This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Machine Shop equipment auction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Machine Shop equipment auction
    Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 5:26am
Seen a local auctioneer had this listed.  Looks like some good equipment.  NE of Columbus about 45min or so

'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
Sponsored Links

Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 11:39am
Looks like an expansion Plan for Butch to me!
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 1:26pm
Ken, he can do the " I'n house" for panks cranks... Hehe
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 1:55pm
our grinder is better . however when doing the 4 3/4 and 4 7/8 bores i would prefer the van norman 4 paw boring bar over our kwik way 3 paw

Edited by mlpankey - 22 Mar 2013 at 1:56pm
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 4:11pm
Ken If I only had the room for that crank grinder,,, want to donate to shop expansion project?? LOL Three have sold close to me recently and all have gone dirt cheap.
 The seat and guide machine would be of interest except we recently made the move to all Neway seat equipment and love itWink
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 8:46pm

Butch, I was figuring that you would go in and make  a bid on the whole shebang and then I could come down and help you move it, LOL. I know what you mean about Crank grinders, A friend of mine had a big VanNorman that would take 84" between centers, he sold it for just over scrap price, I can't justify the space for no more than I can pay someone else to grind cranks for. As for Boring, I prefer my DeVlieg JigMill,  1" to 20" diameter, and up to 24" deep, we can bore it, and know exactly where the bore is when we are done.

Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 9:13pm
Hard to figure prices on some of the stuff. Been trying to buy a seat and guide machine for quite a spell but they go high?  Finally just gave up and bit the bullet  for the Neway set up.  Now his will probably go for junk price, LOL.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2013 at 9:22pm
do those crank grinders and valve seat/guide machines ever wear out? 
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 8:40am
Lou, the stuff does wear out, but most of the equipment built before 1980 is pretty much rebuildable forever. Once the foreigners started to enter the market, things really went downhill, there is very little out there in the way of machine tools being built today that is not considered throw away.
Ihateillinoisnazis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Ken(MI) Ken(MI) wrote:

Lou, the stuff does wear out, but most of the equipment built before 1980 is pretty much rebuildable forever. Once the foreigners started to enter the market, things really went downhill, there is very little out there in the way of machine tools being built today that is not considered throw away.

You got it Ken. We just sent a couple Toyoda cam grinders (mid 90's units) out the door for scrap. The Norton cam grinders built in the 50's we have are still running strong, several rebuilds on grinder spindles and ways but no issues that can't be taken care of. It's amazing how light modern milling/turning centers are built compared to the manual machines of years ago.  Look at a New Britain screw machine, the things have been around since WWII and still turn out quality parts faster than a modern CNC lathe can.  
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 10:18pm
who/how would one go bout getting one "rebuilt" and what kinda money we talking?
Wait for the Lord;
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 10:15am
Lou, there are companies out there that specialize in machinery rebuilding, but the definition is like a restored tractor. Truly rebuilt means stripped to bare castings, remachined and scraped to as-new tolerances, updated wiring and controls, spindles and workheads rebuilt, new bearings throughout, way covers, etc. etc. generally speaking rebuilding a small crank grinder would be in the neighborhood of $40,000 to $60,000 depending on lots of variables, but it would be a solid investment in a machine that would be once again ready to do excellent work for the next 20 to 30 years. I've gone to buying machines built in the 80's and 90's by North American companies that are now pretty much gone, I try to find them in one shift, non production environments and have had good luck  with that. I have one 2007 Hurco mill that we bought new just to explore it's capabilities, and found them to not be much of a machine, much like Fadal, Haas and all the other junk out there. I will take my Tree and Monarch VMCS anyday. They may not have the glitz at the control, but they move stock like no other, and will fill a hopper with chips without breaking a sweat, or chattering across the floor.
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 10:22am
lou there i think there is an equipment resto place in east butler so wouldn't bee that far from you
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 10:32am
Mrgoodwrench,   about a mile for you! lol
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 12:58pm
Passed up a Van Norman crank grinder back in 1974 for $1600... and it had been totally rebuilt... (Selling for the cost of rebuild... old, 1958 model) The owner had sent the grinder out and the shop gave him a programmed grinder and the employees were liking the new machine so much, that the owner bought it and was selling the rebuilt.  Wished I had made the deal for the machine ... was all complete and all accesories would go with it...  He would even grind a crank in shop to demonsrtate it... Probably would be considered unproductive antique today.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Ken(MI) Ken(MI) wrote:

Lou, there are companies out there that specialize in machinery rebuilding, but the definition is like a restored tractor. Truly rebuilt means stripped to bare castings, remachined and scraped to as-new tolerances, updated wiring and controls, spindles and workheads rebuilt, new bearings throughout, way covers, etc. etc. generally speaking rebuilding a small crank grinder would be in the neighborhood of $40,000 to $60,000 depending on lots of variables, but it would be a solid investment in a machine that would be once again ready to do excellent work for the next 20 to 30 years. I've gone to buying machines built in the 80's and 90's by North American companies that are now pretty much gone, I try to find them in one shift, non production environments and have had good luck  with that. I have one 2007 Hurco mill that we bought new just to explore it's capabilities, and found them to not be much of a machine, much like Fadal, Haas and all the other junk out there. I will take my Tree and Monarch VMCS anyday. They may not have the glitz at the control, but they move stock like no other, and will fill a hopper with chips without breaking a sweat, or chattering across the floor.
with the readily available and cost productive automotive cranks on the market in the automotive performance world it takes several years for a crank grinder to pay its shelf off. The antique pulling world is a different story but one needs a crank welding machine to acompany the crank grinder.jmho
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 4:17pm
Thanks for the feed back guys. As I am nearing retirement, I was considering something on the side to make spending money. I know nothing about machine shop work, but always had an interest, plus, my boys already have a small machine shop set up for themselves, so I could just move in with them. But, the question would be could I get sufficient return for the investment on such a short life cycle....I'm 62 now, so I would not be doing this for more than 10-12 years in all likelihood.
Wait for the Lord;
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic