This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oops steel breaks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oops steel breaks
    Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 2:54pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Sponsored Links

Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 3:26pm
Don't you just hate it when that happens.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 5:20pm
A little bondo and it will be good as new!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
WillD View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 6:15pm
Was this from overloading it/misuse, or a defect that eventually failed?
1948 A-C B
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 7:52am
Had a 7G do that.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 8:04am
Looks like the new "quick detach" bucket has arrived!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
acer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 8:10am
dont know what happened it just broke
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 9:22pm
i thought the holes in arms like that made them stronger. guess not.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 9:26pm

"call the factory rep and tell him to get his a... out here, I have NO IDEA how this saftey breakaway is supposed tio work" !

I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 10:51am
I've been thinking about this photo since I took my first look, and from what I see, I THINK what may have happened here, is a hydraulic cylinder, hose, or plumbing problem...

Notice that while the closest lift arm is up high, the far (right) side is only partially up... and there's very little load in the bucket.

These lift arms are plenty svelte.  Typically, older wheel loaders I've operated were gravity down only, while some newer ones had downpressure.  Regardless of how they were valved, every one had a hose to both sides of the cylinder, as if it were actually being used in double-acting mode.  The reason for doing so, is to prevent having the 'unused' side of a single acting system vented out in the dusty-dirty area of the working world.  Instead of venting, the unused line would either be piped to a remotely filtered place, or piped to the tank or valving, so that any displacement airflow came from 'within' the protected environment of the hydraulic system.

These lift arms are incredibly strong... they have to be, to take the day-in/day-out industrial/mining workload and yield high reliability.  The one thing, however, that will tragically weaken the lift arms, is if one is subjected to not only it's own workload, but workload of the other side...

I believe that probably what happened here, is that one of the cylinders either jammed due to a mechanical issue, or the hydraulic system suffered some sort of blockage that prevented one cylinder from doing 'it's fair share'.  (sorry, just couldn't help putting that in).

While loss of one cylinder wouldn't result in having the thing rip in two on the first shot, a long-term imbalance between the cylinders would fatigue the lift arms just as the photo indicates... not to mention being really hard on pins 'n stuff...

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 11:58am
Look close and you will see cables from the upper piece of lift arm to the lower ones saying some type of work was done to try to stabilize or raise the broken section to either move or start repair. 
 Unbalanced load could be a problem but shock loading was more likely the cause. I ended up breaking both billet lift arms (at separate times) on my 715B over one year while doing snow removal at below 0 temps. both times it was close to - 20F and hitting a frozen in hidden rock at a angle created a stress load greater than design factor of loader. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 12:22pm
I see the cables to to which you refer... (and the ratchet-strap in place obviously to protect neighborhood passers-by from walking their dogs into a dangerous place)...

The cables don't look like something suitable for recovery... they do, however, look like armor-jacketed electronic signalling cables coming from the load pins (strain gauges) to the cab-mounted scale indicator.

Anybody on here work at the Peoria facility?  chime in and tell me- are those arms cast billet, forged, or fabricated?  These appear to be forged, while very loader I've operated was fabricated steel (doesn't mean much, as I've never operated one quite that big)... but my local quarry has one a little smaller in chassis size, with about the same sized bucket (no teeth), and it's fab'd.  I'm sure that if those arms are cast billet,  they're soft specifically for this reason.

I imagine that repair job somewhat sucked.

Edited by DaveKamp - 08 Jul 2012 at 12:24pm
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 2:46pm

looks to me like defective or the lack of weld around the cross piece between the booms. 

The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 5:23pm
Coke, who was drivin, and did he blame it on the previous shift's operator?
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 7:04pm
There is a pin that goes though the bell crank and end caps on both side to hold things together. It look to me like one side let go and then snap the orther side, it isn't the first time I have seen this, and what looks like cable is the grease lines. I would say someone didnt do a good preshift before going to work. Kenny L.
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 7:28pm
There is a large, heavy wall piece of tubing (looks to be 16 to 24 inches in diameter) that connects the two lift arms this keeps them in line/sync as the hydraulics will allow all the lift go to the light side of the load. That tube extents about half way through the life arm it is then welded between the end of the tube and the inside of the hole in the lift arm on the outside of the arm. On the inside, of the arm the weld is on the outside of the tube to that side of the arm. Looking at the break it follows that inside weld right around the tube. Probably that weld was not properly cooled at the factory and it weakened the metal just outside the weld. Eventually that metal cracked and the short pieces on the ends of the crack could not hold.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic