This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD11ep No forward?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMDupre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD11ep No forward?
    Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 2:04pm

I have an HD11ep that sat for over 10 years at the farm. Got it running again with a set of new batteries. After clearing about 15 acres over a course of time it became more and more difficult to get the dozer to lock into gear even after warming up. It would make the initial shift but be very weak and unable to move. Revving and shifting in and out of gear would eventually get both forward and reverse working properly. Eventually one day i was unable to get forward one or two. I did a complete fluid and filter change hoping to correct the problem. The dozer now functions perfectly in reverse with no fighting it however i am still unable to get forward other than the initial small surge when placed in gear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Edited by JMDupre - 11 Jan 2013 at 2:05pm
Sponsored Links

JMDupre View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMDupre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 2:21pm

I do not believe the transmission is out because It feels exactly how it did before when I was able to fight it into working. Hoping for another relatively simple fix I pulled off the shift linkage cover and floor pan. From what I can see there are two main Hydraulic lines and two going to each side of the transmission. I’m assuming that it is a main Supply and Return however I do not know how the four lines coming out directly affect the transmission. Today I found that at least one of these lines has a very small leak (fluid slowly appears on the top of the line).  It runs to the opposing side of the transmission. Possibly the problem?  I just don’t want to dump more and more money into the equipment not knowing where I’m going. I have thousands invested already with parts, transportation, and fuel so I don’t mind buying parts just don’t want to waste.

P.S. – The unit appears to have mostly original hydraulic lines on it except the ones I’ve had to replace as they blew.  

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 3:41pm
Did you check your transmission streaner he could be plug and transmission is missing oil
JMDupre View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMDupre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 3:43pm
I though i changed and cleaned everything but i may have missed it where is it located?
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 4:38pm
The hoses going from the shift lever to transmission are the transmission clutch pressure lines.  If you are looking at the transmission from the front, the forward clutches are on the left, and the reverse clutches are on the right.  (Catch here- later models only, early models are the opposite, around 11500 serial number if I recall- this has been brought up on earlier threads.)
Oil flows from strainer (in bottom front of transmission case), through transmission pump (on rear top of torque converter), through trans. filter, relief valve, speed control valve (shifter) to transmission clutches.
Basically, you've got one of two problems:
1) pressure loss or low pressure (broken relief valve spring, debris stuck in relief valve, poor pump, etc)
2) Worn transmission clutches
Obviously, you don't have complete pressure loss, machine still operates in reverse.  Next step, hook up pressure gauge at forward clutches and read pressure.
Remember that your main pressure gauge reads the pressure at the filter, you don't know anything about the pressure at the transmission without hooking up your own gauge.
Sometimes if the strainer is plugged or there is debris in the system, the machine will work again if you idle right down or shut it off, then start it again. (momentary back flush)
This is my own opinion, rule of thumb with transmission problems:
-problem gets better as oil warms up- worn clutches
-problem gets worse as oil warms up- low pressure
My 2 cents...

Steve allis dozer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 4:38pm
if you remove the transmission belly plate drain the oil then remove the bottom plate off the trans there is a suction screen in there , also something you could look at is at the front of the transmission  where there is two hoses on each side there is plugs that can be removed  and check pressures with a hydraulic gauge , the manual states, these pressures should be checked at the same time on each clutch shaft to detect leakage within clutch packs or around shaft sealing rings.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 4:53pm
I use John Deere Hy-Gard transmission oil in our Allis.  Regular grade- the viscosity is 10W30.  Book calls for 10W oil, or ATF in cold weather.  I know some won't agree with me, but I shy away from ATF- too light in my opinion for these old worn out transmissions. Or, look for an engine oil approved for operation in Allison transmissions (not all are), 10W30 grade.  Shell has a neat website called LubeMatch, where they recommend oils for all kinds of machines.  Under 11-B they recommend their T1 30W engine oil for powershift transmission.
I guess that's another 2 cents..
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 4:56pm
My uncle has a D6, and he just pours 15W40 down every hole on that thing except the radiator!  Simplicity has it's benefits.
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:06pm
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 5:08pm
JMDupre View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMDupre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 9:54am

Thanks for the information everyone. I will start checking today. I am running 303 Hydraulic fluid in the transmission and final, SAE 30 in the motor, and whatever was in it 30 years ago in the rest. I asked around and assured by CAT it would work fine. If I need to drain out the 303 let me know and tank every one for the advice so far. I will keep posting till its fixed.

HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 1:49am
possible broken seal rings in the oil collectors, pressure check should identify this.
Esp since rev is ok
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 7:39am
The seal rings are most likely the same style as the clutch release seal rings in my 7G, a nylon quad ring.  Mine had worn from sliding friction and had degraded to where they would not hold air pressure, I could hear it blow thru into the clutch housings when checking for leakby when my tractor quit steering.  These are also a hydraulic supply style of ring so a hydraulics shop may be able to come close for a replacement if no one else has in stock.  The biggest failure to locate for me is the shift shaft seals for the clutch packs in the external support housings, no longer made and harden over time.  I am fairly certain these are self-destructing in my little tractor but I am afraid to tear into those should I not be able to obtain a suitable replacment.  My hydraulics supplier said he 'might' be able to come up with something to replace them, might not.
JMDupre View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMDupre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 11:47am
Ok, I have gauges on the main system and the forward clutch. I am only reading 200psi main and 100psi on the clutch when I put it in forward at high idle. Any Ideas?
JMDupre View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMDupre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 11:52am
Like I said I changed all the filters and fluids on the tractor and have 303 in everything but the cooling system and motor oil. I did not drop the belly pan so the trans screen could easily be stopped up just dont wanna run around in circles.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 9:36pm
I would check the reverse pressure and compare.
JMDupre View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMDupre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 10:37am
I did find a leak at the main filter I gotta tighten up so ill tighten it up and get another set of gauges and hook it and the TC up this evening and see what everything says then post it. If I have the time ill go ahead and drop the belly pan too.  
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 12:38pm
Cleaning all suction screens (trans and steer clutch compartment) is the number one priority whenever you service powershift or wet steer clutch AC crawlers. Thats not running round in circles, its the compulsory first step on your tractor

Edited by Mactractor - 23 Jan 2013 at 12:45pm
JMDupre View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMDupre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 4:49pm
Ok dropped a skid plate and the trans pan, pulled and cleaned the trans screen. It was about 80% stopped up. Ill post when its back in (Most likely tomorrow). Gonna look for the the other screens too. Thanks for all the help so far.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 12:30am
Sounds like you probably found your problem, for your sake I hope so.  I'm sure you are getting tired of working on this problem, time to work on some other problem on the machine!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
JMDupre View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMDupre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 3:04pm
Well, Getting tired of working on it for sure but I gotta get it up and running or replace it soon. Screen is back in and still low forward clutch pressure. Guessing I need to:
Either
A) Put gauges on Reverse Clutch and TC
B) Pull the relief valve
C) Pull the collector
D) Replace hoses
Everyone on here seems to know alot more than anyone I know so once again thank everyone for helping. I'm young and not a bad back yard mechanic but this is the first dozer ive ever had to work on and its the only one I have. With a little direction I'll keep going untill its fixed or deemed not worth fixing.   
hd16b View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd16b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 7:17pm
JM;give me a call at 252 916 2927 and I can walk you throug some more tests
JMDupre View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMDupre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 2:21pm

Forward pressure reading are 110psi Trans Clutch Apply and 40psi Trans Clutch Lube. Readings are the same but switch with both forward gears. I believe this tells me that there is leakage in the pack or shaft. Which Im assuming is my problem...

I base all this on the two pages from the Service Manual posted above...

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 3:33pm
Sounds just like my 7G, LoReverse does the same, either the shaft seals in the hydraulic collector are shot or the clutch pack seals/pack discs are shot.  I still have some of both forward and HiReverse so far, looking to buy a used trans to tear into to derive a replacement seal set for and to rebuild the clutches then use my pinion over in it.  Found one for $550 but I have to go get it.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 12:35am
for what its worth guys. The powershift clutch pack componetry was made for AC by the rockford clutch company. Which is part of borg warner. Whether any parts are obtainable through them i don,t know. But is another avenue to look at. Clutch pack componetry is same for IH too, also rockford clutch. As was told by a very knowlegeable source 11ep/B and TD15B/C clutchs are the same
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic