This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD 16 on Craigslist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hyperpack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD 16 on Craigslist
    Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 10:40pm
http://northernwi.craigslist.org/grd/3727174269.html

Just saw this, no connection with seller, maybe someone needs parts.
Hyperpack
Sponsored Links

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 11:38pm
If that guy is only looking for a $100.00 for the whole machine it is a real steal of a deal!!
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 9:19am
Looks like an old Garwood dozer on that tractor.
boneyard View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boneyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 6:19pm
It's mine. No I don't want $100 for the whole thing, but that would be a steal! It's been sitting in that spot for roughly 15 years, did run, that spot is where he shut it off. A few options here: 
1)selling parts off of it, 
2)selling it whole-not for $100, I'm leaning more towards $7,500 
3)Torch it up and let it sit until scrap goes up a bit.
I'd rather someone save her than me scrap it :)
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 10:20pm
I'd rather see someone save er from scrap also. Hope you can sell er whole. Darrel
boneyard View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boneyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 10:05am
A guy called me just to give me info on it...he says its from the 40's or 50's. I'm not really sure...anyone else think they might know?
Also, took a couple batteries out there and got spark! Maybe she will run??
Going to mess with it today a little...
It's still for sale!

Edited by boneyard - 10 Apr 2013 at 10:14am
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 10:13am
Probably about 1955.  I you get the serial number we could tell for sure.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 2:32pm
buda/lanova engine makes it a 55' - 58'.  and not meaning to be rude but, realisticaly 7500 is about double what that machine is worth.  especially having not moved or been started in 15 years.  I paid $3000 for mine and it started and drove itself onto the trailer.  Did it need some work?  Yes, quite a bit,  and now that its a reliable working machine that gets 150 hrs a year pushing dirt, could i get $7500 for it? doubtful

Edited by CAL(KS) - 10 Apr 2013 at 2:33pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
boneyard View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boneyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 8:33am
Because if it does not sell, I will torch it up and haul it in as prepared iron.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:23am
I'm not sure of your logic boneyard.  Seems like it it is only worth a couple thousand as scrap, plus you have the cost of cutting it up and hauling it to the yard.  It's your machine, and you can do what you want, but it seems like there would be more money in it to see if it runs and sell it for a reasonable price, maybe scrap plus 20%.  Just my 2 cents.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 2:14pm
What do one of these weigh?
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 3:38pm
Glock, it weighs app. 20 tons,  give or take..

200 a ton at 20 tons is 4000...
   and you have to dig it out of the ravine it is sitting in or drive it out...
     what is stuck or not functioning after all the years , who knows...
  Might need to hirer a bigger cat to fish this out...
  He said yesterday he had spark, but question is, does the engine turn over? or is it stuck with 15 years of rust?

Talked to a few heavy equipment parts places in used stuff like this and they said a thousand bucks dropped off.
  Worth more in scrap than whole... specially when steering clutches and main clutches freeze up on stuff like this... and the engines too.
  If it was running, It would have a better chance of survival.. but so much of this stuff just gets hauled to scrapyard and destroyed.

They get between 150 to 225 for the stuff thats hauled in from their yards ... only able to give app. price since the price has been fluctuating so much up and down.

The suppliers comment  was something like, "That tractor sounds like trouble... and its going to cost you a lot of money, time and grief if it don't move on its own..."  
  So its how well off you are and how capable you are too to get it going and back into usuable condition AND what kind of a deal you can work out..  He figured it should be less than 3 to be fair with buyer and seller... running.
  ... And that is from a guy that would give only  thousand if you started it and drove it off your trailer in their yard! 

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 7:54pm
Spoke to a hauler on edwins not running 7G, they would move it for me, providing it was a straight shot on the trailer and we could get another tractor to side drag or push it to load it, would have to have the loader chained in up position and all other readies already made or would add per hour costs. 130 miles+/- to our place from him, $900 estimate.

Edwin wouldn't discuss price, was firm so I had to back out of it, costs to move it too high for the $3800 price tag and not know if it would be any more than a donor tractor. Never got to get a look at it.

For scrap here it is worth $16-1800($140/ton, 23,000#),Willie at Chartrand said he wouldn't give that much not running, even so I offered $2000, he declined.

Edited by DMiller - 11 Apr 2013 at 7:58pm
boneyard View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boneyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 11:28pm
Prices here are a bit higher. On the low side now but as always will fluctuate. I would cut it up where she sits, pile it behind my barn...and wait. At 335 or so and it is about 20 tons...you do the math. I'm not in dire need of the cash which is why I will sell whole, part out, or sit on it. Plans are to mess with it this weekend-not putting much at all into seeing if it runs. 
I've been scrapping here for many years, I know what I can or can't get out of it :)
To someone, it'll be worth it.
I do appreciate the info some of you have given...I would have had no idea what year it was!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2013 at 4:24am
Haven't seen scrap prices above $250/ton in the last five years, and never near $300, still it is around a rolling average of $150/ton nationwide and pretty stable today. Given where we stand with NKorea the world may need a bit of scrap soon but I suspect the pricing won't be as good as has been.

I return all unusable scrap I can and to the highest payer here, have been for nearly four decades. Clean scrap is less than 100# or 2'x3' chunks, it is how to get the premium pricing, a machine intact will cost you $100-300 for gas and gasoline or diesel to cut it up and haul it out plus the lost time in labor to do it of around three days to a week that could have been used elsewhere productively.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 10:42am
Boneyard, We are waiting to hear if you got the 16 running yet... or if the engine even turns over.
  "Plans are to mess with it this weekend-not putting much at all into seeing if it runs. "   ... Or do you need somebody to come down with couple big batteries, can of fuel and a can of ether?
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 6:47pm
Boneyard, I tried to look at the craigslist post... Not there. Did you sell the HD16?
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 12:32am
Found it on mpls/St.Paul craiglist... and posted on 4-14.
*I'm going to start torching on her MONDAY. If you want anything off it or the whole thing call me!**
I don't know the year for sure, I would guess it to be 1950's
Many good parts!!!
Will sell whole for only $7500
Call or text 715 nine33 one755 ANYTIME!
NO SPAMMERS< SCAMMERS
Talks about no hurry can cut it up and sell when price comes up, but all at once he going to start cutting on monday...
 ahh... that was yesterday. and he posted it just 24 hours prior. 
  Must be real urgent for him to dispose of it real quick.
 Some people don't watch craigslist all the time. ... Some never watch it either. LOL 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 4:30am
Boneyard is trying to push demand, does not realize he will have a pile of scrap in a few days sitting, waiting, maybe forever for a price that may never come while trying to force a buy at a price that cannot be justified for the machine as it sits whole.

Price isn't what or where you can put it but where the market can bear it and he has not seen that fact, just sees a mound of money he can get one way or another whether it is really there or not.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 5:11am
One comment most likely to lead in, "was running fine when parked", doesn't matter it is stuck now, or that it will take hundreds or thousands to make it run again, or the little issue of a failed bearing or blowing coolant or lack of controls that shut it down the last time it ran that has been forgotten or ignored. Machines sitting for long periods have seals dry out, bearings/bushings freeze up, water infiltration and rust eats away, not always a good choice for a buy and never at a premium price. Sitting awaiting scrap to go up is like watching gold prices, today demand is lower so steel is selling for a lot less. Cash's recycle in St. Louis is only paying $175/ton for clean process scrap, they won't pay clean price for rough, mixed or large size scrap, they set our regional market.

A running price tag means the machine will start, run and work, scrap price is for a machine sitting and rotting in place. may be just as well he gets what he asks for and cuts it up, may not be worth any more than that.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 12:36am
you hit the nail on the head Dave'
At the end of the day all these things are only worth what the BUYER wants to pay !
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 1:10am
A good self test for determining selling price is asking yourself if you would be willing to pay the said price if you were looking to buy......and at this point you (hopefully) know the condition of the machine better than anyone else.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
boneyard View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boneyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 7:27pm
F.Y.I. My old lady does all the postings on CL, she wants it gone so put the stuff about torching it Monday thinking it would go quicker? Either way, she changed them.
Also, I am not in St. Louis, I know what I can get for scrap at $150, $200...etc. I don't need everyone to figure it out at their prices in their state, thanks though.
For all of you with no faith, wait and see, someone will take it, and I am not firm on $7500...2 guys coming tomorrow to look at it so hey, ya never know.

I finally got some numbers off of it after much confusion about what the heck it is or the year.
The only numbers I can find on it are Model 281
and Serial 2894
Can anyone tell me anything about this? 

I'm willing to negotiate more now simply because I just purchased a hobby farm, the house needs some work so I gotta get rid of some things quick for that reason.
I have looked a ton of HD16 (up to 1974) and they go anywhere from $2500-$14,000, running, not running, parts...whatever. So as far as what you guys think it's worth, that's what you think it's worth. It's worth it to someone. 

One man's junk is another man's treasure :)
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 10:20pm
Model 281 is the Garwood cable control unit.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 10:58pm
Well I was close down that way today near Wheeler and it was not fun in all the snow, wet and rain that was around...  otherwise I might have given a call to see what it looked like up close.
boneyard View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boneyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 6:57pm
Worst snowfall we get all year ends up hitting us in May.
And today, all the kids are outside in shorts eating popsicles!
A couple people have come to look at it for parts but they ended up not being the right ones.
I'm trying to figure out exactly what year it is but proving to be a difficult task!
I finally come across the owners manual for it but it is for multiple models?Confused
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 9:49pm

the serial # for the tractor should be on both, a plaque on the dash panel and stamped on the right hand side of the rear end.  on the outside behind where the steering clutch is.

it will say HD16A-xxxx
if 2894 is the tractor serial then it is an early 58'
serial # 4000 and below are buda lanova engine
16A is gear drive machine,  16AC is torque converter
6 forward 3 rev = 16A
3 foreward 3 rev = 16AC
16A will have 2 shift levers on floor  16AC has 1
i cant see the current listing and i dont remember the pictures well enough to say which it is.
im pretty sure i remember it had upside down filters which is a give away for buda/lanova engine.  that puts it 55-58

Edited by CAL(KS) - 06 May 2013 at 10:03pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic