This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XT runs but surges

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XT runs but surges
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 5:55pm
Hey guys, I ran the XT for hours today, then changed oil and filter for crankcase. It runs with a constant surge. We are pretty darned sure the fuel lines are air free. If I have it sitting still at say 1200 rpms it will surge to 13 or 1400 then back to 1200. Every 2 or 3 seconds. If I run it up the driveway hill in 3rd high it's less noticeable but there. Is there an adjustment on the pump for this? On the back of pump where throttle hooks there is a bolt sticking out the front and one behind throttle. If I push either one with my finger and hold it the surging goes away. It's kindalike my CA when I take off to mow with the L306. Governors hyperactive. How do I correct this? It seems under load to smooth out but this can't be normal?! Any help will be greatly appreciated. My return lines are clear, my cap is vented. Once today I cracked injector 5 so it squirted fuel while it was running and the surging went away. We cracked others and most of the time it didn't change anything. Wierd. Thaks, Dana

Edited by captaindana - 12 Mar 2012 at 5:56pm
Sponsored Links

bill2260 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill2260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 6:44pm
My 185 will do that sometimes when the screen in the sediment bowl begins to restict fuel to the injector pump. Clean it out and goes away. May be worth a check. Bill
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 7:29pm
Bill do you have the plastic mesh screens or the metal brassy looking screens? I cleaned both gascolater bowls of their sedement TWICE today. Junky crap on the bottom but the fine PLASTIC screens I have seemed clean. Maybe I should use the metal screens instead of plastic? IDK. Thanks for the tip! Dana
SLee(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLee(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 7:52pm
Dad bought our XT new in 1970. First thing the dealers mechanic said was to remove the screens from the sediment bowls. They restrict fuel flow. Let the fuel filter do its job keeping the fuel clean. I imagine this would apply only to high load situations not part load. Our XT hasn't had the screens in since and all is well.
Also, I bought a tractor once that would surge and lose power. Fuel tank had Algae crap pluging the tank outlet. Once cleaned it ran good. Just throwing a couple ideas out to try.
Good luck.
Steve
smokey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 7:57pm
Captaindana, on that cross shaft where to throttle hooks hooks on, see if that nut is tight but don't twist it off, mine has came lose before on my 7000, and my  190xt was doing what you have said and I changed the fuel filter and that took care of it, I know you'll get air in the system again. Just a couple thing to check, enjpumpED will chime in. probly some high altitude spring or somthing L.O.L.
I have been watching your posts as you have been working on this project and it looks good, but you have 20yrs of little bugs to work out, but you'll get-em I know you will. Good job. 
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 8:04pm
I would say air or restriction. The spring on the throttle could be loose I suppose. There is no bumper spring on roosa's like an inline. Those screens could be the restricion. Good luck! Ed.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 8:21pm
I forgot to tell ya I replaced the fuel filter also today. Heck it had 3 hours on it! lol No difference. I will remove the screens in the morn and see what happens. Also today my back right gascolater seemed loose. I had heard but never tried the ol addage about hooking a vacuum hose to a fuel tank so you can work on the outlet...and I can report it works great! My son held a loose vacuum connection around the filler neck and I unscrewed the gascolater...teflon taped it, reinstalled the elbow , cleaned and reinstalled...and didn't loose a drop! WOW. One other question. My gascolater bowl always has an air bubble at the top. I can't get rid of it. Why?    
Roger Nolin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Nolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 8:39pm
on Dads 190xt when it started surging like that I had to rebuild the pump
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 4:53am
Yeah Rog I have a newly rebuilt pump and injectors. thanks Dana
bill2260 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill2260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 7:03am
My 185 has the plastic screen. I end up cleaning it several times per year. Sure would be a lot more dirt in the fuel filter without it. Should take the tank off and clean it out, but this is easier. Bill
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 10:31am
Flush the tank? Keep at it man, my Dad is watching closely! I know you will get it. Lets review, 40 some year old tractor not running for 27, Dana gets it running and painted many "small" repairs, seat etc. Couple things to dial in, dont get discouraged, I would love to have your problem, Trev.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 11:47pm
Bet your flex ring is going bad.  Happened on my 180 a year ago.  Runs great now that I repaired the pump.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 6:31am
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

Bet your flex ring is going bad.  Happened on my 180 a year ago.  Runs great now that I repaired the pump.
read the whole post. He just put rebuilt pump on it.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
j.w.freck View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.w.freck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 9:33pm
injection pump ed....do they have a surge slug in them as they so mon some of the 45-d ?none of my 45-d have the surge slug,but i have worked on some that did.by the way rd i replaced the injectors in my 45-d that you and i had corresponded about and it stopped.thx for the help.i am going to get the nozzles run again...thx again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic