se ond we kept running fast and came in second in heavier classes against a white turbo diesel. Yeah its tough to compete a naturally aspirated against a turbo but we laughed congratulated everyone and moved on. Seams like to many when they loose want rules enforced or changed instead of putting in the wrench time to get better jmho
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 12:34pm
You only need to enforce one rule. (The dead driver can't win) Then just shoot the guy that pulls farther than you and declare yourself the winner.

If rules are not enforced you actually have no rules. I went to pulls where the officials had no backbone. It never made me mad or up set. I just would decide that I was not going to those pulls. Plenty of good pulls to go to all summer long without advancing poor run pulls.
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 12:56pm
 No to the 17 spring.   You need  traction and balance.   Every tractor I've seen that wins alot is running in its sweet spot , yours might be 4500#  @ 3.5 in 2nd gear, with an 18" drawbar. , once you dial in your traction and balance.   Don't get caught up with rpm, just 
 optimize what you have. The more hooks you make you will get better.  No one pulling stock is at high idle when it counts, they're lugging  !
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by JM JM wrote:

We run natpa div 2 rules at our club. There were no tractor inspections at the pull, pretty laid back. That is how the 3 cut tire got in normal classes when they have a cut tire class as well. 3 mph speed, I never hit the horn so going faster might help to, at least 2/3 or them hit the horn before 100 ft. Maybe a d17 spring?
the faster you move the sled initially accross the middle the easier it is to keep it moving the sled has kinetic energy.ever see a tractor die and the sled hit the back if tractor.it also says they have throttle if not extra hp to play with.

Edited by mlpankey - 21 Jul 2013 at 2:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic