This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Really frustrating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Really frustrating
    Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 7:39pm
I ordered my 6850861 pump repair kit from dieselenginepro.com out of Beloit in August, should have been here while I was on vacation but did not show so I called them last week.  The subcontract supplier was to have it in 10 working days from order so they called them, lead time went to 25 working days so it should have arrived yesterday but still no good.  Called them back today, they checked supplier, still not good as "they received bad castings" and lead time went to indeterminate so I think I am being stalled to a not going to get it level.  Have paid for it, they have the funds and still nothing so I grow a little impatient but will wait a few more days time to see what transpires next.  Took the old unit apart, absolutely shot, over .060 clearances most everywhere, some in excess of .100, gooves are really bad on the gear ends and no way to reassemble as no kits for seals anymore.

More frustrating than many things I have tried to do.
Sponsored Links

orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 10:20am
Dave: not much I can say other than I know how it feels to be put off and put off again during parts searches.  Is there a possibility that one could retrofit using a similar pump and some machining work to adapt things?  
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 3:34pm
I am already working in that direction but have also paid for this pump in front, non-refundable, so would be money down a drain to let it go.  Am trying to locate a usable set up for an interim so I can at least use the machine.
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 3:53pm
can you post a pic of the pump? i have lots of pumps and i need an idea what it looks like and what it is for, i do not remember from previous posts.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 4:35pm
Guys: Maybe if all of get behind this we could solve this pump dilemma.  I am beginning to think about hydraulic houses near airports may have a solution.  DMiller can you dredge up the original thread with the pump number, if memory serves it was a Barnes Unit? 

I am thinking if we can solve this it would help other AC HD7 guys in the future.    
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 6:06pm
p/n is a 70643630, JS Barnes pump.  The issue is obsolescence, and the manufacturer that took over Barnes did not continue the line as too specialized and too sensitive a pump to outside influences to tear it up.  Pump fits comfortably in a plastic Folgers coffee can.

Edited by DMiller - 22 Sep 2012 at 6:10pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 6:08pm
I have written Hector to see if he still has the 7099511 pump and if it is functional as mine isn't, I may get by with it until I come up with a more permanent fix.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 6:34pm
Ordered with a credit card I hope , if so talk to them ans they might be able to do something . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 4:49am
Hi Orin, yes paid on CC but over a month ago now, already called and as payment made and accepted on a bill too late save for a warranty or failure to produce a product and with quotes to get it to me they will not refund until excessive time is arrived.  Spoke with the parts counterman, he said if cancel now they would refund except a 15% fee so I am leaving it set a little longer, one can hope it does come and function, he also stated the supplier cancels and I get full refund. 
Biggest issue as to install of something else is region of the machine it sits, cramped, hard to work in, under the injector pump and little room to spare for size change, I do not wish to get something I cannot make work then not be able to sell for what is in it and go to another then another, experimentation here is and will be expensive.

Too much pump can be as bad as too little, heat up oil, damage reliefs, damage actuators or components, and they are not any more available than the pumps, have to be reasonably cautious.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 7:20am
DMiller:  I will check with some of the hydraulic houses near airports in my area.  Have had very good luck with them working on vintage Vickers pumps used in some backhoe applications.  
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 10:15pm
may be a shot in the dark but worth a try

i was reading your earlier post,  for $1800 i would think you could have some kind of custom pump/setup

dont stop looking, I had all but given up trying to find rod and main bearigns for my 16000 engine 2 years ago,  but was able to snag some NOS bearings from Puerto Rico, and Louisiana just in the last couple weeks

good luck

Edited by CAL(KS) - 23 Sep 2012 at 10:26pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 4:18pm
Well to make feel ever so much worse for buying the old girl, found more paperwork from the previous owner, email chases for "not steering" dating back to '04/'05, pump must have been shooting craps for some time, he had just dealt with it, and while the little pumps were still available.

Still no word from the supplier, maybe next week will know if will be getting it.

I did dig into the little pump further, seems a quarter to a third of the needles in the shaft bearings are gone, in each of the bearings there are a few of the needles missing, possible for a path for diversion flow of fluid.  Shafts show considerable wear at the bearing locations, had even begun to wear at the bearing cages edges.  Bearings/shafts are also a non-stock item and have a lead time to make them.  This wear is probably why there is so much clearance from contact in the pump housings.

Edited by DMiller - 28 Sep 2012 at 4:23pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 6:15pm
On a New Holland pump for my 785 Skid Steer it was a Cesna pump and only NH which wanted $1300 for the pump . I found through hyd shop they could get same pump for $600 but shaft was wrong , easy choice order that pump and use old shaft pressed into new pump for $100 , same as relief valves were $200 each through NH but found same valve used for other application for $75 each . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 8:59am
so this is the power steering pump? if so, do you need it to be absolutely original? power system requirements for steering are not critical, so there's no reason why one couldn't adapt a different pump... and I know a forum member or two that can do it...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 2:53pm
I am already looking that route, have a blank piece of stock for the head piece just have to get a small enough/big enough pump to do the job and awaiting Monday to get with my hydraulics supplier to acquire a pump if the designed to fit system does not show.  The main issues being dimensions for install(piss poor location for re-routing anything), common suction to two deliveries, then the 2.3-4gpm at around 500 psig at 1200 rpm and the rotation direction.  Pumps are available but the many drawbacks as to conversion loom heavy in the fore front.  Too much pump and it will overheat the oil cycling it too fast through the system, too little and it will die just as this one.

There are a lot of pumps out there, just all too many won't or cannot work to all the above specs, even considered scavenging a bleed oil supply off the main hydraulics pump for the trans and eliminating the hydraulic brake assist.  It is a work in progress, just will not let expense take over to over spend the project, can't afford to throw a lot of money at it with no results, pumps have gone up with metals and labor prices to a scary level.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 9:28am
Have received quite a few help messages with one in particular from a Barnes/Haldex rep.  He is working with Barnes/Haldex to see if they have anything that can be modded to install here.  The company is being very helpful, their one drawback is when Allis went away so too the design criteria/drawings/specs for these pumps, they want to work with me to come up with a reasonable replacement.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 7:09pm
Haldex finally gave in, they do no longer build a pump of such low volume to pressure, lowest rate they could offer was 15gpm at 1200rpm at 1800psi, I am seriously afraid to install that on the tractor, especially at the $2780 price tag for a tandem pump.  Dimensionally it probably would install but is over 14" in length without the adaptor coupling head.

Had a used 70099511 lined up from Hector when a new one offer appeared in my email, it will be here monday next week.  Not sure if it will have enough to operate the tractor but I am hopeful it will do the work I need to get done.  It is from DES out of Beloit, made up from new old stock parts from none other than Minnpar (they are a Minnpar distributor), seems they had these for some time just had to assemble.  Will know how or if it works come Tuesday.  I have kept a open order in for the CNH pump kit thru them but they are not sure they will ever see one again.
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 7:14pm
Dave - been watching this story unfold...hope it works out and keep us posted!  Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 9:34pm
I'll have to admit here, that I've been working with hydraulic systems for a long time... not only re-engineering others, but engineering my own, and I've never seen anything cut loose on the PRODUCTION world (meaning, not military aircraft, naval, or space) that was so finicky that a special pump was the only solution.

This Barnes pump doesn't have a typical SAE 2 or 4-bolt face, but making an adapter that would couple to an SAE A 2- or 4-bolt would be nothing more than a piece of 1/2" thick plate cut, drilled, and tapped to fit both the existing hole, and studded to accept the SAE flange... It may require the faces to be made separately, with spacers to an offset distance sufficient for an adapter coupling.

Getting the proper upper pressure limit is easily defined by a pressure relief valve... but on hydraulic steering, the valve typically runs open-center, so with no steering input, the fluid flow going out of the pump runs back to the reservoir. This is effectively an unloader, the result is no pressure, but unimpeded flow. With no pressure, the only impedance to flow, is that which is imposed by restriction in the plumbing... and if properly sized and fitted, will be negligable, hence, the temperature rise will be limited to whatever friction the pump generates.

At full stall, the pump's pressure is determined by whatever the system's emergency relief is set to... and this is irrelevant to input RPM, provided the pump is actually turning, and not internally leaking so bad that the entirety of it's displacement is able to pass around the pump elements as leakage.

This Barnes pump has two outputs. That suggests to me that it either has two separate pumping sections (which would be indicated by a spacer plate in the middle of the pump body) or it has either a PRIORITY valve feature, or a flow-divider to split the pump's output between steering and brake circuits. A duplex pump would do the same as the latter, while the former would simply assure that in the event of demand in excess of the pump's output, that the system coupled to PRIORITY would get ALL the flow. I'm betting it's a duplex pump.

If I were in this situation, I would simply make the adapter, and find a pump of proper displacement:

4gpm @ 1200rpm = 924 ci/minute = 0.77ci/revolution.

Here's a bunch that're so inexpensive, that they'd even be worth a sacrificial attempt:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=hydraulic&keyword=HPSR

And they have 'em in CCW too...

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=hydraulic&keyword=HPSL

And they're in a variety of shaft types, so pick the coupling arrangement that makes the most sense. it LOOKS like your pump uses the square-drive concept similar to that used on electrohydraulic pump/tank units... not a setup I'd choose for a continuous-duty system... but the tang-adapter gadget looks like it's intended to couple to something like a notched-disk setup common to say... a magneto drive. I wouldn't choose that either, but making a coupler that'd hook up to say... a 5/8 splined hydraulic pump shaft is easy... just get a splined coupler, turn one end true, then mill a notch across it same width as the tabs on the other disk... cut a piece of plate, press it into the notches, weld it, then turn it (slowly) in a lathe to make it spin concentric... and cut back any center relief, and of course tab depth, to make it properly engage the other end.

Getting the right combination of surplus parts means the least amount of modification is necessary. In the case of your pump, it was a wierd setup, just means some creativity is in order.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 2:24am
Do know of one case in NZ where they made up a triple section oil pump for a HD6E using 3 aluminium pumps and made up a drive adapter plate at the front. So yes it can be done.
Front 2 pumps were steering,  same as a 7G, and 3rd for master clutch.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 8:00am
Thanks for the input Dave, and yours too Merv, I have been all over this with emails, phone calls and the like.  Merv is well aware of the complex setup these little pumps were arranged for, they had "internal slippage" engineered in as put by the Barnes Haldex rep, they are engine driven so the brakes/clutches were live as soon as engine start to preclude the ramp up of the transmission systems.  Odd set up, cat is somewhat similar but works to a totally different drummer and a whole different set of parameters.

The cost of conversion is what I came up with earlier, too much oil too fast and you overheat the oil, the coolers for these are not as robust as the cat systems, sorry to say.  There is also a tender brake system, the problem that started much of this for me where the band style won't take the severity of higher volume/pressure without self destructing, I really do not wish to pull clutches too often!

I have researched this to death, I have a setup coming, I have some information established with the manufacturer to see if they can come up with a viable, instock option for all us users of these older machines.  I forgot to add, I was incorrect it is CW rot. per Barnes.

Dave, this is a exploded view of our little monster, the other issue on my 7G is dimensions, this pump is 6.8" in length and 3" widest point of square, the drive flange is 2.875" across with a 5/16" square drive direct off engine timing gears.

Edited by DMiller - 13 Oct 2012 at 9:28am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 8:27am
These are a few size orienting photos:  I have about 2 or 3" of room to deal with long and 0" for diameter.

HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 2:49pm
We are thinking of you dave. The installation of those pumps is in a hideous location. definetly a weak moment in ACs engineering dept.
Did some digging this morning, found info about this one here that was adapted using commercial hydraulics gear pumps, i think.
anyway pump details used was; there own adapter, then this arrangement of pumps. you don,t need last one as it was for master clutch on HD6E.
A2D13/I2DS13/P1D9.
Hopefully might be of some help. Also you know wetback end HD11s used the same pump s/n10000 to 12200. E/EP/EC models Things changed after that, but mac will know.
This is a open centre circuit, pumps are only 'working' when lever or pedal is actuated, rest of the time they are only circulating and they just dump into the bevel gear case, although 6E returns to lube gearbox. So i don,t think a slightly higher flow will upset anything. certainly won,t cause any heat problems compared to the heat generation from the converter or the brakes themselves. 2 main sources of heat. 6EPs were noted for overheating problems, but me and mac have discussed this and we cannot see why a auxiallary remote mounted oil to air cooler; or a diffferent idea; couldn,t be used first from the TC outlet thru aux cooler and then to original oil to water cooler. Would be just using 'new' cooler to dissapate half the heat to start with. Cat had to come up with this idea on the 140hp D6C because its original tc oil cooler was too small.
Cheers mate merv
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 3:50pm
Thanks Merv, I have pidgeon holed those numbers for later, will call around Monday to see if I can get them to cross to something here.   Kind of wished this little monster would have at least circulated oil, many times it would stop pulling oil, and I did replace all the soft hoses and connection gaskets.  Pitiful when these little pumps quit working!  And such a PITA when you have to pull one! you are correct as to poor engineering!

Edited by DMiller - 13 Oct 2012 at 3:53pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 2:07pm
Just to close out the thread, the pump "IT" had arrived yesterday, been to the farm, got it installed this morning, they sent new studs/nuts but the holes in the timing case are thru holes and I could not verify they wouldn't get too deep so I reused the old bolts.

AMAZING, is all I could come up with as to the ease the old girl will now dance on the rails, turns on a dime, only need to pull a lever for it to drift then a light touch to the brake and off we go.  Trans even responds better, no more drag when at stop with both brakes or even one and not on steer clutches.   Brakes respond so much easier, all of the control functions are so much lighter now.

I have this in "IT" arrived thread to continue from here..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic