This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD11

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 1:33pm
OK, first up is "4044210 BEARING, ball, front". The bearing that came out has the following info:

"New Departure"
"Z3304"

ID measured to 0.790" which is a hair over 20mm. Uh oh.....

OD measured to 2.049" which is a hair over 52mm. More uh oh....

Thickness measured to 0.590" which is 15mm. Hmmm....

This is looking more and more like a metric bearing. What are the chances of this on a 55 year old machine??

Andrew

On Edit: OK, looks like a 6304 bearing. I'm going to guess that the original bearings were open-frame since the ones in the fan hub and idler were open-frame. Also, the pump uses a cork sealing washer instead of an o-ring or seal.

Edited by Andrew_D - 25 Aug 2013 at 2:14pm
Sponsored Links

Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 1:43pm
Next is "4044212 BEARING, ball, rear". The bearing that came out has the following info:

"N D"
"_204" The first digit looks to have a loop at the bottom, so it could be 3, 5, 6 or 8.

ID measured to 0.790" which is a hair over 20mm.

OD measured to 1.853" which is a hair over 47mm.

Thickness measured to 0.550" which is 14mm.

Again, looks like it just might be a metric bearing.

Andrew

On Edit: Looks like a 6204 bearing. Also, open frame. Or should this one have a seal on the impeller side?? Just in case the water pump seal goes, it would (help) keep water out of the bearing. Although, I guess the grease should be doing that!

Edited by Andrew_D - 25 Aug 2013 at 2:32pm
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 1:53pm
Finally, the seal: "4507084 FLINGER, water" and "4507091 SEAL ASSEMBLY"

No markings of any kind on either piece, so I'll have to go off of measurements.

I found a seal that seems to match the dimensions. It's from www.nbseal.com. It's their # TPSB3B-16.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_D - 25 Aug 2013 at 3:50pm
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 3:39pm
Go to www.minnpar.com- type in your part number preceded by a 7- Fiat Allis part numbers were changed to an 8 digit number starting with 7, so you need to add a 7 or 70 to old part numbers to "update" them.  
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Lazyts Lazyts wrote:

Go to www.minnpar.com- type in your part number preceded by a 7- Fiat Allis part numbers were changed to an 8 digit number starting with 7, so you need to add a 7 or 70 to old part numbers to "update" them.  

Thanks Trevor. Now that I see that, I seem to remember reading that in the past...

Andrew

Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 4:31pm

Looks like minnpar has the bearings, but not the seal. Website says to call. Guess I'll have to do that tomorrow.

The bearings are crossing to 6304 and 6204 open-cage bearings, so I should be able to source them locally.

Andrew

Steve allis dozer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 5:37pm
Andrew , if you are loading the machine onto a trailer up ramps at the back it's better to drive up rather than reverse up them also be sure to have the truck on level ground if possible,(if your not happy with how the trailer is sitting get the truck driver to move it rather than drive on a trailer that's not level) its good to have someone looking from a safe distance in front of the trailer to guide you on making sure both tracks are even as the machine goes up the ramps, if you find the machine is not going up the ramps straight its better to slowly reverse off and have another go rather than try and turn as you go up as to avoid touching the steering levers as you go up the ramps and over the balance point. make sure no one is standing to the side of the trailer when your loading ,If its wet and muddy I will wait until it s dry to load a machine as they will slide off very easily and them old machines don't have ROPS canopy's.
hope this helps regards steve
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 1:05pm
Well, I was able to find the bearings locally and they should be here this afternoon.

The water pump seal is proving more troublesome. Minnpar doesn't have any, but their supplier does. However, with a less-than-$50-order surcharge, shipping, etc the seal has gone from $10 on the web site, to almost $30. And that's still USD. Convert to Canadian, add in GST, duty, etc....

I'm still checking with a couple of local place, but no one has returned my inquiries after 2 hours, so it doesn't look good....

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_D - 26 Aug 2013 at 4:00pm
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 8:31pm
Well, after checking with 4 other places it looks like I'll have to order it from MinnPar. Any other good-to-have-on-hand items? I'd rather spend the extra $40 on something I might need than $4 on a small-order surcharge!

I tried the number for the impeller, but it comes up as a no-go on MinnPar's website. I'll have to check with them. The ceramic disc is not attached to the impeller. Parts book shows it as one unit, but are they supposed to be attached? Or seperate? Could this be reattached with something ????

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_D - 26 Aug 2013 at 8:37pm
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 4:51am
Andrew,

AC 45 grader service manual says

"Ceramic insert - bonded to impeller (not serviced separately)"

Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 6:56am
Originally posted by Ian Beale Ian Beale wrote:

Andrew,

AC 45 grader service manual says

"Ceramic insert - bonded to impeller (not serviced separately)"

OK. Does the AC45 have the same engine?

The parts book for the HD11 says "IMPELLER ASSEMBLY (includes ceramic insert)" so I wasn't 100% sure if it was 1 piece or 2.

I'm going to be phoning MinnPar today to see if they have, or can get the impeller, but it shows not available on their website. That's why I'm wondering about re-bonding it to the impeller.

Anyone have any ideas?

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_D - 27 Aug 2013 at 5:27pm
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 3:53pm
Andrew,

The AC 45's all have the 516 engine.  Early ones are ADS 516 (Lanova head with horizontal injectors) and later ones 10000 and 11000 series.  So I'd punt the same pump.

I got a seal for ours from Minnpar a while ago as a spare. 

I'd also punt that you'd be OK with a used impeller so long as the creamic was OK - didn't look too fragile to me.
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 5:26pm
Just a quick note on today's progress.

After fighting with getting the water pump out of this machine (4-5 hours), I didn't even bother to go to the HD11 parts machine I got as part of the deal. I had figured that a few bucks for some bearings and seals was worth the hassle and then I'd know where I was at.

Well, this morning I went over and had a look. As luck would have it, removing the water pump was a breeze on this machine. Being the ag version (HD11S), it didn't have the large hard nose with the cylinder brackets which meant easy side access. The pulley came off very easy, unlike the one on the running machine. Having learned a couple of tricks on getting the first one out of the timing gear housing, the parts machine gave up its' water pump quite easily.

Once I got it out, the seal is in good-enough-to-use condition and the impeller/ceramic looks good too. Bearings were pretty loose though, so I took it all apart and had 2 water pumps in pieces.

I cleaned out all the old, dry grease and reassembled with the new bearings I picked up yesterday and the old seal and impeller. I'm hoping that it will last for a bit while I get my hands on a pair of bearings and a seal to rebuild the remaining pieces - if I have a ready-to-go spare on the shelf, this one should last an eternity!

I didn't even try to remove the old seal - just used the water pump housing from the parts machine!

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_D - 27 Aug 2013 at 6:48pm
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 6:58pm
Anyone have thoughts on ordering a new impeller?
Or is there a way to bond the ceramic disc back on to the impeller and use the one I've got?

I've read a bit on-line about using RTV silicone to bond the two together. Wasn't for this specific engine, but should work...

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_D - 27 Aug 2013 at 7:05pm
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 9:11pm
dad and i just went through this on one the 8550's.  the seal was leaking because it came  loose from the back of the impeller.  we ordered a new seal and come to find out, the rest of the seal is bonded to the back of the impeller and you had to buy it also.  luckily it was still available so we didnt have to try any bonding.  we wondered if an epoxy of some kind would work better than silicone?  

good luck

be careful not to touch the ceramic faces with anything even your fingers

Edited by CAL(KS) - 28 Aug 2013 at 9:13pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 4:39pm
Well, after rebuilding the water pump from the parts dozer with new bearings, it appears to be working. Tested first with water and no leaks. Drained overnight and refilled today with coolant. All looks well!

On the second pump front, the RTV silicone appears to be working to keep the silicon disk and impeller together. I'll order some bearings locally. The other set I got was cheaper delivered to my door than MinnPar's price on the website, so I'll do that again. That will give me a spare water pump "just in case"!

I've got an email in to MinnPar about the seal. Also getting prices for the 3 v-belts. Was able to find the generator/water pump belt available locally, but can't seem to match the length of the fan belts. Might end up ordering a set along with the water pump seal...

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_D - 29 Aug 2013 at 4:41pm
Steve allis dozer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 5:57pm
its hard to find parts for a forty to fifty year old machine also with the company that made them gone for around thirty years, track rollers were up to $600 compared to cat rollers for $300 over here and because no one would buy them for that price they stopped making them ,sooner or later minnpar will stop making parts for the same reason , you cant buy some final drive seals anymore and transmission parts
I think you can still buy the water pump complete if your rebuilt one fails but I think you mite have to sit down when you get the price !

Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 6:49am
Just a bit of an update. Finally got finished with harvest and fall field work - fertilizer, etc. I borrowed my neighbour's lowbed and moved the dozer to some land we purchased last spring with a bit of bush on it.

Ground is froze here now, so it skims off the willows and small stuff fairly easily - cuts them off at ground level. I started on a smaller bunch of poplars to get used to the machine and am pushing them over 1 or 2 at a time, then piling.

The biggest problem so far is that the original owner did some clearing in the early 1980's. He had everything pushed over, looks like he windrowed it and burned it.....but that's it! He never cleaned up the left over windrows. So now 30-50 feet in from the edge of each slough is a mound 2 feet high and 5 feet wide that is mostly frozen! I'm piling the trees on top of this mound. Hopefully next fall we can burn the windrows and piles and then re-pile it all to get the dirt out - gotta make a root/rock rake for this machine!

With the poplars being so close together, I've had to push on them with the corner couple feet of the blade in order to only get 1 or 2 at a time. (Where possible I push in the middle of the blade.) Is this going to be trouble over time? (The blade is 12.5 feet.)

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_D - 26 Nov 2013 at 6:50am
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 10:28pm
Do what you gotta do- probably won't be doing anything that hasn't been done before with the old dozer.
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 6:44am

Do what you gotta do- probably won't be doing anything that hasn't been done before with the old dozer.

Yeah, that's true!!

Hoping to get down your way to pick up those pads Trevor. We've got friends in Somerset, so am thinking on heading that way and drop the wife and kids off to visit on my way there. Not sure when though....

Andrew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic