This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD 5 with bucket.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD 5 with bucket.
    Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 10:19pm
A friend has a chance to get an HD 5 that has been sitting for years.  The tracks are frozen.  Is there anyone who would tackle the restoration for him?  Location of machine is in Illinois just across the Mississippi from St. Louis, MO.
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 10:25pm
Should be a easy project with a little help and some mechanical skills. It is a HD5G with a Tracto-Motive TL5 loader . 1 yard machine . 
2-71 Detroit Diesel (48 aprox. HP at 1800 RPM) Depending on year of mfg either transmission could be in machine 1 or 2 reverse gears. 
 Frozen track links might free up by moving machine or using a large shock to pin and bushing area / be it with track on or off machine. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

Should be a easy project with a little help and some mechanical skills. It is a HD5G with a Tracto-Motive TL5 loader . 1 yard machine . 
2-71 Detroit Diesel (48 aprox. HP at 1800 RPM) Depending on year of mfg either transmission could be in machine 1 or 2 reverse gears. 
 Frozen track links might free up by moving machine or using a large shock to pin and bushing area / be it with track on or off machine. Coke seeing you have an HD5G, how do you find the power of the 2-71? Does the HD5G have a torque converter? I've had and still have several Detroit powered machines and trucks but never a 2-71, the smallest for me is a 3-71. Would you be running "55" injectors or bigger? What's the 2-71 like on fuel consumption? 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 11:35pm
The 2-71 is a dry clutch unit with a single disc - over center clutch . 
A 2-71 will drag down in power fast so to operate one has to vary the load by using the hydraulics to tweak the blade or bucket to the work your doing . 
 Engine is run at full governed speed - Pull throttle full on and use master-clutch and steering to preform the work needed. 
 HV7 injectors used in all the 2-71 engines I have done .
I had a 3-71 in a 4x4 Pettybone loader and believe that used 55 injectors in it - that also had a torque converter and clutch and foot throttle
 The HD5G power was as good or better than the HD4 with the AC 2200 engine - and ran a lot cheaper in fuel use than the smaller machine. 
 The HD5B I had with the 9' blade was way under-powered for that size blade . Worked for finish dozing or moving loose material but the HD5G with smaller bucket could push material faster and seemed larger volume.
 I dug a lot of basements with the HD5G - doing push-outs for walk-out basements and did a lot of back-fill work as well as loading truck with my 5G.  
 When I got the New Holland Skid Steer and the AC 715-TLB and started doing more sewer work the 5G was mostly used here to load truck from my pit when other machines were on job-sites.
 The track and the full rear housing on a HD5 was  also used on the HD6 - which used a Buda or AC engine through it's life cycle. A lot of HD5 machines were re-powered with a 3-71 for AG work .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 11:52pm
Thanks.......that gives good insight on both the 2-71 and the HD5G. I would've so enjoyed watching you push out a basement with that machine. On a 'good job' with a bulldozer you feel so much more part of the action than using a backhoe or excavator. 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 11:23am
I sub-contracted with another contractor doing older houses where when house was jacked up and put on cribbing I would use the HD5G to dig under house to put new basement or foundation under building. The 5 was low enough to work in confined space and could dig more than a skid loader in hard ground while pushing out material for him to remove with excavator or his 951B.
Digging ponding areas, driveway building, cut and fill jobs were all work i have done over the 40 years I have owned my HD5 
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 3:40pm
Coke, all of this HD5G talk has me fired up to get to re-storing mine. So far all I have done with it is to get it home and un-loaded. Darrel
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 12:24pm
My Dad had a hd5 shovel for years, did EVERYTHING with it. I know where it is, about ten miles from me, hasn't moved in years, I'd love to get it back and working again, too many projects...Trev.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by TREVMAN TREVMAN wrote:

My Dad had a hd5 shovel for years, did EVERYTHING with it. I know where it is, about ten miles from me, hasn't moved in years, I'd love to get it back and working again, too many projects...Trev.

Too many projects? Boy, I can relate to that! Darrel
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 11:01am
I looked at several machines way back and did some research and everyone said you needed to buy a CAT machine . This was in 1973- well my budget said NO to CAT and no one said much on the AC machines - as there were not a lot of them around. 
 I ended up finding the HD5G about 2 miles from my place and bought it for $3,200 - then drove it home down about 1 mile of gravel road and across a few fields out behind neighbors land and mine. 
 On the way I stopped and backfilled a neighbors basement foundation - so that was my first job with it. From there i drove it the next 1/2 mile home to do my own projects. Then a couple things for the close by neighbors, then needed a larger dump truck and a trailer and - next thing I know I have a small on call excavating business going in the evenings and weekend. 
 A few years later I did buy a CAT - D6-9U - a money pit for the 4 or so years I owned that machine. (should have bought a HD6) . Traded that D6 off on a HD4 with a loader and a 615AC back-hoe. That changed the business into a septic business along with the excavating I had been doing for several years. 
 The HD5G had several friends also over the years in other HD5 machines including a HD5B with a 9ft blade.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic