This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Crater vs Flat Top

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 9:48am
I Like boobies also !! Even muddy boobies!! But once again some guys need to argue too much. ( gay) (creepy) just not cool . Need a pulling tractor naked girl calendar to all in check here
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
Sponsored Links

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 11:28am
Yeah if i was wi and fellow was showing up where i was i would be concerned. He difinately has a man crush on him. Reminds me of a redneck that thinks everyones insulting his girl.

Edited by mlpankey - 24 Nov 2012 at 11:37am
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 12:02pm
Don't think you can read well pank. My post was in favor of Wi50 also my intentions not aiming at Rod either. Just don't get why you intend on putting people down ?? Some of the stuff you say is good Pank but not consistent ! Lets face it readers or any followers are more acceptable to watching or learning from consistency than a one time winner. As fellow pullers sharing information is valuable to the young crowd. Where else will we find competion in near future? The moderator needs an apology! My calendar joke was to break the ice and talk about something else. Or we just need a cool pulling calendar and apply the funds to a good cause.
Done with this gonna read the classifieds need parts .
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 1:39pm
Wild bill when people but in on a conversation then sometimes it gets agitated into something that it really didnt start out as. As for consitant it may not be. You simply dont build all engines the same way. Sometimes you do a little work and the engine is a ovee overachiever sometimes a bear is a teard. You have to have a plan with no plan nothing changes and it is what it is. I posted part numbers and phone numbers on the valve size so rhat i put something on the site specific and not generic like some do.

Edited by mlpankey - 24 Nov 2012 at 1:41pm
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 2:00pm
Does anyone suppose if anyone else had posted the same information that I did, there would be such a problem?  I'd bet if I posted that I had flat top pistons in one, then we could hear about how it's more prone to detonation than some other combo.

For anyone who cares, the engine I'm working on for our super stock is a quench design also.  After 10 to 20 runs as the rods streach the piston tops are clean where they meet the head.  It's that tight of a quench.  It's a tad over 7 to 1 compression but with the boost pressure and figureing some for thermal inefficiency it's over 40 to 1 compression ratio.  With the fuel rate, there's right close to .2oz of fuel in the cylinder every time under full power.  505 cid and about 6hp per cid.

There's lots and lots of these engines running in grand national caliber tractors,  I've seen pistons pull the rings off if to tight, but none have ever eroded from quench.  Various chunks of clay, valvetrain parts, turbocharger parts cause problems, but the quench does not.  Our real enemy is timeing, and rod bolts and berrings. 

Maybe pankey should go down to GMS, Blackburn, Long Machine, etc and other shops that sell these parts weather it be IH, JD, Ford based engines, and tell them how to build their parts. 

"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2012 at 2:15pm
Quench is a subject of debate in engine shops as much as rod length is the for anyone who is in the know or just hangs out in a speed shop.the problem with the site is you cant debate for children and feelings. You can find debates on quench and its problems on any automotive forum or two cycle bike or hotsaw forum. Keyboard comandos rev yiur search engines

Edited by mlpankey - 24 Nov 2012 at 2:27pm
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

Feelpro gasket is. 045 straight off the shelf. Victor renz want hold the compression maybe rod should try again. Actually think its. 042 but whats .003 assuming the block has been decked and rod thermal growth has been acounted for. Rods calcs would bte off no more than. 010

A Fel Pro is .061" off the shelf and a victor is .063". Compressed Fel Pro is .052"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 8:47pm
I never had a felpro blue gasket that thick.started ordering .042 thick from clark based off felpro measurements.

Edited by mlpankey - 25 Nov 2012 at 8:53pm
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 8:56pm
This whole time you tried to argue about something you didn't know, or used inaccurate measurements. The gaskets have been that thick for as long as I have used them. 25+ years. Glad I could help once again.

Edited by Rod B - 25 Nov 2012 at 9:00pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

This whole time you tried to argue about something you didn't know. Glad I could help once again.
that your off on the thickness of a felpro gasket.by the way wi says your creeping him out being so interested in him.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 9:13pm
I may be off of someone elses measurents by .001" or .002", you're off by .020".   Go buy a gasket and see for yourself.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 5:33am
Rod what is the squish velocity of Marty's engine utilizing the M&W pistons 10 thousandths above the deck?
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 6:49pm
Without knowing other factors neither you or I can calculate that.

Do not worry about his squish velocity, work on your measureing skills or at least tell the forum you lied or made an honest mistake.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 7:23pm
They must have changed the gasket thickness .its been a few years since i purchased a felpro. Still have that one hanging in garage. I figured with your intimate knowledge of wi s builds you would know the factors to calculate maximum squish velockty to see if its in a destructive or hindering turbulant velocity. Most usually know that a wider squish band is better on low rpm applications and that narrow squish bands well usually work better at 12000trpm but bike manufacturers spend alot on r @d cause it can get detrimental as well.
bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 8:38pm
has anyone  else lost track of the originall conversation? i am so confused by all this back and forth bickering. i would have to assume that the guy building his motor for pulling should know what his tolerances and thickness's are. i would also come to conclude that if you are going to build a fairly peppy motor such as a pulling motor that you probably should not be some complete idiot and not know what you are doing.
bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

well fall over Rod agrees with me on this about compression .  no advantage from piston top design . if you run the compression ratio change for the percentage of increase in compression you see that  larger bore change ups comp. ratio  or cr being increased by piston compression height change is the real numerical measured increase in power

you right off that bat pank are wrong. you said that rod and you agree but in reality you do not agree. he said that you see an increase due to the change in piston design. you said and i quote "no advantage from piston top design."

also the original question was asking about if you get more compression from power crater versus flat top. you took it upon your self to redesign his whole damn motor.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2012 at 4:36am
Power crater pistons have more crevice volume making them ineffecient and flames are seen out the exhaust from the trapped unburned fuel. What I agreed with rod on his power comes from the compression increase and not squish . What i posted in another post to keep from getting to far from topic is that the squish from a m@w piston has no kinetic energy and once the secondary squish pressure wave  happens its done cause it has no kinetic energy to keep charge turbulent through the complete combustion cycle. 
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)
  Quote&amp;amp;amp;amp;nbsp;Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 2:32pm
It comes from the compression increase when people install the flat top pistons for a 4" stroke in an engine with 4 1/2" stroke.

Piston design can help with a power increase but in this case it's from the increase in compression.  The pistons are down in the bore to far from the head to have the piston top make the change.  M&W used a vane in the piston head to help cause turbulance during compression stroke, probably the best designed piston.

Most of the aftermarket kits I have seen use a large concave dish in the piston and vary the compression for the engine by wrist pin placement                                  What I and Rob agreed on is the power increase comes from the compression increase and not squish

Edited by mlpankey - 30 Nov 2012 at 6:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic