This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This might be a dumb ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firephight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This might be a dumb ?
    Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 8:00pm
ok so why do people look for the gleaner E engine to put in a wd wd-45 tractor for pulling? why not just put a d-17 engine in? tractordata .com shows a d-17 has the same bore and stroke as a wd-45 but what gives it the 7.25:1 compresion? Is the head made diffrently? why not just put a d-17 head on a wd-45 block ? I understand they are built a little stronger(d-17 engine) but what makes the gleaner E engine better than the d-17
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 8:03pm
Nothing really, unless it is a later model E-3 Gleaner which has even higher (8.0 to 1) compression. Those old combines have often been parked/abandoned and aren't in use anymore. Most any D17 that has a good running engine is still in use. It's that simple.
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 8:18pm
I've asked the same question and really haven't gotten a good answer.  I wonder if some guys aren't running a WC or WD and tossing in the Gleaner engine as a cheap pony upgrade.  For getting into internals, the WD block can hold everything the Gleaner engine can (I'm assuming a bit there).  The only thing you'd for sure gain is the full pressure lube.
AaronSEIA
firephight View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firephight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 8:27pm
ok so if they are all have the same bore x stroke(226) what gives them all diffrent compresion ratios? what are the casting # to look for in the gleaner E head? I live close to a AC junk yard I guess I need to be on the look out for some heads
YT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 8:42pm
nothing to do with head,just had different  pistons  for more compression resulting to more HP
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 8:29am
There was a time you could buy a cheap Gleaner engine because so many were being scrapped out. Most of these engines didn't have the hours on them that a tractor of the same era would, so you could just bolt them in and go.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 9:18am
They dont have many hours on them but the conditions they run in are severe, dust, full rpm, etc. A low houred, WELL MAINTAINED one would be sweet, but hard to find in my neck of the woods.  The engine block would have the "Z" code at the end of the serial# if it is the late modle EIII I think. Someone correct me if I am wrong.  
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
firephight View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firephight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 5:01pm
I have located a Gleaner E engine and a D-17 engine guess i need to find some block # to look and see if the Gleaner block is one that i should maybe keep my eye on for a donor for my WD-45. any one havwe the block # so i can check it out.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 5:48pm
Either one will bolt in. The Gleaner probably needs a tractor governor to operate right.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 7:16am
The combine will require a governor modification, installing the linkage arm, it isnt a big deal. Way easier than front cover swap.

Just look at the Serial number on the block, After the numbers there will be a letter, I know there is an "m", and a "Z". I have been told the "Z" is the higher compression engine. The carb an that engine works well too. A little modification is required but well worth it.
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic