This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

You guys almost had an auction to go to....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You guys almost had an auction to go to....
    Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 10:05pm
but I guess it wasn't quite my time.  This morning I was unhooking a 3pt field cultivator from the D17 SIV. I got the RH side lift arm unhooked then went to the LH side but it still had weight on it.  I stepped in front of the rear wheel and reached across to let the 3pt  down some more...when I pulled my arm back the cuff of my leather glove caught the gear shift lever and put the tractor in first gear.  Fortunately the tractor was idling and I realized what had happened....and the 18.4's were set way out, and I popped it back out of gear real fast, or I might have been a pancake. Be careful out there....
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Sponsored Links

morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 10:46pm
Whew! Thats the last thing I want to hear (the other outcome, of course). Glad your OK Eldon. Sounds like you had someone watching over you.

Guys as someone who comes from the Fire/Rescue service and has been through Penn States Ag Rescue series, I can't stress Farm Safety enough...be careful out there...but more importantly, BE SMART!!! I know accidents happen, but most of the farm accidents I hear about happen when someone does something they shouldn't because "it won't happen to me" or "I'll just do it this one time" or "It's never gone wrong before".

It only takes a split second...for any one of us...
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 1:20am
the first time i hooked my new case to the disk....was coming back in, and that tractor has a partial power shift...1 lever has 4 settings, 1,2,3,& reverse. i thought i was in 2nd, but was really in 1st, i pulled it back and was instantly in reverse! the motor was still about 1/2 throttle, pushed the lever ahead 1 notch, and the front end came off the ground about 5 ft! hit the clutch and bounced back down!! whew! i sure like that powershift for disking, but will hafta really pay attention to where that danged lever is! wished it had a light over the shifter like AC has!
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 1:22am
glad your o-k! cuz...i can't go to any more sales right now...no more money!!!   lol just kiddin! becides..i'm saving for a newer camper!
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 4:27am
Wow Eldon it doesn't take anything unusual to cause an accident. I try to make it a point to mount tractor for everything needed, but its so easy to just reach up and tickle the hand clutch or whatever from the groung...like I did a few times last week. Be careful out there and spread the word to your helpers!
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 7:05am
I've reached in and done that without ever thinking about it -- you have reminded me that I shouldn't do that -- thanks. Things happen fast -- we need to pay attention. Glad you are OK - too far to go for an auction - LOL
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 7:31am
Thank God you're all right, Eldon. I want a guided tour of your stuff sometime, not a self guided one. I've done things just as stupid myself, though. My BIL's, 2294 was having some intermittant PTO safety switch issues one time, and occasionally wouldn't start. I got on it one day, and it wouldn't start, I got pissed off and thinking that the switch was the issue, I took my trusty screw driver to the starter. The actual problem was that the FIL had last driven it, and he had the shift lever in neutral, but hadn't actually gotten the transmission itself out of 4th gear. I to this day don't know how I got out of the way, and it was a good thing that the tractor had a loader on it and there was a brick building 10 ft in front of it to stop it. Otherwise, I'd probably still be chasing it! Ditto Eldon, "be careful!" Darrel
ky wonder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky wonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 7:41am
glad you made it out ok
i like old tractors of all colors
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 7:41am
When I as 14 I was at an auction with my father. They were selling a 7020 and when the owner went to start it,it lurched forward straight into the auction truck.Thank God no one was standing there.Auctoneer left his truck damaged for a long time and would tell everyone to stay out from between truck and tractors when they start them . To this day if I see someone standing between truck and tractors I will always try to get them to move.

Glad to hear this was just a near miss Eldon , too far to go for a good auction any way.Thanks for posting Eldon, maybe someone will take notice of this and be a little safer.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 7:52am
Glad you only have to change your pants!  Safety First, second and always!  We all do it, but we shouldn't !!  Shortcuts are deadly!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 8:01am
LET'S BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!
Last week I wanted to mix some 24D in my 2 gal hand sprayer. Heck, I don't need gloves or goggles. I put about a gallon of water in the sprayer and made sure it pumped up OK and the hose and nozzle were clear of obstruction. I took the top off, picked up the 24D and proceeded to dump a tablespoon of it in the tank. I was looking down but my face was at least 2 feet from the water level in the tank. Somehow, a drop of liquid bounced up and hit me in the right eye. Let me tell you it's hard to stay bent over the kitchen sink for 15 minutes to flush an eye out with the spray nozzle.
 I hate when people learn lessons the hard way. We all need to think safe is better than saving a minute or 2.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 3:14pm
You know, that same thing happened to me in our shop.  WD was idling and popped into gear - I still don't know how.  I just popped the gear out and was OK.  Still, Eldon, you and I are both on "borrowed time".
Let's make the most of it..

Also TO EACH AND EVERY ONE - DO BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.  They don't make Allis Chalmers Any more so that makes the Allis enthusiast's that much more valuable.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 4:10pm
Years Ago mechanic that had worked for AC dealer until it closed was working on 140 farmall hit starter to raise lift. Knock him down and got him long ways , lasted about one day.
Brian S(NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian S(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 4:35pm
Scary.. but glad you're oK.
God made man.Sam colt made man equal.
Seth Souerdike View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Souerdike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 6:24pm
a friend of my moms dad not to long ago got his leg caught in the grain auger. He was in the hospital for 3 months.
There are no atheist in foxholes.

DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 9:44pm
Funny how you can bump them and they fall right in gear but when  you have your foot on the clutch they can grind like crazy sometime.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic