This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What does it cost.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chllngr528 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does it cost.....
    Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 6:34pm
to build a light limited super-stock pulling tractor. I would like to pull in a class similar to this. 
 http://www.midtnpullers.com/rules/6200superfarmrules.html
Sponsored Links

chllngr528 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chllngr528 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 6:37pm
I have been pulling tractors since I could enter the pedal tractor pulls. Then progressed on to the garden tractors then my B and finally my WD45. I took a hiatus for a little while but I'm about to start again and I was thinking about stepping it up and notch....or 3.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 6:52pm
well midtn pullers is here in gods country the south.  check with slade he lurks around here  or kieth and louis hanney at haney equipment tanner alabama. Slade sold his ride but those three are allis men and Jr amd cujo are good rides with  helpful knowledgeable southern hospitality.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 6:56pm
Buy the parts used , alot of good used stuff out there cause some people always want the new stuff ; what model are you interested in doing this with ?
O.P.S. Heads View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 7:11pm
If you buy top performing new parts you could easily spend $60,000 plus if you start from scratch. You will have 25 -  $30 K in the fuel system, clutch, turbo(s) and rear tires and wheels and you still have yet to buy a tractor. Yes some money can be saved when buying used.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chllngr528 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 7:30pm
I dont know what model I would be doing it with. I do have a 180 that spun a bearing available to me at scrap cost. Right now I just plan on pulling my WD45 and seeing how it goes. I was more or less just curious and maybe would start getting serious next year if all goes well.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chllngr528 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 7:31pm
Doug where are some good places to look for used parts? Ebay?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 7:38pm
That's a good plan. I would recommend purchasing your fuel system and turbo(s) after everything else is done as the technology / performance on those pieces improves at a rapid rate. Don't buy that stuff new now expecting to be pulling in two years. It will be out dated.

Good luck.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chllngr528 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 7:50pm
Shoot I bet the tire are the single most expensive thing on the whole tractor!!! Out of curiousity what type/size turbos are tractors in these classes running. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.P.S. Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 7:51pm
The stuff I have mentioned is all diesel stuff. You could probably build a 370 C.I. alky burner for much less and there would be guys on here who could help you with it. That might be another good plan. Go fast - 4 - less. 

Turbo's in the size range are Borg Warner S400's, Garrett GT45 - 47's, and Holset HT60, HX60, and H3's

Edited by O.P.S. Heads - 26 Mar 2013 at 7:54pm
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 8:01pm
Pulloff, Ebay, some tractor pulling websites have classifieds
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chllngr528 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 8:13pm
Wow those turbos are a little bigger then expected. What are these engines running for cubes? 
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 8:41pm
I checked out those rules, 470 diesel with a 3" inlet, 370 alky with a 3" inlet. Stock casting heads etc. So it's similar to any of the other LLSS rules around the country though some only allow for a 410 cid diesel.

I'm going to lay it out like this.
$10,000 for fancy rims and tires
$3500 for turbo
$5000 fuel system.
$3500 for clutch, can, flywheel, etc.
Most of the chassis aren't that expensive, but who's going to build all the little stuff? Plumbing, fuel tank, hitch, wheelie bars, weight brackets etc? If a guy can do it himself still figure on a few thousand dollars in supplies, odds'n ends and running around.
Now add the engine, which is pretty cheap, alum rods for the alky, custom pistons and head work, manifolds, etc and $10,000 might get you close.
You still need an ignition and a data logger. $2500 for each

So we're somewhere around $40,000 if you're handy.

So buy 2 of everything, buy it all new, give up your kids college fund. Don't listen to anyone and replace parts because you think they're bad. Get the most costly fanciest ignition system you can and then replace that too. Maybe you can spend $100,000

Now let someone who bought a $4500 engine that's an obsolete 4 cyl and shouldn't be competitive scrap happy it into a fencerow chassis, take the heads to someone who doesn't know but thinks something might work, or at least might work better than something else but still doesn't really know for sure or even care. Try it, lean it out, kick the rods out of it because it did work and make some new ones. Put it back togather with used junk and go to the Winternationals and win. All for probably less than the price of a used car with half that being in rims and tires.

Edited by wi50 - 26 Mar 2013 at 8:49pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 9:26pm
Its hard to kill a RAT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqytkzMEk2I
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic