This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

500 loader problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnabas_12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 500 loader problem
    Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 9:27am
I bought a 500 loader I found in a guy's grove awhile back.  I put in on my D19 to move snow.  It is hooked into the regular spool valve on the tractor.  There is a problem with it 'stalling'.  It will raise/lower OK at times, and be real agravating other times.  It 'chatters' when it is working, and makes no sound at all when stalled.  This goes for both the lift and the tilt.  In fact, they seem to act up or behave together.  When it stalls, I've noticed a couple things.  It is worse on ground that is not level.  Also, changing gears will help it 'unstall'.   It seems to work best in reverse.  I checked it off to being dug out of a grove and just needed to get smoothed-up.  However, this is the second year and it isn't much better.  It is worse with the lower fluid levels, but it is still trouble even if over-filled.  

Note that the 3 point arms are also stalled when the loader is stalled.  The hydrolics all seem to work great on other equipment - not even a hint of any problems.  I've thought about changing all the hoses and fittings on the loader, but thought I'd check here before I spent that kind of money.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Sponsored Links

AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 9:36am

Is your 3pt. running up and down at the same time the loader is? When it "stalls" does the clatter get loud then stop? their could be somthing wrong with the loader cyilders causing the pump to quit when it gets too much of a load. Our woodsplitter will quit working behind our WD45 if we are splitting fence row blocks or when we are using the loader to pull stumps and it "clatters to a stop" and the tractor idles back up. I think there was a pressure release on these tractors? I think bad hoses/fittings would trip this system if there is one?

Edited by AC WD45 - 23 Jan 2010 at 9:38am
barnabas_12 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnabas_12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 12:09pm
3pt has it's own control on the spool valve, so it does not run up and down with the loader.  It goes quiet when it stalls, not louder. The issue does not seem to be related to load - it's just as likely to have a problem with/without load, with no change in sound.  Thanks
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 1:22pm
Coupla things to check:  Hydraulic fluid free of water or chunks of ice? Filter free of same?  Pull the relief valve assembly out of the valve spool, and inspect for a broken spring/ debris trapped in the system.  If you haven't changed the hyd fluids in some time, it wouldn't be a bad idea to drop the hyd pan, just ahead of your feet, and inspect the innards, below the pump.  The pump operates off of a camshaft, it is a 4 roller pump, has cam followers that roll along the camshaft.  If you find metal filings in the pan, or a part or two there, drop the pump and inspect. We had a cam follower roller wear its way out of a bracket, once.  The above should keep you busy for a while.  Let us know what you find.

Edited by DiyDave - 23 Jan 2010 at 1:23pm
barnabas_12 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnabas_12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 1:37pm
DiyDave - Thanks for the advice.   Because other things work fine, I'm hesitant to begin tearing into the tractor and pump first.  I'll probably go through the loader first.
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 3:20pm
Do you have bent rams on your loader?
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 4:55pm

Are you using the two valves on the tractor or are you using one valve on the tractor to feed a set of valves for the loader? And are the couplers on the loader the right ones for your tractor?

3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 5:02pm
I eliminated use of the OE remotes connectors at the back of my tractor as when I was using the loader the three point was not available, using the 3 point meant the loader did not operate.  I tapped in under the tractor in the HP line from the pump to a control valve just for the loader then back to the OE line to the rest of the hydraulics.  I can starve the system using two functions at once but there is always flow; as to stalling, sounds like a relief lifting and failing to reset until something gets exercised.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic