This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6G Fustration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6G Fustration
    Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 8:06pm
Fellas,
 It's been dry around here so I thought it would be a good time to dig the pond I have wanted to get done. It's just a low bog area with a hard bottom down about 4 to 5 feet.
Things started out well. Made a shallow ramp and started digging. I can not believe how little I can do with this machine. With any load in the bucket it just stands on it's nose when backing out. My dozer has 13" grousers on it not triple bars. It gets stuck really EZ. Didn't they use these to dig basements? Must have been a really slow process. It'll spin both tracks for a bit, power doesn't seem to be the problem. Maybe I'm just asking to much out of the oldgirl. I now the engine is a little tired but certainly thought it could handle this job.
How impressive were HD6G's when they new?

Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 11:05pm
It's in learning to work the machine, you can not back out of hole with a full bucket , push the material out , not carry it. 
 My HD5G is the same and I have dug basements, dug holes for septic tanks, tore out concrete slabs, dug footings. and many other jobs. I have dug basements under houses where house was jacked up on cribbing , friends 951 was to high to get under so i used the 5 to push dirt out to him to carry and load . Back down into area then dig to ramp , push dirt forward and up ramp and then to side. 
 I tore down house next door after a fire , First I dug a hole that was 20 ft wide and 40 ft long and about 10 ft deep.I pushed the first 4 ft of dirt up on one side , then the next 6 ft of dept was piled at one end, so pile was about 20 ft high. Last part was even hard to climb as it amounted to climbing a 30 ft hill with high angle.
 It takes a while to learn all the tricks of using a machine , the first year or so you run one it is one mistake after another . One guy said he was a expert and was going to show me how to dig sand out of hole , dug down spun machine in hole and ran up ramp, on his 3 rd time the machine sunk into sand from turning and ended up hung up on belly with the tracks spinning - all of a sudden he remembered he had to meet someone somewhere .. So getting it out of hole became my problem.  
 Push don't carry as you can adjust load to just below track slippage and move a lot of material , you can only carry a 1 1/2 yard bucket out but push 3 yards or so. 
  I did another job for a guy that had a low spot in between to hills , it had a runoff area and he said he wanted a little pond there , so built berm across one end and extended it to hills and dug a lower area for the fill , ended up going down about 10 ft and widening the full area for pond out to 50 ft or more , berm was 25 ft high above the native soil area and 150ft long . also hauled out about 150 yards of black dirt that i loaded into my truck. 
 Day we finished I told my helper to make sure HD5 was on top of hill. Rained that night and heavy downpour , full excavation filled with water to point it was running over berm. 

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 22 Sep 2012 at 11:12pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Jay Tyrrell View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 12:19pm
Wow Coke!
You want my address and come help?
I'll have to do some messing around again and try your advice. Scooping and backing started out so well.
I'll see if I can't post some pictures.

Thanks
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 1:36pm
Like any job you try it one way and then you learn from your mustrakes (mistakes) . If it doesn't work try it a different way until you find what works for you. 
 I bought a old Pettybone 4WD 2yd straight frame loader for a guy and part of the deal was I move a couple piles of dirt for him . He had been working on them for a while and was having problem he said as they were hard solid lumps. 
 I took the machine up to his place and in a hour or so had the piles gone and spread. He had went straight into piles trying to scoop into hard dirt. I just cut edge of pile while pushing forward. Shave a little off on each pass, all the while keeping machine moving. When he came back to job site I was just finishing pile out in front as had already move larger pile in rear of house. He was amazed I had almost finished the front and told me of the other one , when I told him it was gone he did not believe me at first, until he looked . 
 It's all in doing and trying different ways to accomplish the job. Same with dozer blade you can move a small amount at a time faster than large bite at once. With the HD5G bucket I could move more material faster than I could with a HD5B dozer. 
 Now with the FD5 dozer it is different all the way around as with 6 way blade and 22 more HP it just moves material easily. 
 With the AC 715B TLB and loading it is faster than the HD4 or the HD5 and in fact when I bought it i sold both the Pettibone and the HD4. The 715B would push more material than the HD4 would and almost as much as the HD5
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 3:21pm
you said that the tracks do not have the 3 bars. does it have dozer tracks with the single bar? be careful as the dozer tracks put alot of strain on the undercarriage as they are not designed to turn as much as a loader does. we would definately like to see some pics. i agree with coke, push instead of carry. also, slot dozing where you use dirt to keep the side dirt from spilling out moves alot more dirt than just an open blade. good luck and do not give up on the old girl. they redug the basement of the whitehouse so they can dig.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 7:10pm
I don't twist and turn to hard, especialy with a a load on.
The tracks are off a dozer (shorter) and a few triple bars splised in.
What do you expect for a $1,000
Did the HD6G's have alot of power when new. Should i be able the spin both tracks on a straight push in first gear? Mine will spin for a bit then lug down.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 7:12pm
Coke,
I'll try some different approaches and see what happens.
Need to get some more fuel!
Do the 6's burn 4 to 5 gallons a hour?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 7:52pm

Some pictures of the old girl.
First picture: Found her in a gravel pit south of Hibbing Minn. 1 1/2 years later, doing some work done by the river thaks to this forum and alot of good advise.
I'll try to get action shot tomorow and let you now how the pond is going
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 9:15pm
Running full power it sounds about right on fuel. 
Remember if working by lake or stream not to touch the water . Also watch no one looks to close the stupid thing of silt fence around area to prevent runoff is another big pain. 
 Are single grouser - dozer track so be careful on the sharp turns or spinning a 180 .
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 9:15am
my dads 6g when it was about 10  years old when the dirt business slowed he did dimolition it took 2 story brick building with it.
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 12:06pm
Looks like your short on counter-weight.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 4:22pm
if it is spinning, it is losing traction. if it is lugging, you have traction. sounds like once you get some weight in the bucket, it starts to get traction. you should have at least one counterweight to help with balance, 2 may give you the added traction all the time and help when backing out of cut if you need to.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 8:22pm
It has 8,000 hrs. on it. Don't now the history at all? I do now the guy that owned it before shouldn't have been allowed to own tools.
Takes either to start it. I was wondering if I was just low on power. I don't know how much lug the 344 is supossed to have?

Edited by Jay Tyrrell - 24 Sep 2012 at 8:24pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 6:45pm
if you can get a full bucket without stall, you are good. keep running irt as it may get better with some hours on it. also, be sure you have good fuel, fuel filters and clean air filter. they were never powerhouses, especially the early ones but they would hold their own.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 8:14pm
Good to know.
It's a 1956.
I have changed fuel filters, oil filter, and went threw the air cleaner as well.
Were oil bath air filters good? Seems like air would be hard to pull threw oil.
I put 10w30 in mine. (all i had at the time)

Edited by Jay Tyrrell - 25 Sep 2012 at 8:16pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 8:57pm
Oil bath are highly efficient units but require cleaning rather than replacing, Oil is sucked up into media and air passes over the media and oil film and drains back to cup, new oil is constantly drawn up into media and washes the media clean . On many of the units i have serviced the cup is solid dirt and no oil left as operators seem to forget to service them . 
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 6:43am
By media, do you mean the screen or mesh up inside the air cleaner?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 7:48am
Media is like a horsehair or like a brillo scrub pad, a loose packed material that oil will coat but allow the oil to drain back to cup as it collects and then return, carrying the small dirt and dust particles with the returning oil.
 Where a paper or pleated material (like modern air filters) increases filtration as it collects enough material to plug , the Oil Bath is a full efficiency as soon as engine is running. It is self cleaning as long as proper oil level is maintained  and cup is cleaned regularly  to remove dirt. With a pre-cleaner element to remove large particles it's efficiency is even higher. 
dav68camaro View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dav68camaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 10:07pm
Keep at it as I bought my first crawler a hd6g and have been learning to let it work for me all summer.  It is amazing how much work you can do at half throttle if you don't take to big a bite or get in a hurry.  Now I just need to get my track back on as I threw a track last weekend while leveling my new drive I am building with it.  Anyone have any good pictures of the hydraulic track adjusters used on later hd6g as mine do not seem to retract very far before the adjuster hits the cross brace.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 4:12pm
is your track off as bad as this? mine is an hd5 with screw adjusters. i had once where the pins that keep the shims that the idler rides on wore and came down far enough to not allow more adjustment but have not had your issue. good luck.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 7:52pm
I hopefully will have some time this weekend to give digging the pond a shot again. Perhaps running a skidloader for years has spoiled me. Smaller bits a slow down, got it. If I have succuess I'll try get some pictures.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 10:50pm
Hate when that hapens but it seems that is part of having a old machine or saying I will adjust the track next time . Seems every machine I have had I walked out of a track at one time or another . After whle you just get use to putting it back on be it with come-along, tanker bar, or lot of tools. 
 Keeping up o nthe adjustments helps but also watching the load on the tracks, to try not to get into position where you do walk out of it or catch it so you can sometimes revers and get it back on . 
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 8:55pm
KEEP IN MIND THIS IS 60 YEAR OLD TECHNOLOGY. MY DAD HAD AN HD5, LESS POWER THAN YOU GOT, DUG BASEMENTS, LOADED GRAVEL, DID SEPTICS, PUSHED BUSH ETC. JUST SLOWER THAN THE NEW STUFF. BUT I HIGHLY DOUBT THERE WILL BE MACHINES SOLD TODAY STILL OPERATING 50 OR 60 YEARS FROM NOW, TREV. P.S. I KNOW WHERE MY DADS HD5 IS AND ONE OF THESE DAYS IM GONNA BUY IT...
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 8:36am
Fuel was my isseu. Once I got some good stuff in it the old girl perked right up. Did some work last night at only 2/3's throttle. Still having trouble digging the pond. I'll try to gets pics, Got to dark last night.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic