This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD10W oil filter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD10W oil filter
    Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 9:11am
Looking for a oil filter for Detroit diesel in a HD10. The filter is a cartridge type and is about 6.5 inches long and 3.5 to maybe 3.75 inches wide that came out of it. Not sure though if this is the actual filter size though it would be close with what the size the cannister is. Anybody have some numbers for different brands in this size range. I had a guy swear it was one filter but turned out it was 2 inches to long though the right diameter.
Sponsored Links

Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:07pm
Have you tried NAPA? I usually locate filters on the FRAM commercial website then convert them to WIX or Hastings. Filters should not be a problem for a Detroit. 
Argo2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 11:09pm
Tried NAPA first. Tried every parts store we had up here. Finally located one through a Detroit diesel company and that was only because the parts man was of the right vintage and had seen such an item. The problem seems to be that the one I have is smaller than any of the others I have located, by a considerable bunch. Going to now take of the cannister and bring it to town so I can modify to use spin ons instead. Should have done that to start.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 6:39am
I had issues finding anyone that showed filters(all the filters) for the recent 7G we bought, went online to Baldwin and found all the alternatives by S/N changes, went to their online sales company Application Associates in NJ and had all the correct filters for my machine in less than 5 days.
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 10:21am
My HD-7 W did not have a filter. It had a bronze strainer which is now on a shelf in the shop. I found a filter that fit in the canister and fitted a spring and washer, that fit the filter, between the filter and top of the canister to hold the filter in place. Something like that was probably done to your 10 in the past.  
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 10:58pm
we could not get an element for dads 6-71 in his HD15 as it was part of the fuel filter housing assy.   since it was a bypass filter anyway we just order a spin on filter with a mount assy and just made hoses to connect where the original lines did.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Argo2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 7:31am
Well finally got an old original manual for the 10. Now I see the problem. In the manual there is a photo and diagram showing that there is a primary cartridge type filter on the right side in front of the fuel pump housing and just behind the rad complete with an oil cooler. Mine has a little plate bolted over the hole painted with the original color. It almost appears it never had a primary filter. The other side is where the secondary filter is bolted to the motor in the same spot as the one on the pictured HD15. The problem with this is that according to the manual this supply of oil is not the same as what was routed to the primary filter. Having said that the unit is older than me and still has good oil pressure. Those motors must be some tuff stuff.
I am going to do the same and install a spin on on the secondary side. I am now looking for a primary housing assembly complete or build an adapter to fit another spin on with an oil cooler for the primary circuit. Any done this or know where I can get the original housing assembly for the primary filter?
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 1:55pm
the HD10W we used to have only had a fine screen on the primary side.  the filter was a bypass filter, IE it was plummed into the main oil galley and only filtered part of the oil.
Also it has to specifically be for bypass system, cause a full flow oil filter will cause most of the oil to pass and not hold pressure for engine.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 23 Mar 2012 at 2:01pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Argo2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 8:02am
Does anyone know where I can get the primary oil filter housing? It was removed from the oil cooler. Failing that does anyone have a diagram of the inlet port from the oil cooler to a filter housing and then the return port for oil from the filter to block?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic