This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD 6 Generator or Alternator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD 6 Generator or Alternator
    Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 3:55pm
Nice fall day here so am working on the six.  Took the generator off to clean - up next to the oil canister:  Two questions for you:

1.  Are any of you guys running an alternator in place of the generator?  If so are you use a Delco or Motorola or other?

2.  Anyone have a good NAPA, Baldwin or Purolator number for the oil filter for the block?

The engine is an HD 344 block - 1958.  

Hope you guys are getting some good weather today.   Orangeman...
Sponsored Links

Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 7:01pm
Assuming you do NOT have one of the optional oil filters an HD344 motor should take a NAPA 1012 or Wix 5102 or Fram CH8PL The 6000 and 7000 motors take a different filter
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 7:10pm
As it is 24V you would have to search some to find a unit. I have used the Delco units on trucks with 24V . you can find them on some older units but are kind of rare . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 7:21pm
Hey Dozer and Coke:  Great information and thank-you!

BTW I see Delco 24 Volt 10 SI Alternators on Ebay at $135.  Also noticed some single 24V batteries as well.  

Might be a good replacement for the old 24V generator. 

Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 3:02pm
You have to choose an alternator that will not snag on the nose cone. On some of my coversions, the one I thought I could use would catch on the dozer nose cone. Then had to go to a more compact unit. As the years have gone by, the amp output of them has increased rapidly, so the compact models now supply ample charge for HD6 even if you run a lot of work lights
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 4:53pm
Hey Mac:  Do you know the name brand of the alternator that is on your 6?  This HD6 beast I am working on has not a single light on it.   The ones that occupied the top of the radiator cover or nose cone, are gone but the wiring is there.  

Today I pulled the head, water on top of #1 and # 4, Valves, Pistons and pushrods all look to be in good shape.  Vacuumed up all the water off the pistons and clean out the crud.  Noticed severe erosion in the combustion chamber on the head at # 1 and # 2.  Also bent a few studs pulling the head so will need to replace three of the long studs.  Guess I get busy and find a vendor. 

Engine has flat top pistons.  Am guessing this old girl is gonna need rings, and possibly new liners.  

Next up is to pull the pan and see how the bottom looks.  More to come... Orangeman
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 2:11am
orangeman, would defintly pull liners just to replace liner seal rings.
liners may clean up with a 'bunch of grapes' hone and just use new rings.
good luck   merv
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 4:19am
I used a German made Bosch alternator on a conversion for HD6, probably only about 35 amp but does the job. That was after having the nice big 55 amp Delco that came on a military Chevy diesel rebuilt at an auto electrical shop at considerable expense, only to find it would not comfortably fit inside the nose cone allowing for belt stretch and adjustments. It can be used on my HD11 tractors which have much more room in the nose.
The alternators made these days have much more output. A compact one like my little Bosch can do up around 100 amp
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 6:47pm
FWIW

I fitted a Bosch 24 volt 55 amp alternator to our 45 grader.  It is a single leg alternator and I welded the adapter to a generator mount from a HD 11 and used the Allis adjusting strap.

orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 5:14pm
Hi Ian, MacTractor, HD6 Merv:  Good to hear from you guys, I always liked the bosch equipment.  I can see how the 24V alternator would be a good set up.  Thank-you for posting your insights, much appreciated!!!

I heard that Dozer is moving dirt with his 6's.  Allis sure did make a nice machine.  

Fall coming here in the North Country of New York, sure is nice weather to work on the Allis's.

Take care guys...Orangeman
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 6:23pm
Orangeman,

Off thread, but I've had no feedback on injector nozzles. 

Another bloke talked about being able to use bigger nozzles at lower presure or smaller at higher if I remember it straight.

We had a lot of small HP diesel industrial engines here (a lot from UK but some home-grown) with either Bosch or CAV gear and he mentioned trying England - no contacts though.

Price of fuel probably had a lot to do with these engines being so common.  In 1922 petrol was 35c/(Imp) gallon,kerosene 22c and crude oil 6c.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 3:01am
Orangeman,

I forgot to mention that, if you are lucky, the pulley from your generator might go straight on the alternator.  No key, so you might need a bit of locktite.
flyingfreeman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingfreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 9:06pm
I have an HD6-B, and just replaced my generator with a Prestolite  8MR3188K (also listed under 110-557 )   24 volt 55 Amp, internal regulator, self excite alternator.  I will have to slightly modify my mount to align the pulley perfectly (the pulley that I used sets the belt approximately 1/4 inch too far forward).   You'll need to order a pulley for the alternator, and I used one that will overdrive the alternator for excellent charging at idle-- 7940-7100  is the part number.

I purchased the alternator from EMS Global, and the pulley from SmithCo Electric.  Both are on Ebay and provided excellent service.  

One issue is the alternator pivot bolt is 1/2, and my generator mount used a 3/8 bolt.  I may purchase a bushing to slip over the bolt, but I've installed it this way for now, and it appears to fit well enough.

As for the wiring, you only need to connect 1 wire from the battery (I ran a wire to the starter hot lead) to the + terminal on the alternator, and 1 wire from ground to GND terminal on the alternator.  When the alternator is spinning (at engine idle and above), the alternator begins making power (thanks to self excite function).  

My belts are new, and it seems that I have plenty of adjustment as the belt stretches.

The shaft could stand to be a bit longer, but I'm satisfied with the pulley,  The threads didn't extend completely through the pulley, but I feel it's good enough.  I used thread locker, and tightened it with a 1/2" breaker bar holding the shaft with an allen and a 15" Crescent holding the nut.  It's pretty tight (probably 120 ft pounds, but I didn't use a lock washer so I could engage more threads).

Hopefully, this will help someone.  I spent quite a bit of time researching this, and feel lucky to have discovered these parts.

Alternator
http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_products/specs.php?item_detail_id=19890&item=8MR3188K#

Pulley
http://smithcoelectric.com/7940-7100-new-pulley-for-delco-7940-7100

Product list
http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_products/alt_results.php?c_amps=&item_application_value=&item_mount_value=&item_series_id=

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic