This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M & W Piston

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M & W Piston
    Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 8:41pm
yeap a short rod will bend easier cause it will make more power. Its basic trig.  piston speed is the highest when the crank and rod is at right angle. the tangent of the angle atdc is twice the rod ratio for the engine. According to Dimitri Elgin (sourced) you add 2 to 3 degrees to that  for the signal to reach the intake valve at the speed of sound and its effect on the airflow . the shorter the rod the quicker piston acceleration peeks usually around 70 degrees atdc . the longer the rod the latter piston acceleration peaks occurring as late as 80 degrees atdc.
Sponsored Links

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 1:38pm
both M&W pistons the AP-46 and AP-49 for the Allis have the same piston casting, they just vary the wrist pin height depending on the WC-WD or the WD-45 and D-17 piston.  You can see the flashing in the casting for the other pin height on some of them.

I've measured the bowl volume to be right close to 70cc.  They are thick enough and can be trimmed out more should you want to vary things some.

I don't know what the power crater piston volume is. 

Stock rods will take quite a bit of compression, it's going to depend on when and how hard you light the cylinder, keeping good gas in and late timeing they will take a lot at least a 12 to 1 ratio and there's many of them running much higher.  Though poor gas and advanced timeing would destroy them at 9 to 1 compression.  It also depends on the rod angle, if you have a stroked crank and the shorter rod, they just bend easier when put at more of an angle.  Simple physics.

Edited by wi50 - 05 Jun 2013 at 1:40pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
HasNat View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HasNat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 12:32pm
I am trying to find out what the CC is on a M & W Piston. the dished out part?
Does anybody know what the cc is on the dished out part an the power crater piston to. both 4 1/8 inch. also, how much compression can I run on a wd45 motor? with stock connecting rods.
Is there other connecting rods I can use that are stronger. somebody was saying there are some out there off of a Pontiac. but I don't know what motor.
thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic