This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I tell which is the track master link?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warddc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I tell which is the track master link?
    Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 12:39pm
I have an H3.  How do I easily tell which is the master link?  I understand the master link has a shorter bushing but the is hard to see.
1962 H-3 Dozer
Sponsored Links

Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 12:44pm
master pin is usually longer than others and it should have an indent in the middle of end.
warddc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warddc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 4:36pm
does that mean that the master link will protrude from the track chain farther than the others? I doubt I will be able to see the dimple in the end of the link from the years of dirt and wear.
1962 H-3 Dozer
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by warddc warddc wrote:

I have an H3.  How do I easily tell which is the master link?  I understand the master link has a shorter bushing but the is hard to see.

Look for hammer strike scars, too.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 7:13pm
A lot of times it will have a punch mark or a indent in the center of pin to tell it from other pins. It also might be slightly longer and protrude from the link a small amount further on both sides than other pins. 
 Only other way is to remove the track and look close at bushings as the master link bushing is shorter than other bushings as it needs to fit between side links and has  a spacer washer and shims at end of bushing. You may be able to see this space  when looking close at links . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 7:44am
I paint the master link with fluoresent paint. You may need to find it when the chain is really dirty.
warddc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warddc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 7:03am
so what is the difference between a regular pin and a master pin?  what makes the master special?
1962 H-3 Dozer
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 7:34am
Different dimensions to start, slightly smaller diameter, some are tapered or designed to wedge as they come to full install depth and do not require the same pressure to remove.  Then there is the master bushing, it has no engagement ears or extension of the tube beyond the edge of the track links, the gap in the outer link ears is taken up with spacers and shims to compensate and to fill the voids.  This arrangement allows the links to separate without full removal of a side link member to remove the rail.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 7:36am
master pin is a couple thousanths smaller usually to facilitate removal without a track press to allow serivce on track components

Edited by CAL(KS) - 29 Dec 2012 at 7:38am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
warddc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warddc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 7:42am
ok.  got it.  thanks.
1962 H-3 Dozer
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 7:27pm
tyhe smaller master pis can be difficult to drive out, heating usually helps. When heating it works better if the heat is concentrated at one point at the very end of the track link otherwise the heat transfers to the pin also. When reassembling, put the master pin in the fridge overnight and take it out just before you are ready to drive it back in.  Good luck.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 8:28am
I have had luck when I could find dry ice to load the pins after sitting in a cooler with the ice for a short time.  Dry ice(CO2) is getting harder to get anymore.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic