This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help identifying my loader/backhoe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwalz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help identifying my loader/backhoe
    Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 9:27pm
Greetings.  I need some help identifying my machine.  It has a back hoe and a front end loader on it.  Probably from the 50's or 60's.  The numbers 221068 (might be 88 at the end) are cast into a plate on the right side transmission.  Also, the numbers 149-1368R are found on the right side of the engine.  There is a nameplate on the loader, but it's almost impossible to make anything out on it.  However, I think I see the number L600 on that label.  I can send pictures if you think you can help.  I am absolutely new to this forum, but read through a lot of the posts.

Anything you can share with me is appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 9:59pm
Welcome to the forum, you'll have a great time on here. Sounds like you have an I 600 Loader Backhoe, I've had one of those. I may get you a production year later unless someone beats me to it.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
kwalz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwalz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 10:06pm
wow, that was quick.  What are you basing that on?  Was it the numbers I gave off the engine or the tranny?  Or the L600 number?
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 10:12pm
The '149' on the engine would refer to the cubic inch size of the motor, which will be in the I 600. I figured your quote of L 600 would be close enough to to be sure of the model. It's a nice little machine for home/acreage use. 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
kwalz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwalz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 10:17pm
I figured the 149 was the cubic inches.  I've heard of the I600, but I triple checked that number on the loader, and it's definitely an L.  Any idea where to find the serial number on it?  I'm having a little spark issue right now, but the distributor cap is all but shot.  I ordered one yesterday, but it won't be in until Tuesday at the earliest.  Thanks so much for your help, by the way.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 10:30pm
You're likely with time to have more input here on the forum to get answers. It's so long ago since I had my I 600 that I won't be able to quote too many details by memory, however, I do have a D14 tractor with the same engine. Good luck on getting that bug out of it, keep us posted on your progress. Incidentally, I can't seem to find serial # listings for your machine. 

Edited by Eric B - 24 Feb 2013 at 10:31pm
kwalz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwalz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 12:43pm
Is it possible to post photos in this forum?
Breeze View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 1:00pm
I had a d15 with Henry L100 loader with 149 engine. My d15 also had Heney (Mark 1) backhoe.   There are manuals for them floating around on the web and possibly even some on here have them.

yep on the pictures, just click on rich text editor its the double box above reply pane with arrow pointing 1 oclock. from there its pretty simple
kwalz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwalz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 2:29pm
This is what I believe to be the serial number.  It's on the right side of the transmission, near the shift lever, on a cover plate.  From what I've read, this number should be stamped, but this is cast.  I didn't notice the stamping until I just went to take this picture.  As you can see, it appears this tractor used to be yellow.
kwalz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwalz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 2:36pm

This stamping is on the left side of the engine.  This is where I got the 149 number in my original post.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 3:24pm
On the tractor itself take a look where the torque tube meets the back of the engine block on the left side, about a one inch wide strip coming down on an angle, take sand paper if necessary to see the numbers well, that should at least give you the serial # of the tractor......maybe they have included I 600?
kwalz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwalz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 4:02pm
That number plate you told me to look for is right where you said it would be. However, it's totally horizontal, does not come down in an angle. This is the stamping that has the 149 number on it.
Breeze View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 5:34pm
that looks to be the Henry brand  hoe and loader. My d15 had same radiator/grill brush guard and yep, mine was yellow.  does yours have pto or lift?  mine didnt so I was told mine was industrial unit.
kwalz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwalz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 5:50pm
No. It does not have PTO. Someone else told me it was an Industrial also. I believe it came with a 6 volt system, but currently has a 12v system.
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 5:54pm
Does it have adjustable rear wheels? Many of the early industrial tractors did.  Non adjustable front with power adjust rear wheels, I know sounds stupid, but that is what most of the sales literature shows. The number stamped on the bell housing will tell the story.
Breeze View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 6:03pm
I was looking through old posts over on the other site(yt) and there was mention of a mark II backhoe and L600 loader on a d15  and also a L99 loader and Mark backhoe on a d12 so Im sure there were lots of combinations.  If you check ebay regularly you might run up on a manual like i had. It was a complete owners manual with parts list and complete diagram of backhoe and loader, even had valve pressure settings listed. I enjoyed mine til it sold, looks like yours is in great condition for its age, enjoy and good luck with it.

found this on ebay
 http:///www.ebay.com/itm/HENRY-L-600-LOADER-FOR-THE-ALLIS-CHALMERS-D14-TRACTOR-PARTS-INSTRUCTION-MANUAL-/150841818697

Edited by Breeze - 25 Feb 2013 at 6:11pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 6:11pm
You are still not finding the serial number.  Look on the carberator side of the tractor, where motor bolts up to the torque tube.  Kinda looks like a hexagon, or octagon cast into the back of the engine.  Where these 2 castings meet, the motor info will be on the motor flange, and the serial # will be stamped into the torque tube casting.  Looks like an early I-60, to me, cause it has a round muffler, and sheet metal radiator shell.
kwalz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwalz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 6:14pm
It appears to have adjustable rear wheels.  I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that, but there are spiral shaped bars welded to the inner rim with locking mechanism on them.  Almost looks like you could position them inward or outward a few inches.

I've spent quite some time looking for a stamping on the bell housing, but not having any luck finding one.  I put a picture in a previous post of a boss that is cast into the engine block with the numbers 149-13688R stamped into it.  Not really sure if that's the serial number though.

Also, getting a lot of D15/I600 help.  Is an I600 just a D15 with a backhoe and loader?
kwalz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwalz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 6:20pm
This is a picture of the left side of the engine.  The mating flanges are the rear of the engine and the torque tube.  Look at the torque tube flange, you'll see a boss cast into the flange, but there are no numbers on it.  There is a boss in the upper left corner of the photo with the 149-13688R number stamped  in it.  DiyDave, do you think this number is information on the engine?

Edited by kwalz - 25 Feb 2013 at 6:22pm
Breeze View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 6:29pm
mine had numbers in that blank boss you describe on torque tube, mine was D15-4694  Engine # was 149-12491R
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by kwalz kwalz wrote:

This is a picture of the left side of the engine.  The mating flanges are the rear of the engine and the torque tube.  Look at the torque tube flange, you'll see a boss cast into the flange, but there are no numbers on it.  There is a boss in the upper left corner of the photo with the 149-13688R number stamped  in it.  DiyDave, do you think this number is information on the engine?

A picture is perhaps worth a thousand words.  The  numbers on the boss, on the engine is likely the motor serial #.  Unfortunately, a motor serial # is not likely to give you a tractor serial #.  There might be someone out there, that knows how to read them for a date, but it could also be a replacement motor block.
  Don't know why the serial number boss, for the tractor is blank, but others have said, on other AC tractors, that if the torque tube was replaced, by a dealer, then the new part, would not have a number stamped into the boss.  The mechanic was supposed to then stamp in the original number, from the old part.  From my own experience, dealers of that time likely didn't have a set of stamps to do it with!

Whatever you do, if you choose it make it serial number 1, make sure you get the stamp lined up and oriented, in the right direction.  Otherwise you will end up looking rather foolish, with your # 1 tractor, with the upside down serial #!!
kwalz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwalz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 7:12pm
I wish I could buy each and every one of you a cold beer!!!  I found the serial number.  It's right where you said it would be, just under a whole lot of paint.  Eric told me to scrape the paint, and then sandpaper, which I did, but didn't take it down to bare metal.  I just did that, and there it was, plain as....., well not really plain, but I was able to make it out.  It looks like a D14  #13102.  Does this sound plausible?

I'm sure I'll have a thousand more questions.

Thanks guys,  I've only been on this forum for 24 hours, and I feel like I've met a whole bunch of new friends.
Breeze View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 7:17pm
absolutely, you found what you were looking for.  Someone will chime it with a birth year soon. Yep, you found a great group of people to answer questions and offer loads of Allis Chalmers knowledge. Welcome.  If you look around the behind shroud of controls for hoe you might find the Henry hoe tag, itll be held on with rivets. Or might be, mine was and tag for loader was on inside frame near levers.

Edited by Breeze - 25 Feb 2013 at 7:22pm
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 7:37pm
1958. 1959 started with 14900.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 7:49pm
I'll look tomorrow at the price sheets and the other stuff in that envelop from 59 and show ya all.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic