This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis 45 Grader - does anyone know - - ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis 45 Grader - does anyone know - - ?
    Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 3:12pm
Our Allis 45 is rolling and has completed the fire breaks on our 20,000 acre ranch.  At grader hire saved, it has about paid for itself already.

Not that it's rehab is completed as yet - there is the transmission that falls out of second gear and the lack of rear brakes.  Something terrible happened there, as the LHS backing plate and shoes are missing and some of the attachment bolt holes in the bearing retainer are wrecked and the master cylinder is siezed up as well.  And I haven't found a dead grader for spares around here.

Inspection of a neighbour's early Cat 12 suggests the brakes might be the same - same 10 bolt attachment with similar spacing and similar drum diameter.  And he has a spare unit.  If they will fit then Cat parts will be more easily gettable around here

Any information will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 11:31am
Ian, I can't give you any exact information but many machines adopted parts like this from some other sources rather than build a proprietary component. It is possible that the brake parts are common to truck brakes. The question would be which truck?  
Jack of all trades, master of none
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 2:54pm
Don,

Thanks for the pointer.

Unfortunately my chances of exploring the truck side are about as limited as my finding a wreck close handy.

The drums are about 18 inches in diameter, which might be bigger than trucksize.

If they turn out to be the same then my guess is that someone like Bendix was producing a brake assembly of suitable size and used by both.  All signs so far that Allis used common industrial parts where they could - not a lot of "Allis specials" needed so far.  Latest explore has been in a tandem to fix a collapsed axle bearing.  Very handy that my local supplier has an old IBR bearing replacement catalogue which goes from Allis numbers to bearing manufacturer listing.  Including the replacement for the spherical roller for the outboard tandem bearing.

I guess the next move is to get a mounting bolt pattern from a front hub retainer (they are set up for optional 4-wheel brakes) and compare that with the Cat one before I think about pulling a wheel hub.

More when I know more.  Posted this at YT but no reply there yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic