This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

easy weekend mods for the wd/wd-45

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firephight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: easy weekend mods for the wd/wd-45
    Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 6:52pm
I have seen alot of pepole on this site wanting to increase HP but dont want to do a complete tear down of there engine. I would like to see some easier mods that people have done to up the Hp. Or some links to diffrent cams and carb mods . pics would be awsome also
Sponsored Links

firephight View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firephight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 12:14pm
theres got to be some easy hp gains! maybe some one has a trick about diffrent carb or how to dill out the needle, or how to port and polish the head,or advance the timing!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 12:19pm
just let your fingers do the walking through archives and old post. enjoy
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 2:14pm
Pull the engine and drop a 170 gas engine in. That's about the easiest weekend mod you can do and get more power.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 2:54pm
nitrous!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
acwdwcman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acwdwcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 8:54am
put all new battery  bearings and blinker fluid in it and give it a try! 
wd with a freeman model 90 trip loader, wd45, 38 unstylled wc, b 10 garden tractor and 2-14 ac trip plow. grandpa has a 56 wd45. wd. allis chalmers snap coupler blade and 3 bottom snap coupler plow
mufflerboltz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 12:55pm
i agree, if some of the people that have been pulling longer then some of us others would let us in some of their secrets that would be great. I mean they dont have to all but some of the basics! i have been pulling for a few years now and know how other pullers like to keep most stuff to themselves. But in those few years i have learned alot from just being told a little and still finding out i have to ask the right questions to get the right answers im looking for!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 2:06pm
I posted search old threads. Mainly to keep the brats away. So i will post some things now knowing the brat will post soon.you can do try some things like tightening the valve lash this would let you know if you could benefit from a cam with more lift
Depending on skills you could port the intake .you can try electronic ignitions you can remove the altenator and run a 16 volt battery to really liven up a msd box. Carb only needs the main jet any economiser or bowl to jet restrictions need to be removed. Change all the eeaeend fluid to light weight motor oil. Remove anything like hydraulic pump etc that takes power.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 3:16pm
 It would help some if we knew the rules, if any, where you pull. As posted things like the charging system and hydraulics take power to operate, remove them. Remove the fan belt and loose the fan and water pump if allowed. if not leave the belt loose so it slips.  If the oil bath is like most of them and 95% plugged with dirt a big gain will come from cleaning it out or pitching it and going with a K&N or similar. If the rules require the stock air cleaner to be in place then gut it or cut  a big hole in the back side of the hose where it cant be seen.  Run the RPMs up to D-17 spec and you will have very close to D-17 HP.  Kind of basic but is it in good tune to begin with? How long has it been since the valve cover has been off? Pank mentioned playing with the lash which is good but there are gains to be had just by putting them at spec if they havent been touched for 26 years.
mufflerboltz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 6:32am
Thank you guys! the only rules that really are stated  is that the enigne must run near stock rpm, and motor is to appear stock, and a bunch of tire mumbo-jumbo! 
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by mufflerboltz mufflerboltz wrote:

Thank you guys! the only rules that really are stated  is that the enigne must run near stock rpm, and motor is to appear stock, and a bunch of tire mumbo-jumbo! 
well that leaves alot of room for big bores and long strokes.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 10:44am
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

I posted search old threads. Mainly to keep the brats away. So i will post some things now knowing the brat will post soon.you can do try some things like tightening the valve lash this would let you know if you could benefit from a cam with more lift
Depending on skills you could port the intake .you can try electronic ignitions you can remove the altenator and run a 16 volt battery to really liven up a msd box. Carb only needs the main jet any economiser or bowl to jet restrictions need to be removed. Change all the eeaeend fluid to light weight motor oil. Remove anything like hydraulic pump etc that takes power.

It would be best to take pankeys advice and read the archives. What you will quickly learn is that there are no brats hers. But there is pankey, he's learning and may someday. Have a tractor to pull. Just check out wd45 cam timeing and you'll see that geometry and mathamatics work a bit different for him than the rest of the world.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

Originally posted by mufflerboltz mufflerboltz wrote:

well that leaves alot of room for big bores and long strokes.
I guess you must be better than most think if you can do big bores and long strokes without doing a complete tear-down and get it all done over the weekendLOL
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic