This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hd5g advise needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clark66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hd5g advise needed
    Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 9:43pm

Hi, I was looking for some advise from the experts as to the condition of the undercarriage of this hd5g loader. I'm not very familiar with track machines and saw this one for sale, It runs and steers fine but i'm weary of the tracks and rollers and such as I know that this is what is most crucial. Is there any life left in these tracks / rollers or are they not far from shot? Was going to use it to clear some heavy brush and for limited use around a farm. They are asking 4500. Any opinions are appreciated-Thank you

Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 10:29pm
The rails and sprocket look good but you don't have a picture of the bushings which could still have ware on them. Also looks like the pin boss maybe rubbing on the roller flanges which could mean the rollers maybe getting down. But hopefully I am seeing shadows and everything is good.For some reason tracks seem to stay on HD5 better than some other machines.I have a HD5B that the tracks have not been that good in 40 years and only when they are way out of adjustment(none left) do they want to come off.
Ray
Headerpuncher View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Headerpuncher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 3:17am
   Sprockets and rails look good. Could be somebody put on new ones or turned the pins and bushings but did not do anything to the rollers. Like Ray said the roller flanges look like they are hitting the pin boss.  Have seen some people trim off about 3/8 or so off the flanges with a torch and run the rollers to destruction. Never really had much luck rebuilding rollers by welding them up as the bearing bores would shrink and if not machined out to correct specs they never seemed to last. Also if the rollers are worn down some it will make the tractor ride hard on the sprockets.  This can be helped by reversing the blocks that hold rollers on to the frame.  If you look carefuly the blocks are thicker on one side than the other. Or could add a 3/8 piece of plate with holes drilled to fit to lower rollers.  Be careful when removing rollers as they are held to frame with a short threaded piece of iron inside of track frame. Works good to remove rock guards and replace bolts holding guards before removing rollers. This will hold rollers in their correct place, if not at least use a square to line up rollers so they are square to track frame or it will tend to roll track off to the side.If it was mine I think I would just trim some off the roller flanges and run it if the pins look good.  Clean looking HD 5, you did good.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 8:21am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 8:35am
4500 seems high but I would want more than that for mine .. 
rollers use timken bearings and not bushings in them , the shells can be welded up to spec by submerged arc by track shop. 
 Some hit on end of rail pin boss but seems about normal as some will happen when turning . measure the distance between end of pin across 3 links to see internal wear on bushing surface of track 
 Looks like it needs some new hoses on loader lift cylinders. Check the pin at the cylinder trunion also for wear . Unsure if late Srl# machine , cant see the loader frame behind bucket or to see if it has the long pin boss on the dump cylinder mounting point. 
 Single speed reverse or 2 speed?
Check shift tower for sloppy lever feel as the cross pin wears and allows the shift ball to wear and jump past rail slots if to worn.( easy repair but necessary)
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 4:53pm
4500 seems a little high but if it steers correctly, runs and not too many leaks, it would be mine. worth 2000-2500 in scrap. weighs about 18000 if i remember right. go for it is my vote.Tongue
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
clark66 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clark66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 8:26pm
Thanks everyone, I'm going to look it over one more time and make sure the steering is okay then possibly make an offer- Thanks for the replies and will post more if it all works out later.
Dave A View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 6:31pm
this one is on craigslist by me
Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 8:36pm
Unsure of what year they changed that lower brace between the loader arms from a box beam to the round tube. Have seen a lot of repairs to those with the box or flat cross brace but never seen any repair to the one with the round brace. 
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 12:34pm
Check the final drive and trnsmission for oil and look for leaks. That is another expensive repair. If you are buying it for just one job and it runs and turns well now it will likely do this job. If you are planing to keep it for a while look it over good because repairs are expensive.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic