This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slide Hammer and Adapter for HD6 Injectors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slide Hammer and Adapter for HD6 Injectors
    Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 7:48pm
Guys: Was looking at some OTC and Harbor Freight Slide Hammers to use to pull the Injectors on the Ole HD6 Shovel.  

Any recommendations on slide hammers that you would use to pull injectors?  Would like your thoughts or comments on what you are using to pull the injectors. 

Thanks Much - Orangeman!
Sponsored Links

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 4:33am
Orangeman,

In my experience with our AC 45 grader you don't need elaborate.  And I presume your injectors are similar.

I pulled ours with a home-made one.  The threads where you pull seem to be metric (22mm I think but won't check tonight as it is very wet).  Anyway you can cut them in a piece of 3/4" waterpipe.  And then raid the scrap pile and make your own slide hammer on that.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 3:17pm
Ian: Thanks for the insights.  I will check out our hardware and fastner store and see what available in 22mm.  I have some 3/4 rod and could weld the base of a Ford Diesel Oil Filter to one end as they are pretty heavy.  For the slide I could use a disgarded fanbelt tensioner pulley with a hole drilled through it.  

How much disassembly of the injector is involved to adapt the 22mm fastner to it?

Also, are replacement nozzle still available for the 6?

Thank-you Orangeman
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 8:04pm
Orangeman

Re the wet - we've had record rain and record floods here.  Personally pretty much OK but local towns aren't.  Phones and internet off for 2 days. 

I've just checked the tap size - it is 22 x 1.5mm metric.  You're on the right track for the rest IMO.

You only have to take the cap off the injector to get the threads for the puller. 

We had a selection of 15 injectors and got 8 useable ones from them.  So I haven't been into nozzles etc.  Minnpar say the book ones for the AC 45 are not available, but a contact here got some for a HD 11 ex Germany.  Other sources also suggest that they're available.

Incidently in the search for Torrington bearings for our grader steering I've found a local parts shop that can go from Allis numbers straight to Torrington.  They have an old I.B.I Bearing Crossreference book.  And our FA 10 parts book has a table at the back that goes from FA bearing part numbers to standard bearing talk - very handy.

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 8:12pm
Orangeman

A late thought - take a cap to check the tap when you go to the getting-place!
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 6:36am
Orangeman,

And if you want an "official" Allis injection pipe nut spanner (wrench) for Am Bosch rotaries like you should have on this if I'm reading right.

Get a picture if you can so you can see what the original looks like.  Otherwise you'll be trusting my take.  Then 

Start with a long 3/4" socket.  Leave about 1/2" at the bottom on the 3/4" hex end.  Then chop out from there to about the bottom of the square at the top to a bit more than halfway through the socket.  (I did it with a thin cut-off in a 4" angle grinder). Then slit the bottom hex so it goes over the injector pipe.  And then grind so it clears the pipes and goes between the nut and the centre dome on the injector head. 

Works on our AC 45.  Perhaps doesn't look as fancy as the original.
Jay Tyrrell View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 8:15am
Hey Orange,
Why are you pulling your injectors?
I have a HD6G that likes to hit on 3 until it warms up then I get all 4.
Could that be a injector with a funny spray pattern?
Thanks.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 1:18pm
Ian and Jay:  Ian thanks for the great tips and insights on fabricating the spanner socket, I do have access to some photos that illustrate the Allis tools for the injectors so between your description and the photos I can make what I need.  I wish I could track down a place in Germany that still sells the Bosch injection nozzle although I am not sure yet that my nozzles are bad.

Note to Jay: I am pulling the injectors because the 6 I purchased has a seized block.  Before further surgery like pulling the head, I want to remove the injectors and fill with some ATF, kroil and maybe see if I can free up the engine.   

I think if you have lots of smoke on start up that the injector spray pattern may be off. 
Good luck - Orangeman!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 2:05pm
There's alot of smoke at startup. Burns the eyes like unburn fuel. Once things warm up the exhaust is clean. I sure hope it just injectors. Thanks for the info.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 3:01pm
Orangeman and Jay

The engine manuals have acceptable spray pattern diagrams (on test bench) and tips on cleaning etc.

Endurancepower list complete injectors for the Buda types and options for the later engines - don't know how current this is.  And I saw another source which I will have to track down.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 9:41pm
Good information.

Thanks
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 3:34am
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 4:53am
More looking at Illini' part listing

Their part number for the HD 11B/early AC 45 injector holder assy matches the Allis part book.

Their nozzle number doesn't and the injector pressure listed is way higher than the Allis service manual for same, which is 2000 psi for used, 2100 new.

I don't think a marginal pump will get to the around 2800 psi that they list -our AC45 had its injectors turned down to around 1700 psi probably for this reason.

I don't know what is going on here but it looks like a place to dig before acting.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic