This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to forum and new WD45

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Wayne(IA) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to forum and new WD45
    Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 9:56pm
Hi all, my father recently gave me his WD45.  It was rebuilt about 20 years ago and has sat idle much of that time.  I trailered it back and have been working on it since.  I have gone through the electrics, installed an alternator and coil.  It is now running and I have been using it on our acreage.  I picked up a worn wide front end that I hope to give new life to.  I would appreciate any advice on what to check on the tractor since it has been sitting so long.  Here is a picture of when I brought it home, I hope to include more pictures of the front end rebuild as I complete it.  Sorry if the picture does not load correctly)

Wayne
Sponsored Links

Josh Day View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 9:59pm
looks good. and welcome to the forum

Edited by Josh Day - 10 Feb 2012 at 10:00pm
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 10:05pm
Welcome aboard.  Change all of the fluids.
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 10:12pm
   Welcome ! That loader looks like it will go way on up there !
Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com
Wayne(IA) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 10:16pm
Yup, my dad told me that the loader bucket would go almost over my head if I'm not careful.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 7:47am

great looking tractor, with a loader to boot... I wouldn't be going very high with the loader, ya might get in 'over your head'  : )

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 8:09am
Welcome to the best site on the internet. Lots of helpful people on here.Have you checked oil bath air cleaner? pretty simple but overlooked alot. Mine was really nasty and looked like it had never been cleaned.Like others have said change fluids. Keep an eye on exhaust and intake for cracks and leaks.If you use tractor on bush hog check bolts where PTO enters transmission at housing under tractor.Mine loosened up while I was running a rotary mower.Easy enough fix but could have saved some trouble if I had been checking it.
WD45 was one of A/C's most popular tractor.Lots of parts and knowledge still readily available.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 8:37am
I agree with everyone else.  Basically if she is running well, then just change ALL the fluids, and you should be good, these 'ol girls just never gave many problems, if you kept up with maintenance.  As for putting a wide front on that tractor, you might want to check your clearance between the loader arms at the point of the front axle, I don't think it is going to fit.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Wayne(IA) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 8:41am
Thanks everyone for the nice welcome. When I first tryed to get it running it ran and sucked the hose to the carb in pretty good. I dropped the bottom of the air cleaner and found that it was full of ice and was blocking air flow. I cleaned it out, put in oil, and it has worked fine since. Any ideas on how it would get so much water in there? The only thing I can think of is lots of condensation over the years. I'm finding lots of little things that need some attention but I think it's mechanically solid. Thanks for the advise on things to take a look at. I'll check the pto before it sees any use.

Wayne
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 8:44am
you got it, condensation is big, but double check the top and sides for any signs of a hole for rain water to get in, just to be sure.
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Wayne(IA) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 8:47am
Yeah I'm aware that I couldn't use the current loader with the wide front. After taking apart the kingpins on the wide front yesterday I'm not sure how to proceed with that project. They are worn badly. I will have to see if they can be built up and turned down before I know if I will have a wide front.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 8:49am
Nice lookig WD-45.
I agree with Orange Blood - that loader  will not work with a Wide Front End.
No place for the wheels. You need an Allis Model WD9 with an arched boom.
As others said, change all the fluids.
Also clean out the mouse nests in the bottom of the left and right 'brake housings'.

Gary 
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 9:28am
To do the King pins, chuck them up in a lathe and turn them down round. Then weld back up and turn to original size. That way you don't have a parting line between weld and original material. I have turned e few in my time. There should be a locating center on both ends for chucking purposes.  Charlie
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 2:53pm
One thing that hasn't been said is because it was your fathers, you can never sell it. You can buy others, but you can never sell this one. It will be one to pass down to your kids.
RichinWis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichinWis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 7:58pm
Pretty nice looking tractor you have there, Tires look very nice on the rear.
Wayne(IA) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

To do the King pins, chuck them up in a lathe and turn them down round. Then weld back up and turn to original size. That way you don't have a parting line between weld and original material. I have turned e few in my time. There should be a locating center on both ends for chucking purposes.  Charlie

That's good news that you have turned a few kingpins down, it gives me hope for mine. Unfortunately I don't have any locating center tapers on either end. I will probably bring them to the local machine shop and see what they say about them. I will get some pictures of them and post them when I get a chance. Wayne
Wayne(IA) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 8:29pm
My tires have virtually no wear but they are weather checked quite a bit. I'll just live with them like that for a while. The sun has taken its toll on the paint as well. It was once repainted and looked great but years in the sun has taken its toll on the paint as well.

Wayne
David Gibson (OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Gibson (OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 10:44pm
Welcome!
David Gibson
http://www.darkecountysteam.com
1956 WD45
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic