This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some People......

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some People......
    Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 10:15pm
shouldn't own tools. after getting my used parted together 175 diesel into my Ind. D-15 and finally getting it started it refused to run decent. The longer it ran the worse it ran until it just quit. Popping out the intake from #4 cyl. and making lots of smoke I finally conceded that I would pull the head. When I pulled it off I found the PO didn't insert the fire rings in the head gasket and it blew out between both cylinder's 1 and 2, and 3 and 4. Now I get to spend another 150.00 on another gasket set. Might as well get a whole set as I'm far from done and as seeing that the poor thing was put partially together with no fire rings, a bad cam, leaking water pump, and who knows what else I feel I'm far from done with this project.
Just thought I'd vent a little and ask what other stupidity has anyone else seen on a project that was supposed to be done and ok, only to find you have to redo everything that was supposed to be already done. 
Yea, I can fix that.....
Sponsored Links

CAdon View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 10:27pm
so many i now call them "rehearsal assemblies".  somehow the word "whoops" just doesn't quite cover it.  but i've learned to take pictures of every step as i disassemble now.  BIG help! i don't usually have the luxury of finishing one project before i get "emergencied" into another, so what i was sure i'd remember turns out to be "now how did this go...?".
52 CA, 41 B and a little B1    oh, yeah... and an 8N ford snuck in there, too.

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 10:44pm
thats where one wishes the overhaul by inept individuals was with a spray can of paint and no tools . 
 Have bought a few things like that where the repairs done by someone end up costing more to fix than what doing it right the first time would have cost in time alone. 
 Looked at one dozer where the track pads were loose on rails. Looked at it about a month later and owner had put grade 2 hardware bolts into track. Said it was all fixed now .. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 10:52pm
Yep, I spent most of the last year fixing things done by the guy I hired to put the engine in my WC. All it needed was bolt the head, manifold, carb and mag with front cower and put the pan on. Almost everything he did he screwed up including not fixing the rear seal as I told him sompin wasn't right about it. He wasn't happy about the rework, but he did the seal and I had to figure the rest out myself.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 9:02am
Dave I know your pain! I  work on old tractors for a living and run into that kind of "inept repair" (to quote Coke) all the time and makes the repair cost more to fix the " inept repair" that if he had just let me do the work in the first place. Them they can tell you all about how to do the job but can't seem to get it done them-shelf.
I think the tool salesman needs to give a test before tools can be sold over the counter.
LOL

Edited by Don(MO) - 17 Jun 2012 at 9:03am
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 11:16am
A "TOOL TEST", now that's a great idea Don. I'd say they need to revisit the degree's they give to some so called "Engineers" too.
Yea, I can fix that.....
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 11:46am
Originally posted by D-17_Dave D-17_Dave wrote:

A "TOOL TEST", now that's a great idea Don. I'd say they need to revisit the degree's they give to some so called "Engineers" too.
My FIL is a great guy, very inteligent. He is a retired electronic engineer.  And he has a nice toy collection but he realy shouldn't be alloud to have tractors. Yesterday he got hung up trying to go across a stream to mow. Instead of waiting until i could get there and pull him out, [whitch i have to do regulary] he ended up crossways down stream and some how ran the front end into a tree that extends into the stream.   

Edited by dave63 - 17 Jun 2012 at 11:48am
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by dave63 dave63 wrote:

My FIL is a great guy, very inteligent. He is a retired electronic engineer.  And he has a nice toy collection but he realy shouldn't be alloud to have tractors. Yesterday he got hung up trying to go across a stream to mow. Instead of waiting until i could get there and pull him out, [whitch i have to do regulary] he ended up crossways down stream and some how ran the front end into a tree that extends into the stream.   
You may want to consider a winch as a gift to him for his birthday or Christmas?  LOLBig smile
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Stan IL&TN Stan IL&TN wrote:

Originally posted by dave63 dave63 wrote:

You may want to consider a winch as a gift to him for his birthday or Christmas?  LOLBig smile
And give up all that fun of pulling him out. Naaa
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 6:47pm
Hey it's not the owner doing it! It's always my neighbor did it. So take the tools from all the alleged helping neighbors!
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 7:07pm
Add a spray gun,welder and torch to the list.Don't even get me started on the wiring. The molested tractors and equipment I have seen. Some people have no self respect. Tracy Martin
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic