This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XT update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XT update
    Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 11:28am
Hi yall I reinstalled all injectors and have rebled everything. I took off the air intake pipe so I can see the inlet side of the turbo. I can make it run on short sprays of starting fluid but it doesn't seem to stay running at all with the diesel. It doesn't seem to get excited at all with the wd40 either. Why won't it continue to run on the diesel I keep asking myself. BTW its 55*.

Edited by captaindana - 22 Feb 2012 at 11:49am
Sponsored Links

BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 11:56am
Keep bleeding until you get plenty of white smoke. Maybe even bleed while it's running on ether. It sounds like it's not completely bled yet.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 11:58am
Keep bleeding like how? Leaving the top cracked where the lines hook to injectors??
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by captaindana captaindana wrote:

Keep bleeding like how? Leaving the top cracked where the lines hook to injectors??
YES
Loosen the lines where they hook to the injetors, hold throttle wide open, and crank.
Once fuel starts coming out of lines, tighten them back up and hit er with a snort of ether and she should fire
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 12:30pm
Got the block heater plugged in?  And does it work?
BobHnwO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobHnwO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 12:37pm
If your gettin a lot of smoke,engine is too cold!
Why do today what you can put off til tomorrow.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 12:39pm
What Don said...  There's no use tightening them if they aren't squirting solid fuel (no air).  Often what happens is you will get one bled and it will fire on one, then you get the second bled and it fires on two, then the third and it might try to run, and by the time you get four bled it should run until you get the other two tightened up.  Like Don said, leave the throttle wide open until it starts to run faster than you want it to.  With all the cranking you'll have to do, everything should be thoroughly pre-lubed anyway, so let it roar for a minute or two to clear itself out.  Post video when you get it going!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 12:41pm
If you don't have white smoke (fuel vapor), you don't have it bled yet.  Get fuel first, then worry about heat.
Burgie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 12:45pm
I hate to ask this but, do you have the fuel turned on??
"Burgie"
bill2260 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill2260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 12:46pm
When I had the injector pump rebuilt on my 185, all I did was plug it in so the block was warm, crack number 5 and 6 injector till fuel dripped off the block. Closed them up and cranked for several seconds and it started right off. If shop is not real warm, make sure you plug in for several hours before and it should start. Bill
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 1:55pm
I am with Burgie on this,  is it possible you have the shut off cable hooked up back wards or maybe the throttle hooked to the shut off and the shut off hooked to the throttle?  Seems odd if it runs on either then there can be no fuel getting into the cylinders, or very little.
pirlbeck View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pirlbeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 2:18pm
Do you have the shutoff cable pulled out? These old Allis's are different then most other tractors of that time period.......out to run and in for off.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by pirlbeck pirlbeck wrote:

Do you have the shutoff cable pulled out? These old Allis's are different then most other tractors of that time period.......out to run and in for off.

That's sompin I always thought wasn't too well thought out. I know it has caused problems with people not use to an Allis diesel.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Dean(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 3:22pm
Captain,
 Is there any chance that the injection pump was installed 180 degrees out of time?
It's possible to install it that way. You would still get fuel at the outlets on the pump,
but it wouldn't start.
If it won't run on ether, you might want to look at valve timing by taking off the
valve cover and check to make sure the camshaft is timed  correctly. HTH
Russ-neia View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ-neia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

Originally posted by pirlbeck pirlbeck wrote:

That's sompin I always thought wasn't too well thought out. I know it has caused problems with people not use to an Allis diesel.

I know it was different from other brands, but I always thought it was a good idea.  Look how panic buttons are done now - much easier to push something in during an emergency than try to grasp it and give a pull.  Most electronic PTO switches from todays lawn mowers to articulated 4x4's are pull-on push-off.
The innovators offer what others will imitate.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 4:38pm
Dana, Like the guys said, get fuel squirting solid out of the lines at the injectors.
  Make sure your injection pump IS supplying enough fuel too. Had a pump that the fuel had clogged the pump enough so there was some smoke... but not enough to do anything... So it mhas to be a good flow at injectors.
  Are you cranking it with TWO hot batteries? Slow turning won't start a diesel...
It should start... unless previous owner had messed with it and couldn't get it started back then either, then all bets are off.
  Wish I could be there to help wake her up from her sllumber...
   Make sure the shut off linkage on injector pump is in full on position.
 Good Luck...JC
ron nca View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ron nca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 6:08pm
   Dana make sure your fuel return is nor pluged up of blocked it will not run if it is.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 6:41pm
SHe runs! See newer boat anchor post lol! Dana
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic